BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that know me realize that telling others to not ride my motorcycle is about as difficult of a task as I can do.

Right now with the Covid-19 virus on the rampage our health care facilities are or will be taxed to their maximum. So, what does that have to
do with my riding, you ask?

As caring and responsible motorcycle riders, we weigh out the risks each time we ride. We never plan on being in an accident; however, we do
want to be ready in case it should occur. Right now, our healthcare systems (hospitals, ambulances, and urgent care facilities do not have the time or
the resources available to deal with additional emergencies. Taking the risk of riding your motorcycle is an additional risk that can be avoided during these
times.

Another thing to consider, If you were to have an accident, response time as well as just requiring the use of an ambulance or emergency room is a needless
waste of resources that are needed elsewhere.

Please just keep your kickstands down for a few weeks, your area hospitals, Doctors, Nurses, and First Responders will thank you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think your request however good intended is totally dependent on geography. I get your reason, it just doesn't apply to everyone equally. You should have said, "in areas of high population or infections or healthcare strain." There are a lot of us out here with very few infections, for now, that ride alone for personal wellbeing.

Either way, I get your message, agree to be vigilant, but it is everyones independent choice based on a lot of factors as long as they don't put other people at risk.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Plus, he is making a lot of assumptions. Aside from the locale differences, there are a lot of doctors, nurses, and first responders that have nothing to do with COVID. My wife is a nurse in a hospital in a suburb of a somewhat large metro area and has seen ZERO increase in her workload due to COVID. Plus, a lot of services you'd need from a motorcycle accident are quite different than someone with a respiratory infection....different people, different equipment.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The one thing that is missing from here is the reports of covid living on fuel nozzels, if you don't take cross contamination care from the simple things, riding or not will not avoid those consequences

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The one thing that is missing from here is the reports of covid living on fuel nozzels, if you don't take cross contamination care from the simple things, riding or not will not avoid those consequences
That's a very valid point. Someone from New York posted a thread regarding that very thing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
........and my wife who is a Health Visitor/Community Nurse with the UK National Health Service (NHS) will candidly point out that in addition to the elderly/those with underlying health conditions .......also, Males/50 plus tend to suffer more/struggle to recover if they are infected with the Covid Virus. She kindly pointed out “......even Bikers can catch it!”.

Just saying...... I have no agenda and my wife is down to earth in the sense that I told her if the Police ever arrived at the house to notify her that I had been killed in a motorcycle accident then she should be aware that a few seconds before my (possible) untimely end I would have been enjoying myself - she thanked me for that comment and asked, “......better that than being paralysed from the neck down!”. My Good Lady? ........straight talking.

It’s your Life, just don’t spread the Covid virus to others who may die because of your actions .......and the secret way to spot the Virus? .......there isn’t any way to spot it, it doesn’t wear a brightly coloured hat or walk funny or look strange .......it’s invisible, door handles, taps, food cartons, mail etc etc etc .....and as another Member on here (and Mole) pointed out ......even fuel pump handles ......oh! ......and money as well! .....which is why the UK is moving away from taking cash just now, to try and cut the spread.

Carry, the right grade Alcohol Santizer & use it! .......Don’t spread it.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I'm not taking sides here because I could be that selfish one too, but those of us that like business as usual should read up on life during the depression to prepare ourselves for how life may become if we don't get through this as a Nation or worse yet as a world. The longer we drag this out by doing our own things the worse it's going to be for all of our futures, not only from the virus but worse by the crash of the global economy that's really not that far away. How many know of someone that has already lost a job, a way of life or a loved one? And we're just getting started! The domino's are starting to fall. Something to think about while we're out having fun.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
And where do we draw the line? Driving your car? Riding your bicycle? Walking and hiking? Any of these can result in a trip to the ER.

Our local health agency encourages us to get out and hike, bike, run , etc to maintain our physical and mental health. I guarantee you that I am more likely to have a serious injury while riding my road bike than riding my motor bike.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I'm not taking sides here because I could be that selfish one too, but those of us that like business as usual should read up on life during the depression to prepare ourselves for how life may become if we don't get through this as a Nation or worse yet as a world. The longer we drag this out by doing our own things the worse it's going to be for all of our futures, not only from the virus but worse by the crash of the global economy that's really not that far away. How many know of someone that has already lost a job, a way of life or a loved one? And we're just getting started! The domino's are starting to fall. Something to think about while we're out having fun.
That is the million dollar question (or 10 trillion) when we exit out of all of this. What will we have learned? What would have been worse? 2 or 3 million dead from a virus or the country dead from a depression. Time will tell. Again, I think it just depends what death affected you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
And where do we draw the line? Driving your car? Riding your bicycle? Walking and hiking? Any of these can result in a trip to the ER.

Our local health agency encourages us to get out and hike, bike, run , etc to maintain our physical and mental health. I guarantee you that I am more likely to have a serious injury while riding my road bike than riding my motor bike.
Well stated.....

My GTL is out of commission (so I can't ride), and because of all the idiots who refused to practice social distancing, most of the hiking/mountain bike trails in my area have been shut down. I've been reduced to riding my mountain bike on the locals roads, which is terrifying when cars are wizzing past you at up to 60 mph.

I know... The battle ground cry is to "stay home!". Sorry, no bueno. I am responsible enough to practice extremely safe practices when I'm out of the house, and I refuse to conform to a "one size fits all" policy. Our local hospitals are almost Covid-19 free, and many medical offices are actually laying off staff because people are too afraid to schedule appointments for "non-essential" care.

I respect anyone who chooses to stay 100% isolated even if local conditions do not in reality require it, but don't shove it down the rest of our throats. That kind of collectivist thought won't fly in the longer run.

·
Registered
488 Posts
........It’s your Life, just don’t spread the Covid virus to others who may die because of your actions ...
When symptoms aren't present the only effective quarantine is one that quarantine's those at risk.

From all the stats I read the risks of fatality are minimal with no underlying conditions. If you have diabetes, high BMI, heart or lung problems, or compromised immune systems, you probably shouldn't have contact with motorcycle riders, or anyone else for that matter. Whatever my actions are it's pretty easy to avoid me.

Tom

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If this thing ends up crashing the economy then deaths from the virus will be inconsequential compared to those from the crash. If, as Dr. Fauci suggests it might, this ends up being a seasonal flu then what are we to do, shut everything down for months at every occurrence? I am diabetic and will be just as dead if supply lines break down and I can't get insulin. I don't claim to have the answers but a dystopian world on the order of Mad Max or The Book of Eli is much, much worse than whatever the outcome of this particular virus might bring. Just my opinion, of course, but we MUST look beyond the current crisis.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Absolutely true, with regards to Plan B .......how to restart economies across the world? .......and when? This short crisis has already kicked economies back at least a year ......and if it takes month after month after month to get it under control because “people” don’t follow the “advice” then the majority suffer ......however it was always thus .....that the majority get [email protected] because of the minority.

Hey Ho ......what will be will be ......the wheels are now in motion .......when this stops and what the damage is? .......all bets are off. This “Game” is now firmly in play. Donald J is throwing Trillions at it and saying “wear a mask but I’m not wearing one?” WTF? ......of course “freedom to choose” .......the UK Prime Minister is taken to hospital tonight as he can’t shake off his Covid .......and the world spins in its sea of chaos?

Go read up on Sweden ......how they are dealing with it ......that will be interesting. If they pull it off then I’ll doff my cap to them and be interested to see the dynamics/stats that allowed them to manage it better than elsewhere .......higher percentage of the population lives alone, less close social interaction etc. ......and a decision to perhaps protect the economy first, deal with deaths as they come.

If the world struggles with it then it will most likely be a case of let the weak/vulnerable die and protect the economies, otherwise it all descends into chaos, in which case all you folk that loaded up with guns & ammo can hold out for as long as your ammo lasts .......then it’s hand to hand combat with toilet rolls & face masks. Funny thing tho..... Donald J doesn’t think he’ll wear a mask but he wants everyone tested that comes near him and he has requisitioned masks by the millions and denied them to other countries, so we hear ......but Mr President isn’t worried?

I approach Week 3 of self-isolation here in Scotland UK, apart from taking my Mother to hospital last week after a bad fall/she broke her nose etc .....a neighbour wanted to call an Ambulance however I decided to drive the 90 miles to take her to hospital and save an Ambulance for a real emergency .....12 hours waiting for Mother to get treated, had to wait outside as hospital in Covid Lockdown, no visitors, serious end of the Covid Crisis ......took Mother home just before midnight as she didn’t want to stay in hospital and with Covid a real prospect there is no point putting an 86yr old in harms way.

Nurses/Doctors dying like Soldiers in the frontline .....however some think it will never touch them, until they get a knock at the front door .......but there won’t be, as you don’t get to attend a funeral of a Covid Victim, if you’re lucky you may get a “Live Stream” of your loved one’s last journey ......quite a thought really .....all from a Virus that is just Flu?

I hope we all look back at this and say “what a load of sh!te that Covid Virus thing was ......just a big fuss over nothing”. Sincerely .......I do.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
WOW!!! Just got back from riding my bike...

Please understand the statistics/ data & quite watching the news!!

