BMW K1600 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found that either ear plugs or a MP3 player works nice for me. Just bought the K1600GT, and still need to do a long trip in order to scope the wind noise, etc. out a bit. Came from a 2008, Kawasaki 1400 Concourse, better known as the 1400GTR in South Africa.

·
Outta This World
2,014 Posts
It's in the beholder. I still miss setting off car alarms with my Harley.
As a teenager, we had a 63 ford Econoline van that you could shut off, pump the gas a couple of times and start again and it would backfire really loud, every time. Really good for setting off car alarms, freaking out guard dogs (they thought they were being shot at), and generally scaring the crap out of your friends. One day an old lady who was carrying groceries (who we didn't see) threw her groceries all over the place, I stopped and jumped out, my buddy drove off, and she thought I was a hero for helping her out. I tried to tell her that it was me that scared her but she wouldn't have any of it, offered to pay me.. I felt like a real well,, you can guess. Now, I really don't like loud pipes but I don't run around making a big deal out of it. I do feel like they are an overall negative part of the experience when I am riding with a bunch of Harley guys.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I found that either ear plugs or a MP3 player works nice for me. Just bought the K1600GT, and still need to do a long trip in order to scope the wind noise, etc. out a bit. Came from a 2008, Kawasaki 1400 Concourse, better known as the 1400GTR in South Africa.
Nothing to do with your post, or this thread, but just pointing something out.
This is not the first time I've seen this, but most new members can't post outside of the "new member" section until they have 3 posts. It only shows that you have two posts and yet it allowed you to post in this thread. I must be missing something.
The reason I bring this up is because so many new members don't read the rules and get confused because they can't post. See their comments quite a bit, and someone usually explains to them that they have to have 3 posts to be approved to post in all threads/sections, which supposedly is to keep spammers from posting all over the forum.
Sorry for the interruption. Now I will return you to our regularly scheduled programming.
Best.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
As a teenager, we had a 63 ford Econoline van that you could shut off, pump the gas a couple of times and start again and it would backfire really loud, every time. Really good for setting off car alarms, freaking out guard dogs (they thought they were being shot at), and generally scaring the crap out of your friends. One day an old lady who was carrying groceries (who we didn't see) threw her groceries all over the place, I stopped and jumped out, my buddy drove off, and she thought I was a hero for helping her out. I tried to tell her that it was me that scared her but she wouldn't have any of it, offered to pay me.. I felt like a real well,, you can guess. Now, I really don't like loud pipes but I don't run around making a big deal out of it. I do feel like they are an overall negative part of the experience when I am riding with a bunch of Harley guys.
Good one.
While I'm derailing this train.....
Rode 75+ miles one way home from work when I was 21, almost all 2 lane backwoods roads.
On one long straight stretch at about pitch black 1:30 a.m. while I'm doing about a buck twenty or so I saw a vehicle coming from the other direction....
.....right before the car gets to me, his lights go out, and my Honda headlight wasn't bright enough to see the car coming, which scared the heck out of me because I didn't know what he might be in my lane or what.......
........as the car gets close, I could hear uncapped headers of the car over my shorty, straight pipes on my four cylinder Honda doing near redline.....
....again, scared the heck out of me, but it gets worse.....
....just as the car passes me going in the other direction, it backfires out the exhaust.
I had recently turned 21 and had my new friends Smith and Wesson with me...
...wonder I didn't go to jail that night, but cooler heads prevail.... did I say that right?
Also, I didn't want to go to jail without clean underwear.

I later found out that people up in the sticks had learned that if you turn the key off while cruising, pat the accelerator a dozen times, then turn the car back on while you were passing/meeting another vehicle...... well, they thought it was funny. I did not.

Again, I return you back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Best.

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
@Harleymarlboroman - gotta ask you what is that contraption underneath the GTL in your sig line?
Darryl is 98 years old and I'm sure the oldest forum member. He does not want to give up on his love for 2 wheel riding but is weak and frail. Those training wheels allow him to keep riding the big K. He doesn't see too well but nobody can stay with him in the twisties. He is an amazing man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothing to do with your post, or this thread, but just pointing something out.
This is not the first time I've seen this, but most new members can't post outside of the "new member" section until they have 3 posts. It only shows that you have two posts and yet it allowed you to post in this thread. I must be missing something.
The reason I bring this up is because so many new members don't read the rules and get confused because they can't post. See their comments quite a bit, and someone usually explains to them that they have to have 3 posts to be approved to post in all threads/sections, which supposedly is to keep spammers from posting all over the forum.
Sorry for the interruption. Now I will return you to our regularly scheduled programming.
Best.
Off topic, with respect...

I really cant tell you how this was possible, as I'm still waiting for Admins/ Moderators to approve my "introduce yourself" posts. Dropped a pin in the location thread, but cant change my avatar, or access my own profile.

Have a great day further...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not a big fan of the loud aftermarket pipes that many have on their Harleys here in Scottsdale. With that said I am considering the Remus slip ons for my K1600B. Don't want "Loud" but would like a bit more rumble to it.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Reactions: Chris H and WillH

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Darryl is 98 years old and I'm sure the oldest forum member. He does not want to give up on his love for 2 wheel riding but is weak and frail. Those training wheels allow him to keep riding the big K. He doesn't see too well but nobody can stay with him in the twisties. He is an amazing man.
It is obvious that you and all those who "like" your post are against us B guyeez and just here to cause trouble. I am thinkin' about reporting you to the B police. Better yet, I may just pedal my bike over to the Alamo state and invite you out behind the forum. If you think the texicans gave you a whoopin', just wait.... I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was; as long as it don't take more than 30 seconds to give you a whoopin'. >:)

P.S. I didn't even get one like for my post; but you got like a zillion likes for posting that garbage? Ha! Stay thirsty my friend. Love ya, bro.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
BTW, IIRC, Pete at LegUp by Chopper Design made a one off version of the landingear for a paraplegic so that he could continue riding his Yamaha R6 after his recovery from an accident. Pro Bono. Great guy. These systems really do help a lot of folks confidence in handling some of these big bikes at low speeds, stopping, starting off and backing. I'm more happy that he is helping so many that are in worse shape than I. I'll never get the feeling back in my right leg, but I'm not going to let it stop me from riding. I'm sure there are many who have given up riding due to physical conditions that the landingear may have been able to help keep them going much longer.
This type of system is not new. Been around for many years. In fact, I believe a company in Japan was the first to make something similar for the GoldWing years before Pete started building them. I remember seeing a few GoldWings with them back in the early 2000's, IIRC.
To answer a common question, no, I haven't had them drag the ground in corners, even though my footboards do.
And to keep this on topic, the landingear really compliment my HD pipes really well. :surprise:
Best.

Reactions: K16guy

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
It is obvious that you and all those who "like" your post are against us B guyeez and just here to cause trouble. I am thinkin' about reporting you to the B police. Better yet, I may just pedal my bike over to the Alamo state and invite you out behind the forum. If you think the texicans gave you a whoopin', just wait.... I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was; as long as it don't take more than 30 seconds to give you a whoopin'. >:)

P.S. I didn't even get one like for my post; but you got like a zillion likes for posting that garbage? Ha! Stay thirsty my friend. Love ya, bro.
My post was very complimentary Darryl. I can only hope I possess that level of perseverance when I reach your age...

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
My post was very complimentary Darryl. I can only hope I possess that level of perseverance when I reach your age...

I feel the love. I just hope you reach my age. :grin:

BTW, here is a sloooow Japan custom system.

This one is from Korea. First one is a 14 GTL.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
@Harleymarlboroman

I bought a B instead of the landing gear.:smile:

I have seen those advertised for Harleys - First one I have seen on a BMW.

You obviously like it and it works for you so money well spent.:tb

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
All kidding aside, I am familiar with the landing gear and think it is a fantastic modification for anyone needing a helping hand with low speed or stand still stability. I'm getting older at what feels like brisk pace and would not hesitate installing these to extend my riding life a few extra years to due to my deteriorating knees. They are an excellent option for short people and anyone with ankle, knee or hip issues. It's good to know they exist because you never know when you might need a little help for whatever reason.

For the B owners that take everything so seriously, Darryl is NOT 98 years old!

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
For the B owners that take everything so seriously, Darryl is NOT 98 years old!
Not yet, but hopefully will be one day!!!
Hope to see you at that ripe old age, CH.
Best.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts