BMW K1600 Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm in a supposed hot spot in Santa Clara County. Last I checked we were 1.7M strong, with under 2000 known cases and about 60 deaths.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but really! We're going to continue an economic spiral over 60 effing deaths?

OK, sure. We flattened the curve. We did that by social distancing, not business closure. The hospitals here are empty because there's no elective surgery and the rest of us have been told to stay away. We've disrupted EVERYTHING about our society. Time to let some semblance of normal work itself out naturally.
John, I could not agree more and the same applies here with most of the deaths being contributed to complications, such as old age, some sort of repertory issue, heart issues, etc but a very, very small number directly contributed to the actual virus. Yet there are so many businesses going down the tube along with massive unemployment etc. I won't have to worry about paying all this back as I am retired and nearly dead, but the kids of the future have a massive debt to deal with for many years to come. Yet we are being told here that this may continue till around September, with the possibility of no sporting events allowed till 2021. I am worried about a lot of jobs and business that won't is able to come out of this the other side and our tourism is one of them that needs the dollars to survive along with so many others that get. their living from the off-spin of that alone. I hope it gets sorted so you and your wife can actually come and see what great countries Australia and New Zealand really are next year as per your plans. If you do make it and have some time in Sydney. I would be happy to come to pick both of you up and show you around the great city of Sydney and any more you have time to see.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's right piss us all of who can't get out and ride lol adding that fantastic photo is enough to make me cry.😂😎🤓🧐I trust you had a great ride and that countryside looks amazing too. Thanks for sharing ( I think )
There is something special riding through the Arizona deserts. If you ever get the chance, it’s highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
That's right piss us all of who can't get out and ride lol adding that fantastic photo is enough to make me cry.😂😎🤓🧐I trust you had a great ride and that countryside looks amazing too. Thanks for sharing ( I think )
We did have a nice ride. No stops, just riding and a short stop for lunch in a remote locations. No handshakes, just a little saddle time with no interactions with others.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
John, I could not agree more and the same applies here with most of the deaths being contributed to complications, such as old age, some sort of repertory issue, heart issues, etc but a very, very small number directly contributed to the actual virus. Yet there are so many businesses going down the tube along with massive unemployment etc. I won't have to worry about paying all this back as I am retired and nearly dead, but the kids of the future have a massive debt to deal with for many years to come. Yet we are being told here that this may continue till around September, with the possibility of no sporting events allowed till 2021. I am worried about a lot of jobs and business that won't is able to come out of this the other side and our tourism is one of them that needs the dollars to survive along with so many others that get. their living from the off-spin of that alone. I hope it gets sorted so you and your wife can actually come and see what great countries Australia and New Zealand really are next year as per your plans. If you do make it and have some time in Sydney. I would be happy to come to pick both of you up and show you around the great city of Sydney and any more you have time to see.
Brother, I love Australia! We were married at Thala Lodge in Port Douglas in 2006. Then spent a week on The Spirit of Freedom dive boat, rafted down the Tully River, and drove the scenic highway all the way north in a Highlander that we rented from two old coots in cutoff jeans shorts, no shirts or shoes, feet black from running around the garage, and I had to change a flat tire before we could leave. Then 3 days in Sydney, then black water rafting in NZ. Best trip ever.

A few years back we went to Vanuatu (not sure how that spot was selected), but got to spend another 24 hours in Sydney between planes.

I would love to spend more time in your land.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Brother, I love Australia! We were married at Thala Lodge in Port Douglas in 2006. Then spent a week on The Spirit of Freedom dive boat, rafted down the Tully River, and drove the scenic highway all the way north in a Highlander that we rented from two old coots in cutoff jeans shorts, no shirts or shoes, feet black from running around the garage, and I had to change a flat tire before we could leave. Then 3 days in Sydney, then black water rafting in NZ. Best trip ever.

A few years back we went to Vanuatu (not sure how that spot was selected), but got to spend another 24 hours in Sydney between planes.

I would love to spend more time in your land.
Good old Port Douglas I spent so many times there during the dry season and Bill Clinton loved the place as well. The local pie shop was one of the best around for miles. Just up the road is the Daintree with all the Crocs and fantastic barramundi an ugly fish but great eating. As for the Tully river its great too with the Tully
In Australia
As at 6:00am on 18 April 2020, there have been 6,533 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 36 new cases since 6:00am yesterday.
Of the 6,533 confirmed cases in Australia, 67 have died and 3,819 have been reported as recovered from COVID-19. More than 396,000 tests have been conducted across Australia.

LocationConfirmed cases*
Australian Capital Territory103
New South Wales2,936
Northern Territory27
Queensland1,007
South Australia435
Tasmania182
Victoria1,302
Western Australia541
Total6,533
  • * Note that under National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System reporting requirements, cases are reported based on their Australian jurisdiction of residence rather than where they were detected. For example, a case reported previously in the NT in a NSW resident is counted in the national figures as a NSW case.
being the wettest place in Australia and the start of the world's longest bead and milk run going all the way across to Normanton in the Gulf around about 680 klms one way. and some of the worst roads I have ever driven on, mind you a lot of that road is now sealed.
C-N-SelfDrive.jpg

·
Registered
922 Posts
There is something special riding through the Arizona deserts. If you ever get the chance, it’s highly recommended.
Similar to our outback before a lot of it was sealed there were some interesting drives that gave anyone a challenge when driving through those areas. Both in N.T. and Qld. I could tell you so many things about the areas and characters in the Australian bush lol.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I think its time people all across this country make the decision for the government to reopen. How do you do it? Get back out working and tell them to pound sand. Those of you still in hot spots should not determine the fate of the rest of the country.
It might already be happening here in GA.

There is a day care center that I pass by on my daily walk. For the past 4-5 weeks the playground has been totally empty due to the place being closed. Yesterday, I heard children playing and I was very surprised to see about 10 kids in the playground along with a few staff members so they are openly defying the GA Shelter In Place law. Parents and the staff must have come to an agreement to reopen. Love it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
John, I could not agree more and the same applies here with most of the deaths being contributed to complications, such as old age, some sort of repertory issue, heart issues, etc but a very, very small number directly contributed to the actual virus.
I’d take the distrust of statistics one step further, you have to take into account who’s doing the counting. Up until last week I asked everyone I talked to if they actually knew anyone who tested positive and hadn’t found anyone who had. With kids in both California and Virginia, our living in Florida, and being retired military who stayed in touch with friends all over the country; that’s a lot of people. Not one did.

Last week I talked to a neighbor who had a relative die In New York of Covid. His nephew grabbed his chest, collapsed, and turned blue. Wife called ambulance. Heart stopped on the way to the hospital and he was never revived, never had any Covid symptoms, and wife didn’t think he was ever tested but she was notified the cause of death was Covid.

Read the small print Darbinco provided or for your own county : ”i Cases include people who had a positive lab test and people who public health officials have determined were likely to have COVID-19 because of their symptoms and their close contact with someone who tested positive.”

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its website this week to explicitly say that cases where the infection was not confirmed by a test may now be counted. New York City authorities began reporting the deaths of people who were suspected of having covid-19 but never tested.”

The numbers health care providers submit determines the funding they receive. Put me in the skeptical column; but then again I admit I’m usually in the skeptical column. :cautious:

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
We are having a rally via caravan today where we are going to cruise through town. I think its a nice gesture but doesnt really send a strong enough message.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
The numbers health care providers submit determines the funding they receive.
And it starts at the top. Governor Cuomo has already been openly on the record as wanting federal money. Politicians are like panhandlers; they always have their hand out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm in a supposed hot spot in Santa Clara County. Last I checked we were 1.7M strong, with under 2000 known cases and about 60 deaths.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but really! We're going to continue an economic spiral over 60 effing deaths?

OK, sure. We flattened the curve. We did that by social distancing, not business closure. The hospitals here are empty because there's no elective surgery and the rest of us have been told to stay away. We've disrupted EVERYTHING about our society. Time to let some semblance of normal work itself out naturally.
The NC governor thinks the entire state is NYC. I think we have had 108 deaths in a population of 10.5 million. We've had 194 deaths from motor vehicle accidents. No word on banning cars yet.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The NC governor thinks the entire state is NYC. I think we have had 108 deaths in a population of 10.5 million. We've had 194 deaths from motor vehicle accidents. No word on banning cars yet.
If the people hadn’t resisted the 55 MPH national speed limit it would now be 35 MPH; still saving “at least 1 life”. #1 :unsure:

#1 Small print: (I know the limit was primarily to save fuel but questionable safety statistics were also used as justification)

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
If the people hadn’t resisted the 55 MPH national speed limit it would now be 35 MPH
They told us we were going to run out of gas .....

Somehow we still keep having these same dire warnings and nothing ever comes of it. One of these days, they will yell "fire" and no one will listen.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well, I managed to go riding today, My brother manages a Bus and Coach line and needed a hand cleaning some of the buses. I told him I would be happy to come and help its about a 200 km round trip through parts of our fantastic Hunter Valley and not coming into contact with anyone was a good excuse for me to finally ride without any issues about catching or passing on anything to anyone as I won't be stopping. Well, a little bit of an untrue I did stop to take a couple of pics as the old cars both got my attention and needed to be captured. Then after a few mins and with no contact with anyone I was on my way. I got home with a lot of time to wash and blow-dry the bike and put it to bed but not before readjusting the Ilium Works Highway Pegs to allow me to stretch my legs out more. My Ilium Works Heels shifter should be here within a week and so looking forward to putting that on and seeing if it is as good as the ones I had on my Roadmaster.

IMG_0090.jpeg
IMG_0089.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
This interview is a bit long and somewhat repetitive but and an interesting perspective nonetheless.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Interesting Video !!!!!!

181 - 199 of 199 Posts