BMW K1600 Forum banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Harley. I put a 2 into 1 pipe on it that extends a bit past the rear tire. It's as unobnoxious as I could find. I had a 93 FXR, I put pipes on it that extended past the rear tire a bit too.

Loud pipes are boring. Not to mention hard on your ears.

This loud pipes save lives nonsense is just that. If you need loud pipes or a horn for your safety you should not be riding a motorcycle.

If you just like the sound, like I did when at 16 I punched holes in my first cars muffler to make it loud, well ok. But there is no good reason for having loud pipes.

For me, my GTL has a fabulous exotic sound that orchestrates from that incredible engine. I used to own a 99 996 Porsche, same thing, not loud but exotic and pure music.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Question is where can I get said sticker? Eventually I'll get a scratch somewhere and need one ;-)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe in 'Live & Let Live'. Yes there are some loud pipes that are too loud for my appreciation & there are loud pipes that have a deep soulful sound that don't concern me at all. Conversely I've travelled behind a screaming multi cylinder bike fitted with oem exhausts whose sound grated on me. I do not think we should be looking to restrict or ban loud pipes though. In the UK there are car drivers who take exception to motorcycles filtering (Lane splitting for our Colonial Cousins 😁) and want that banned; and there are Pub landlords who ban anyone turning up on a motorcycle from entering their establishments. (Even my advancing years & white beard didn't get me in!). I'm sure there are those who think a six cylinder motorcycle of gargantuan proportions is totally excessive and consume a disproportionate amount of the worlds natural resources given current speed limits and feel production of these should be banned too. Driverless cars are currently being tested for mass introduction and there are proponents who say their inevitable presence and motorcycle use are incompatible on Health & Safety grounds alone. The point I'm making is that we cannot afford to be intolerant of motorcyclists whose views of noise don't conform to our own. In the fullness of time ever stricter emission laws & anti -tampering legislation will ensure conformity to imposed decibel limits for all vehicles.

I believe we truly need to practice a little tolerance amongst ourselves whilst at the same time maintaining a watchful eye on Legislators and those who would see our presence on the roads banned altogether.
Have to say it. I may not like it but Im not going to ban it. You never know when you will end up on the other side of a ban.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have aftermarket pipes on my BoxerCup, they give it a beautiful low rumble but not obnoxious at all.
What does annoy me about loud pipes is when groups of bikes pull into town how they like to keep checking that the throttle still works over and over - braaap braaap until they finally shut the bike down.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I used to firmly believe in loud pipes save lives until I realized that if you are moving, it's the people YOU ALREADY PASSED that hear you. I also used to have loud pipes on my HDs until I started riding farther than an hour away. They got annoying real fast. Now I can't stand loud bikes, cars, trucks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tongue in cheek, sound travels a tad faster than even a K? Doppler effect as you pass maybe, but I think people can hear you coming regardless :D

That said we have a BMW i3 Electric Car for local shopping etc. Its virtually silent, which can and does present its own problems. If only I had a $ for every time some pedestrian walked out in front of me having not heard us coming.....:eek:

181 - 186 of 186 Posts