BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change the plugs at 40k. I've searched the forum and checked past links but no one seems to have them in stock. Looking for a source if anyone has one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just checked the Napa in Tucson and they have them available for pickup for $14.49 each (according to their web site).

Here's the store:

NAPA Auto Parts
Genuine Parts Company
880 E 20th St
Tucson, AZ 85719
(520) 623-8621

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I called the NAPA near me but they haven't returned my call. Will make a run down to the store you suggested tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I called them. They only had 2 available. He checked the other stores and said they all had zero stock. He also said they would not be stocking them anymore. Bummer

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ordered a set of 6 (half-off!) from Sparkplugs.com back in late-August, and here's the message I received in September:

Thank you for contacting us! I do apologize when you first placed your order we had a note that the lead time for your order to ship was 3-5 business days, but we have just received an update from NGK that LMAR8AI-8 Laser Iridium Plugs are on a “National Backorder” and won’t be available till the end of November.

So, purchased them from the dealer for twice as much...

:lurk2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Summit Racing has an estimated ship date of 12/20 when I plug that part number in. Looks like the back order got back ordered.

Zach

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I ordered a set from JEGS High Performance a few weeks ago once I learned they were back ordered nation wide. $12.99 each before shipping & tax. Projected delivery date is 29 October, but it remains to be seen if that holds.

I don’t know what dealers charge, but the OEM parts fiche lists them at nearly $27.00 each.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Looks like you "could" buy them directly from NGK. But, they show national back order, too. $11.86 on their website. https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=46681 If you look at their fitment section, the K1600 is the only application for this spark plug. Makes me want to stock up on some if and when they become available. Sure could be a maintenance pinch/pain point.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I wonder if BMW dealers have to wait for the back orders too or is the pipeline, to them, filled? I only wonder this for the owners who do have their dealer install new plugs (like me). I had mine changed late summer so should be good until early summer 2020.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the bike on the lift yesterday with all the tupperware removed for cleaning. I found a bolt missing (guess it's not just Harleys) and so I stopped by the dealer in Tucson to buy one. I asked about the plugs while I was there and they did not indicate getting them would be an issue.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Why are you replacing the plugs, other than the mothership says to? We use unleaded fuel, and if the engine is in good order no reason they can't go much longer than 40K. The Valve clearance check is also ridiculously early in the engines life, remember guys it benefits BMW financially if you replace things on an accelerated program.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've had the bike two years and put a bit over 40k on it. I know the plugs can go longer but the weather is cooling off here now so I can ride the Harley while I go over the 1600. Gonna do the radiator fluid and clean everything good while it's apart. Plugs and a valve check aren't much more at that point. Brake fluid needs to be changed too. You know what they say about idle hands. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I ordered a set from JEGS High Performance a few weeks ago once I learned they were back ordered nation wide. $12.99 each before shipping & tax. Projected delivery date is 29 October, but it remains to be seen if that holds.

I don’t know what dealers charge, but the OEM parts fiche lists them at nearly $27.00 each.
If anybody is still looking for a set of NGK Iridium Sparkplugs, LMAR8AI-8, Rocky Mountain ATV has them in stock for $13.88 each plus tax and free shipping on orders over $75.

Last week I canceled my order from JEGS, which was still showing extended backorder after blowing past 2 projected shipping dates. The ones from Rocky Mountain shipped and arrived in 2 days. I didn’t realize they sold plugs and just happened to look there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts