BMW K1600 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 K1600GT Sport Edition
307 Posts
Been there done that. Had a 4 into one pipe on a Ninja, slip ons on a FJ, different systems on big bore Harley's. Now.... I love the tuned performance sound of my B above 4000rpm with the stock exhaust. The only reason I would ever change them would be to maybe get something smaller......not louder. I don't diske the look of the stock pipes enough to spend any $ on changing them. Too many other practical things on the list.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
HATE THEM!!!

Every time I hear straight pipes on a V-twin I cringe and chuckle at the notion that "loud pipes save lives" and think "no, they're just f-in loud and annoying as h3ll." Learning how to ride on a bike that performs better than a Big Wheel will actually save lives.

"The most efficient way to convert gasoline to noise."
:cheers:

Footnote - attributing "learn how to ride" statement above to the weekend pirate who throws leather on and tries to look cool while annoying the fuc* out of everyone within 10 miles.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
My rule is simple: the louder your pipes, the faster I'm gonna pass you.

If you insist on being an obnoxious asshöle, then you can do it behind me...

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Someone gave me a patch which reads "LOUD PIPES ANNOY PEOPLE". Many of those with loud pipes think the noise alerts others of their presence. They may, but only after you pass them. I suppose loud pipes could be aimed forward to solve that but how do avoid stuff in the pipes like water, rocks, etc?

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Someone gave me a patch which reads "LOUD PIPES ANNOY PEOPLE". Many of those with loud pipes think the noise alerts others of their presence. They may, but only after you pass them. I suppose loud pipes could be aimed forward to solve that but how do avoid stuff in the pipes like water, rocks, etc?
Easy... Make it mandatory that the pipes terminate at and point directly toward the rider's ears... >:)

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
I miss my Harley sometimes. Nothing like setting off all the car alarms in a parking garage.
Well, there is pinning someone down and farting in their mouth, but yer right, that comes nowhere near the level of an exhaust loud enough to trip car alarms.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,480 Posts
And there are lots of good reasons to modify an exhaust system that don’t involve extra noise, per se: Appearance, weight savings, tone apart from volume, performance gains, etc.

Any jackwagon who wants any bike to sound loud as he11 can just run straight pipes, and they’ll ALL be loud. I’m pretty sure a Vespa would make a lot of noise with no muffler.

But I hate them. If you have loud pipes in front of me, I’m with Meese on that one; my only mission in life is to pass you until I put you behind me.

And even though I’m sure I don’t ride anywhere near as well as a lot of folks on this forum, I’ve never had any trouble getting around a deafening jackarse. Heck, even the loudest sportbikers off a racetrack are the slowest ones, at least in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Meese

·
Bubonic
1,139 Posts
I prefer louder bikes because the sound helps me echo-locate when I'm in traffic. The sound of the bike bouncing off of the glass, rubber, cement, and metal around me helps me gauge my proximity and relationship to it all, and enables me to make informed decisions about getting away from it.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I prefer louder bikes because the sound helps me echo-locate when I'm in traffic. The sound of the bike bouncing off of the glass, rubber, cement, and metal around me helps me gauge my proximity and relationship to it all, and enables me to make informed decisions about getting away from it.
Where can the rest of us get that "bat" mod? Do you drill ear holes in your helmet (football-style) to let you best use this amazing adaptation? :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Where can the rest of us get that "bat" mod? Do you drill ear holes in your helmet (football-style) to let you best use this amazing adaptation? :huh:
As funny as this concept is, I have a relatable story...

Way back when, in my less-educated youth, I was riding my K75s sans helmet down I-90 in Montana. A small sedan was in the process of making an extremely SLOW pass in the left lane and got stuck in my blind spot for a while. I wasn't paying much attention to them but suddenly I heard the shshh-shshhh-shshh of their right front tire riding over the dashed lines separating our lanes. I instinctively took evasive action (throttle and swerve) and looked over my shoulder at the same time only to see this idiot continue their lane change right into the space I was just occupying. If this same situation were to happen today* with my full-face helmet and ear buds, I would never hear them coming.

*It won't happen today because I do not allow a vehicle to remain in my blind spot more than absolutely necessary and even then I am constantly monitoring their position with head checks and mirror bobbing...

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Sounds like you need to carry a can of Car Spray...

·
Bubonic
1,139 Posts
I saw somewhere "bat mod" could be acquired by being tossed into a well full of bats and left there for a couple of days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
IMO loud as in high decibels is plain noise pollution. A nice tone exhaust is great. Several aftermarket exhausts give you better tone and very little additional db levels. When people remove baffles or have open pipes then it is just ridiculous, be it a HD or a CB 500 and anything in between.
I personally like the stock exhaust tone of the GTL I just purchased - quiet when just cruising but very exciting when you go on the throttle. I have Triumph branded accessory exhausts on my Bonneville and they also sound just right, British twin sound, very slightly louder than stock and neighborhood friendly, but they bark when you open the throttle...

I would like to buy the car repellent spray!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
IMO loud as in high decibels is plain noise pollution. A nice tone exhaust is great. Several aftermarket exhausts give you better tone and very little additional db levels. When people remove baffles or have open pipes then it is just ridiculous, be it a HD or a CB 500 and anything in between.
I personally like the stock exhaust tone of the GTL I just purchased - quiet when just cruising but very exciting when you go on the throttle. I have Triumph branded accessory exhausts on my Bonneville and they also sound just right, British twin sound, very slightly louder than stock and neighborhood friendly, but they bark when you open the throttle...

I would like to buy the car repellent spray!
Can I expand this discussion. This hits a nerve with me. Riddle me this Batman. what do all motorcycles, and cars came from the factory with open straight pipes. And in order to get a muffler you had to apply for a “stamp” from the government. The cost would be upwards of $350 For the application fee. And the wait time on getting your stamp would be roughly 6 months or even longer. And, with that stamp you could now legally purchase a muffler. But beware, You would always help to have that stamp paperwork with the muffler that is attached to your vehicle. And no one else can use that vehicle with that muffler unless that paperwork is with them. you were always up to have that stamp paperwork with that muffler that is attached to your vehicle. And no one else can use that vehicle with that muffler unless you along with that paperwork is with them. Else it is a federal offense. I am a sports shooting enthusiast. Welcome to my world in trying to obtain and use just a simple suppressor.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
IMHO, it comes down to personal property and public property: What you do on your own property is your own business (as long as you are not affecting anyone else) but when on public roads/land/buildings then you are going to be subject to laws and controls.

OTOH, you can make all the laws that you want but who is going to enforce them? Here in GA we can't even get people to put their phones down so it is highly unlikely that a motorcyclist, and especially if that motorcyclist is a gang member or riding in a group, is going to get pulled over for loud pipes (or any other minor infraction).

161 - 180 of 186 Posts