About 80% of the population will get the Corona Virus & not be affected/ know they have it. Approximately, 20% will be affected with symptoms- fever, runny nose, sore throat, pulmonary compromise, etc. Of that 20% only 1% to 2% will require hospital care/ ventilatory support/ etc. Those at highest risk are those with pulmonary conditions (COPD, on Home 02, CHF, etc), patients with multiple medical problems, immunocompromised patients, etc. If you take just a population of 50,000 that is about 100 to 200 folks. In my local community we only have about 16 ventilators. Obviously, that is not enough ventilators. By utilizing social distancing/ stop traveling across the country/ world we can see a slower spread of the disease & have the medical resourses to support those that become ill.

Eventually, we are all most likely going to get it. Remember, viruses want to live with you. They don't want to kill you. They adapt & change/ become less virulent. We develope immunity. That immunity can be obtained by immunization (Yes, they are working on it), transfer of patient plasma, etc. You normally only get the measles once. Yes, there are experimental treatments for the Corona virus. Currently, all patients in our area that test positive are given Hydrochlorquine & Zithromax. While these medication do not cure the disease there has been a shortening of the patients symptoms. Due to the dose of the antimalaria drug required many patients require daily EKG's while on the drug (can have cardiac effects) so, it must be approved/ prescribed by an infectious disease doctor.

I am sure everyone has lots of stuff that needs to done around the house (painting, cleaning, sort through stuff, farkling, etc). Hoarding & panic are only going to make this situation worse. This pandemic will pass & life will go on everywhere. Listen to the CDC, be safe and weather through it.

Best,

Doc (y)(y)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think most of this stuff is feel good measures myself. I don't think we are really doing much. Case in point these stores want to limit how many people are allowed to enter the building BUT they are all lined up outside. If it's airborne how is this helping. Please explain to me the benefit here. Sure I can see the masks being of some benefit, but there's not enough to go around. So now some are stitching their own, I doubt the effectiveness of these given the difference in materials.

I figure if I have to work everyday that I'm going to continue to enjoy my off time. Bad things can happen whether I'm working or enjoying time on the bike or in the mountains. I don't aim to be careless but I'm not going to stop living and curl up in a ball. **** If I do get it and die whatever time I spent on the bike was time well spent and time I'll never get back!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Absolutely true, with regards to Plan B .......how to restart economies across the world? .......and when? This short crisis has already kicked economies back at least a year ......and if it takes month after month after month to get it under control because “people” don’t follow the “advice” then the majority suffer ......however it was always thus .....that the majority get [email protected] because of the minority.
First, I want to say I love your sense of humor. If our paths were ever to cross, I'd be honored to do a ride and have a drink with you.

Now, to your thoughts.... My taking a break from almost total isolation to either take a ride around the neighborhood on my bicycle, or riding my motorcycle for an hour without stopping and interacting with anyone, does not make, as you say, "the majority suffer". It contributes to strengthening what's left of my mental heath. Nothing more, nothing less. On the other hand, if I lived in the middle of the hot zone in New York City, then all bets would be off. I'd crawl up in a fetal ball under the bed and wait for the coast to clear. :) But that's not the world that most of us in the US live in.

Again, the "majority" is not going to suffer if I go out for a bit to maintain my sanity. I hope this sinks in at some point.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I do indeed enjoy a banter/humour and the occasional alcohol based refreshment John.

As always, every post could have a “Warning” that the post is the “Opinion/View/Thoughts/Ranting etc” of the poster and also is based on the country they live in/location etc.

Whether humans are categorised are Cautious/Measured/Risk Taker/Gung Ho etc.....that could be added too 👍 Freedom/Restrictions/Dictatorship ......throw those in the pot as well.

I’ll go with a few thoughts for all-comers then.... (and I have no fear of Covid or much else really ......cos’ I know this ......we ALL DIE of something 😉) .......taking the US and casting our gaze around the rest of the world ......then back to the US .....why is the US the same as every other country? ......falling on its knees, job losses, trillions of dollars etc .....never mind New York (and I understand the concentration of the population in cities versus the wide open spaces - and I live in the wide open spaces in Scotland) ......why did the No1 Leader in the World not see this coming (doesn’t matter whether it’s Donald J or someone else) and react earlier? ......and that questions can be spun out across the countries that followed on from Wuhan.

........and I’ve about 10 other points I could raise .......like Soldiers in a Platoon/Regiment drilled to look after each other, transfer that mentality (that we are in this together) to the general population of any country and then examine who falls in line and who doesn’t?

.......and the majority are [email protected] by the minority in this Covid sh!te if they don’t play by the “rules/advice/guidelines” (call it what you wish)..... at least they are if infected folk just fanny about and do what they like/go where they want?

