BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a semi-retired Brit living in Austria with a GT LE that fits me (6'5" and 280Lbs RDL et al). Over the past 40+ years I've toured the USA East-West and North-South. I'm getting very, very itchy feet again sat at home waiting out Covid-19.

A seedling of a plan has formulated. How difficult is it to ship my bike from Europe, obtain Insurance etc and use it on an extended tour, 3-5 months across the good old US of A. The bike has a UK plate.

Anybody taken their bikes across the pond, whats involved? I'm sure many have done it. I imagine insurance is the main obstacle?

Yes I could rent a bike but its never the same, especially stock seats etc. I'd like to do some serious mileage and $100-$150 a day for a GTL over three months stacks up to a **** of a lot of container time shipping my beast over AND back?

Advice and experiences appreciated.

Tony

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Contact AZK1600GTL here on the forum he has all the details of shipping his bike out of Canada to Europe. I guess you fly on the same plane as the bike and he is very happy with the company.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Air Canada have a great deal for shipping bikes to Europe from USA, so try them for shipping here. They will let you know what you have to do to temporarily import a bike into the US

@AZK1600GTL and @jfink have a lot of experience in shipping bikes and riding "internationally" ;)

Nobody in the US will check if you have insurance on the bike. Make sure you bring your EU driving license WITH a picture. I showed my old UK red book license to a LEO back in the '70s and he had a fit!

But do buy health insurance for yourself!

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
When you plan your ride here, pay attention to the weather along your route. We do get serious Summer weather in some parts of the country. The best locations in the US for riding are in the North East, the Appalachians (south of PA), the Ozarks, and the Rockies. East and West coast cities are a pain in the arse, plan transit after hours. There is very little in the middle of the country (except big balls of strings and Cadillacs growing from the ground) until you get to the Tetons. Cities such as Detroit are a great reason to keep riding.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm a semi-retired Brit living in Austria with a GT LE that fits me (6'5" and 280Lbs RDL et al). Over the past 40+ years I've toured the USA East-West and North-South. I'm getting very, very itchy feet again sat at home waiting out Covid-19.

A seedling of a plan has formulated. How difficult is it to ship my bike from Europe, obtain Insurance etc and use it on an extended tour, 3-5 months across the good old US of A. The bike has a UK plate.

Anybody taken their bikes across the pond, whats involved? I'm sure many have done it. I imagine insurance is the main obstacle?

Yes I could rent a bike but its never the same, especially stock seats etc. I'd like to do some serious mileage and $100-$150 a day for a GTL over three months stacks up to a **** of a lot of container time shipping my beast over AND back?

Advice and experiences appreciated.

Tony
Contact me anytime, I'll PM you my email. I prefer to ship via Frankfurt, since they fly NON STOP into Calgary Canada. I would AVOID shipping out of the UK as they require you to use a broker. I have a contact in Calgary that can handle all your paperwork both ways. Fly into Calgary YYC and then head south into the US. You can also fly NONSTOP into Vancouver YVR, ride south along the West Coast of the US. Drop me a line.

Victor

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Air Canada have a great deal for shipping bikes to Europe from USA, so try them for shipping here. They will let you know what you have to do to temporarily import a bike into the US

@AZK1600GTL and @jfink have a lot of experience in shipping bikes and riding "internationally" ;)

Nobody in the US will check if you have insurance on the bike. Make sure you bring your EU driving license WITH a picture. I showed my old UK red book license to a LEO back in the '70s and he had a fit!

But do buy health insurance for yourself!
I'm riding again next summer since this summer is a bust. Doing the Nordics as well as other places because you mentioned it at the TN Rally. I'll be in the EU for 3 months, come over for part of it. Open to all.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I'm a lucky boy and have travelled extensively across the length and breadth of the USA in all seasons since 1962..!! Haven't yet been to Alaska and my last planned trip into the Canadian Rockies was sadly cancelled due to the 911 attacks. I was in Montana at the time on a Gold Wing (before the K came along). Woke early that day and rode north till the evening, then realised at the nights hotel check-in that the world had changed. Sad bad days.

Anyway, now I'm retired...ish, time is not an issue. The wife loves the RDL, time for an American Adventure of note and a real Steak or three, Mom and Pop Diners, American hospitality and miles and miles of glorious tarmac 😁😁😁😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems like a fantastic adventure! Would be cool for you to make it through Yellow Stone and Custer National Parks....Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc., even if you've already been....There's great riding about everywhere and, of course, we love to entertain!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts