BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,924 Posts
More important question than that because choice of oil doesn't affect anyone around you.

BUT, making a lot of racket upsets nearly every other person around you. Loud bike riders think that when people turn to look at them it is because of admiration, when in reality it is disgust.

If I could have a silent motorcycle, it would be my perfect choice. This is because I want to quietly pass through the numerous small rural towns without attracting attention.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
R.L., I was more referring to opinions of what is loud.... loud, metal rattling, glass shattering noise is too loud, for me silence is too quiet. The K1600 is very quiet, the GSA a little louder, the Harley louder yet. All have a pleasant sound, none really annoying to me. Also this Harley is the quietest I've had yet, both engine and exhaust.:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Strict enforcement of existing noise limits would do. I am tired of idiots with open drag pipes and the like. Same is for cars with 'tuned' exhausts

·
Super Moderator
16,924 Posts
I understand that what sound is irritating is determined by the person listening.

What engine noise motorcyclists find pleasing is nearly always found to be irritating by the non-riding public.

That is why even Harley, as meeting Euro 3 and now Euro 4, is being forced to make quieter exhaust sound. Euro 4 has far stricter sound emission requirements.

·
Super Moderator
16,924 Posts
Seriously, if I could get the WFO Tesla performance, and the refueling convenience of a gas station, and keep the same bike weight, I'd be all over an electric motorcycle because of how quiet they are.

Countless times I have come over a hill to find that law enforcement has the laser or radar gun pointed right at me because they could hear me coming.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I don't care if it is Bikes, Pick up trucks, or cars with loud exhausts they all bother me and most of the people around me. My loudest vehicle is the R1200RTP with a stock exhaust. The K1600 with Akras is quieter and the Lexus is quieter still.
If a vehicles exhaust causes people to stop talking then it is too loud.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand that what sound is irritating is determined by the person listening.

What engine noise motorcyclists find pleasing is nearly always found to be irritating by the non-riding public.

That is why even Harley, as meeting Euro 3 and now Euro 4, is being forced to make quieter exhaust sound. Euro 4 has far stricter sound emission requirements.
I think the loud pipe thing maybe more annoying depending on where you are. Big city with lots of concrete and glass
certainly amplify the noise. Where I live and ride I just don't notice it. What I really don't like when driving my car is a sports bike passing me with a shift assist and a sonic boom right as they go by at 30 mph or more over the speed limit. I may not be a good judge of what is annoying. I live in the flight path of Luke AFB. They train a lot. It drives some of the neighbors nuts while I absolutely love the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
More important question than that because choice of oil doesn't affect anyone around you.

BUT, making a lot of racket upsets nearly every other person around you. Loud bike riders think that when people turn to look at them it is because of admiration, when in reality it is disgust.

If I could have a silent motorcycle, it would be my perfect choice. This is because I want to quietly pass through the numerous small rural towns without attracting attention.
Amen to that. If I find a quieter muffler I'd buy it

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like a throaty sound that communicates power. That certainly doesn't have to be loud though. The K1600 is a powerful engine and sounds like it, but doesn't make a lot of noise.

I've seen bikes that are so loud they set off car alarms in parking lots. That's just obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
My .02 is some noise can add to the excitement of driving or riding a high performance machine. Porsche, BMW-M, Ferrari, AMG, etc have a beautiful tone to them when you're on the gas. My K1600 with Remus sounds great to me, but I think wide open pipes I hear on so many Harley's are ridiculous and obnoxious.

Again, only my .02. Not knocking you or anyone that goes for the straight-pipe sound.

·
Registered
845 Posts
As far as I am concerned the motto of "Loud Pipes saves Lives" may be true if one rides with their head up their arse, and got into a situation where they did not comprehend defensive driving skills to where they wouldnt be there in the first place. My $.02. But I had loud pipes when I was younger, but grew out of that as I become older. Im sure theres quite a few folks here that have hearing issues from unprotected hearing in their younger days like me.
I just got back from a road trip with HD's, all were stock except one, I made it a point to stay in front of him so I could enjoy the K motor. One guy told me he couldnt hear me coming when I passed him, just a big woosh as I went by. Dang, I was at 7k too, better put it in dynamic than.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The constant drone of aftermarket pipes ahead of me is very annoying.
This is exactly why I pass all Harley's, or anything with loud pipes for that matter. I can't deal with the noise for very long.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used to firmly believe in loud pipes save lives until I realized that if you are moving, it's the people YOU ALREADY PASSED that hear you. I also used to have loud pipes on my HDs until I started riding farther than an hour away. They got annoying real fast. Now I can't stand loud bikes, cars, trucks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
when I was a MSF instructor I always countered the 'loud pipes save lives' with - most serious accidents are caused by left turners in front of you, so why don't your loud pipes face the other way?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts