BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Did we ever determine if the straw floated or not? If the former, fill the tank all the way up...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eh...i keep losing guitar picks in my acoustic guitar, that method never works. They're gone forever. I vote for the blow it up vacuum
Try filling your guitar with gasoline, then using a vacuum to suck out the pick. I am sure you will find your pick among all the pieces.

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. I like it!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Okay, lets get real here. A straw made out of any material is not meant to be left in a gas tank I don't care what anyone says about it. Will it hurt anything? Who knows? Will it hurt anything over time? Again, who knows... I can't recall reading any extensive long term studies done about straws dropped in gas tanks so I don't know. I would try to grab it with a tool meant for snaring small objects. You might get lucky. If not, taking the tank off is the next step. Darn sure do not use a vacuum cleaner to try and suck it out. If the gas vapors make their way to the electric motor of the vacuum you may end up going for a ride you never expected. Good luck. Now just how did the straw make its way into the tank in the first place.
Rick H.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe a small stick, think 12" ruler, with some duct tape wrapped inside out.
DO NOT USE A VACUUM, at least with out a video!!!!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
The first plastic straws were made using toxic polystyrene (#6), but now safer polypropylene (#5) or polyethylene (#2) is favored over polystyrene, because polystyrene is brittle and tends to crack easily (just like the famous red Solo-type cups). One anecdotal way you can tell what type of straw you're drinking from is to see whether it sinks or floats: polystyrene is denser than water, causing straws to sink when placed into liquids. Polypropylene straws are much more flexible, durable and do not sink. Of course, this method is not fool-proof so if in doubt, contact the manufacturer directly to find out what materials are used.

Alcohol will damage some plastics, but not all. I will list my answers by the resin code, or "recycling symbol", found on most plastic items:

1. Poly(ethylene terephthalate), PET or PETE - PET is not very soluble in ethanol or isopropanol, but prolonged exposure may cause crazing or stiffening due to the dissolution of plasticizers.
  2. High-Density polyethylene, HDPE - HDPE is resistant to most things.
  3. Poly(vinyl chloride), PVC - PVC is not very soluble in ethanol or isopropanol, but prolonged exposure may cause crazing or stiffening.
  4. Low-Density polyethylene, LDPE - LDPE is resistant to most things.
  5. Polypropylene, PP - PP is resistant to most things.
  6. Polystyrene PS - PS is not very soluble in ethanol or isopropanol, but prolonged exposure may cause crazing or stiffening.
You cant get a better reply than this one.!! I am not going to draw straws on any other replies lol.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
K1600Forum News Update...trapped straw saga entering the eighth day. No end in sight. Anonymous sources report that Elon Musk may be funding a rescue effort...

·
Registered
550 Posts
K1600Forum News Update...trapped straw saga entering the eighth day. No end in sight. Anonymous sources report that Elon Musk may be funding a rescue effort...
lol, it might be strawing to an end soon lol.:confused::cool::p(y):unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
lol, it might be strawing to an end soon lol.:confused::cool::p(y):unsure:
I don't think so, the situation really sucks, I don't mean to stir things up but have you here is an idea ,a concept if you will. Drain the tank of fuel, fill it with water and insert a turtle. Apparently in the entire ocean a turtle can find a straw which it feels it just has to shove up its nose, forever ruining our ability to enjoy a good chocolate shake.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I'm starting to think the OP is one helll of a troll, feeding upon the helpless victims of "Winter No Bike Syndrome." Anyone else notice the OP hasn't posted an update (other than a "thanks" in the first few posts)?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Maybe he tried the vacuum idea and can't come back to update this thread! 🤣
Could be. Check on the Darwin Awards site for confirmation.

If he had switched to enviro-friendly glass or metal straws, he wouldn't be in this predicament. I wonder if it was a "Trump" straw that did him in?

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Geniuses at work and they reproduce.......

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't think so, the situation really sucks, I don't mean to stir things up but have you here is an idea ,a concept if you will. Drain the tank of fuel, fill it with water and insert a turtle. Apparently in the entire ocean a turtle can find a straw which it feels it just has to shove up its nose, forever ruining our ability to enjoy a good chocolate shake.
Would it help if it was a NINJA TURTLE? :cool::censored:

41 - 60 of 94 Posts