You, Me, and all those lucky Forum folk here that live in or near the wide open spaces can saddle up on their motorcycle or drive or whatever mode of transport (and unless it’s normal exercise within a reasonable distance of your home address), we can all mosey off and do our thing and infect no one if a) we don’t have it b) we don’t stop off and touch something c) keep social distancing etc .......but on that basis, if I lived in New York, when can’t I ride out to the country just like you or someone else?.......so we have selective freedom?I should be able to ride through the 50 states then, whether I know I’m infected or not? ......surely, we’re not advocating that it’s a 2 tier thing, freedom. If I ride around my empty countryside, why can’t you or anyone else ride around here too?

No offence intended, no hand grenades thrown ......it’s just my mentality that says “You know what, we’re all in this together so we’ll all pull together in the one direction”. When “freedom/rules/guidance/instructions”in a National Crisis are followed on a selective basis because someone considers their right or freedom different from mine then I’m wondering why. Is it for “ALL” or just self-application.

......and there’s Man’s Dilemma? “look after thyself or thy neighbour?” ......and that’s a thread that could run some.

The Chief Medical Officer in Scotland who stood there on TV every day saying “STAY AT HOME, SAVE LIVES”... got caught travelling to her Holiday Home 45 miles away from here main residence. In Scotland we expected her to do the right thing - she fell on her sword and resigned last night! That’s how it is here - We’re ALL in this together.

As always, my opinion/view/in the context of Scotland - but could easily be appropriate elsewhere.

I yield the floor to someone else.......

·
Registered
454 Posts

Hey Ho ......what will be will be ......the wheels are now in motion .......when this stops and what the damage is? .......all bets are off. This “Game” is now firmly in play. Donald J is throwing Trillions at it and saying “wear a mask but I’m not wearing one?” WTF? ......of course “freedom to choose” .......the UK Prime Minister is taken to hospital tonight as he can’t shake off his Covid .......and the world spins in its sea of chaos?

Go read up on Sweden ......how they are dealing with it ......that will be interesting. If they pull it off then I’ll doff my cap to them and be interested to see the dynamics/stats that allowed them to manage it better than elsewhere .......higher percentage of the population lives alone, less close social interaction etc. ......and a decision to perhaps protect the economy first, deal with deaths as they come.

If the world struggles with it then it will most likely be a case of let the weak/vulnerable die and protect the economies, otherwise it all descends into chaos, in which case all you folk that loaded up with guns & ammo can hold out for as long as your ammo lasts .......then it’s hand to hand combat with toilet rolls & face masks. Funny thing tho..... Donald J doesn’t think he’ll wear a mask but he wants everyone tested that comes near him and he has requisitioned masks by the millions and denied them to other countries, so we hear ......but Mr President isn’t worried?

I approach Week 3 of self-isolation here in Scotland UK, apart from taking my Mother to hospital last week after a bad fall/she broke her nose etc .....a neighbour wanted to call an Ambulance however I decided to drive the 90 miles to take her to hospital and save an Ambulance for a real emergency .....12 hours waiting for Mother to get treated, had to wait outside as hospital in Covid Lockdown, no visitors, serious end of the Covid Crisis ......took Mother home just before midnight as she didn’t want to stay in hospital and with Covid a real prospect there is no point putting an 86yr old in harms way.

Nurses/Doctors dying like Soldiers in the frontline .....however some think it will never touch them, until they get a knock at the front door .......but there won’t be, as you don’t get to attend a funeral of a Covid Victim, if you’re lucky you may get a “Live Stream” of your loved one’s last journey ......quite a thought really .....all from a Virus that is just Flu?

I hope we all look back at this and say “what a load of sh!te that Covid Virus thing was ......just a big fuss over nothing”. Sincerely .......I do.
What's your beef with POTUS saying "wear a mask, but I'm not wearing one"? I'm not putting on a mask that offers no real protection either. If it gets to be time to mask up, I'll be wearing something that actually works. Last I checked, the US wasn't responsible for taking care of the whole world. It's not our responsibility to fund other countries' medical disaster plans. We give enough foreign aid. Sorry if it was squandered. Time to suck it up.

So far, I have yet to see any cases due to surface transfer. If that becomes a big thing, then maybe I'll worry. At this point, the biggest threat is extroverts. My wife went to Walmart and had strangers coming up to talk to her. If this is such a big deal, then entering the 6 foot radius should be considered a threatening posture.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I feel extremely guilty that I did not show ol' Blue some attention on Sunday. On Saturday, I enjoyed a wonderful 200 mile spin around southern Indiana. Leaving home it was sunny and 60 degrees. I rode into rain about 1/2 hour out which was fortuitous for me. Because, the temp dropped to the mid 40s, I got to try out my brand new Warm N Safe heated gear. It performed better than I expected. I wish I had tried it out around freezing temps. I think the heated gear is a game changer.

Ride on my friends.

I already posted this photo on a different thread, but I didn't take too many photos. Photo is overlooking the Wabash river on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts