BMW K1600 Forum banner

Is your Grand America Unstable and Hard to Ride at High Speed?

• Solid at 80 mph+, What's the Problem?

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • A little less Stable at 80+mph, still not Hard to ride or Dangerous

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Scares the Heck Out of Me at 80+ mph, Downright Dangerous

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m ready to trade my HD Ultra for a K-1600-B/GA. I've only been on 1 GA, short ride on wet roads. Got up to 90 mph, smooth and stable, although traffic wouldn't allow me to cruise, brought it up, then back down to 45. Test rides are almost impossible where I live.

I read so much about the high speed instability, some saying it's downright dangerous. My test was great, not much of a test though.

I'd like poll answers, only from riders that have at least 1k miles experience. Is the GA unstable or am I reading more from a vocal minority? I'll consider answers just up to 80+ mph or up maybe to the 101 mph limit (this group surely wouldn't go any faster, lol).
Traded my 2012 FLTRU in for a 2018 GA. First 5 minutes of the test ride I was hooked. Odo reads 4700+ miles. Had it up to the limiter several times and no issues I could discern. I LOVE this bike! I still ride my Fatboy on short runs but ride the GA to work and on longer rides. I could list pros and cons of each bike and the GA would come out way on top. Also thinking about going darkside when the rear tire needs replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m ready to trade my HD Ultra for a K-1600-B/GA. I've only been on 1 GA, short ride on wet roads. Got up to 90 mph, smooth and stable, although traffic wouldn't allow me to cruise, brought it up, then back down to 45. Test rides are almost impossible where I live.

I read so much about the high speed instability, some saying it's downright dangerous. My test was great, not much of a test though.

I'd like poll answers, only from riders that have at least 1k miles experience. Is the GA unstable or am I reading more from a vocal minority? I'll consider answers just up to 80+ mph or up maybe to the 101 mph limit (this group surely wouldn't go any faster, lol).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have over 3,000 miles on my GA and have had no stability issues. I ride on open roads almost all the time, usually over 80 and often exceed 104 while passing multiple vehicles. I know, it is supposed to be governed below 102 but mine will run a little faster before the limiter kicks in. I ride on mountain roads and across the desert, two up about half the time, and the handling is largely the same. I almost did not get the bike due to the warnings, but I have not had stability problems to any concerning degree. I always keep my tire pressure at or above specs and only do the twisties in dynamic mode, if that helps. The bike feels a little heavier than my 2012 GTL but it is more comfortable for me and my long legs.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I consider the BMW`s to be one of if not one of the safest bikes around. I am sure you would also agree with that statement as would others here on the forum. Thanks for your feedback also.
Man I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what amazes me every time I ride the bike is that it can go from, first date peck on the cheek to full-on wrestling tickle fight in the bedroom, with just a turn of the wrist! This bike just does everything so well for me it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Man I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what amazes me every time I ride the bike is that it can go from, first date peck on the cheek to full-on wrestling tickle fight in the bedroom, with just a turn of the wrist! This bike just does everything so well for me it's ridiculous.
Danny, I love your wording and got such a smile on my dial reading your reply, thanks for making my day. Take care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have over 3k miles on my GA and taken it to the speed limiter on many occasions. My observations are that 2 up its rock solid in almost all conditions and ive felt the limit is set too low. However when solo, particularly on busy motorways with lots of dirty air I find the bike is pushed about a lot once above 70 and whilst not frightening I find it unpleasant to ride near the 100mph limit. A few weeks ago I removed the top box and added a small rack. Like a different bike!! I avoid motorways most of the time anyway but with the top case removed I can at least ride on them in relative comfort now. The 1300 Pan was similar, I found it weaved at high speed with the box on, not so bad with it removed. That bike also split riders with many sayings there was no weave. I’m not sure if rider weight/shape can adversely affect a bikes handling but my money’s on air flowing around the rider and hitting the flat front of the top case causing movement of the case that is felt throughout the whole bike. Just my tuppence worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's a great day, I got my 2019 GA late Friday. I love this bike! Yesterday was a kind of a gusty day here in South Florida, rode I-75 in crowded conditions, but no trucks. At 80, was good, not as solid as the Road Glide Ultra, which I expected. At about the 108 max, was twitchy, not exactly sure footed, not dangerous either. The bike is so easy to move around at high speed, it's fun. Got to admit the Road Glide was better at high speed, was real solid at the bike's 120 limit. I lowered the GA windshield at high speed, that helped. Next highway ride in dynamic, was even better. Looks like my problem will be keeping my license, this bike want's to go fast. So smooth, I'm doing 70 thinking I'm going slower, the cruise control will be my friend. My comments are from a guy that's been riding Harleys for the last 20 years, I have one day on the GA, in not in the best of conditions. Today it's raining, I'm waiting for the break in the weather, that may or may not come.

I love this bike. So glad I made the change, the GA is quick, nimble and fun. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable at higher speeds with more experience and after playing around with different settings. Most of my over 80 mph riding is on trips anyway, covering boring stretches. The bulk of my riding is where this bike shines brightly. I love this bike!

Thanks to all that replied, good opinions from riders with different experiences and preferences. Really helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My GA is the 7th BMW I have owned. I've had it for about 16 months and have done just on 20,000 kms. I was so disappointed with it when I first got it due to the feeling that the front end got very light at about 90 kms/hr or in a slightly windy situation. The other problem was the lag in the throttle making slow manoeuvring more difficult. After a couple of months I had the stage 1 Bren Tuning done and that improved the throttle lag problem and the low speed control. Stage 2 Bren Tuning was then added making the responsiveness awesome. This still didn't help the instability which made going for a long ride a challenge as I felt that I couldn't relax. Suggestions to correct this varied widely with the top box and floorboards being blamed. The floorboards are common to the GA and the Bagger and the latter doesn't have the stability problem. I then took the topbox off to give it a trial run. It was like chalk and cheese. The bike was now stable and a pleasure to ride. It was much more like my RT which I had prior to the GA. I then also put some big spacers under the floorboards to lift them up and this may have marginally had some effect but not worth removing them.
If I had my time over I would just buy a Bagger and have the Bren Tuning done. The topbox is the culprit and is the reason there is a limiter on the GA. My bike is now fantastic!

·
Registered
932 Posts
B Chas, congratulations on the new bike I hope you have many great rides, and knowing the K1600 any of the versions will make you smile each time you ride them. Enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My GA is slightly lightfooted at 80+ with OEM tires. Never a problem because of attention paid to packing with weight down and balanced.
Rain mode on wet roads has been a life/bike saver a few times. I consider the traction control to be a must if you're into long rines and not always watching the pavement just ahead.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts