BMW K1600 Forum banner

Would you like to see a Political Discussion sub-forum?

• Yes

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 56 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, political threads are not permitted on this forum. Is there any appetite here for us to ask Administration for a sub-forum for political discussions? The main thing to remember is if you do not want to engage in political discussions, just don't click that sub-forum! It's very simple. I know I for one, could discuss politics "and other touchy, heated topics" where personal opinions are very strong and some disagreements will occur, but when I go to another sub-forum and my nemesis from the political thread is having bike or travel issues, I'd still be most certain to offer helpful advice (if i had any helpful advice). For me, whatever disagreements would occur in a new Political Sub-Forum, would most certainly stay there. We are all here for the common reason of interest in the K1600, and in slow-times (winter, etc) it would be nice to engage in other topics too sometimes. Remember, you would only see political discussions if you click on it. Entry would be optional!!!
DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL THREAD. SIMPLY VOTE YES OR NO IF ITS SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE ADMINISTRATION TO CONSIDER. It can't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I view this forum like a social club. A virtual bar of sorts. Come in and have a spirit or two of high speed shenanigans or mechanical engineering bravado, etc. and leave the stresses of work and life behind for a moment. There is some good-natured D measuring here and there or some ribbing and braggadocio. The is some crying over breaking hearts and drive trains. We cajole, we rub elbows an meet new folks and make some plans for life outside the confines of the meeting hall. Be it a dark alley dive or top shelf brass rail, someone wise once said there are things you don't discuss...religion and politics. Oh it pops up now and again, but it never seems productive or worthy of mention. So I'm on the fence. On the one hand, maybe a back room for folks to go to keep it out of the front end fun might be a sound solution. My concern is that it taints the whole place. Then again, having arguments, errrr I mean discussions, can't be bad for democracy or the representative republic. So I talked myself into a Yes vote. People should continue to hammer out differences of opinion and having a space to do that might keep it from bubbling up in areas where we should have a respite from such brow beating when we've had enough of it from the media and misguided friends and family, no matter how good their intentions.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
There are already political discussions going on in many of the threads. It would be nice to relegate them to a specific sub-forum and leave the other threads alone. I voted yes.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
No. It will be short lived and will turn this place into a zoo.
Want to talk politics? Move over to ADV Rider and see why they're called "Inmates".
Just my $.02.

Oh. The Valkyrie Forum is another good place to experience politics + motorcycles run amuck.

Joe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh, let joy be unconfin'd - a referendum! ;-)

I vote no, because at the moment, a political discussion in the forum is tempered and self moderated to a degree by the fact that it if it gets out of hand, the thread will be closed down, which encourages everyone to "play the ball, not the man"

I fear that with a dedicated sub-forum, discussions might fractious and can't easily be closed down with the phrase "this is a motorcycle forum"

I've no objection to political points being made on the forum, it's unavoidable. Politics speaks to almost everything we do (emissions, laws, work, motorcycle design, etc), but it's not fair to ask our very good moderators, who, in my opinion, operate with a light touch, to moderate *solely* political discussions. I don't reckon they signed up for that.

Joe

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
We should only talk about politics if we can also talk about religion, global climate change and gun ownership. I am being cheeky.

I don't believe it is the topic which is the problem, I believe it is the division and propagated mistrust. I can sit with anyone I have met thus far (except one - you know who you are) and speak my mind with a civil tongue. I can acknowledge the differences between us and still believe you are a decent human due a measured portion of respect.

I am not religious, you may be and I am glad that gives you comfort; just don't try to convince me or believe me less than you are. I am a northerner, but I really enjoy my time with the good folks I have met in the South. I am a centrist, but I believe anyone who acts with honor and respect and truly feels the continuance of this democracy is more important than their individual beliefs is deserving of my respect and support. I am a patriot because I challenge the status quo when it is against the interest of this country or my people. I hate bullies and arrogance. All I care about is the character of the person.

And I truly believe there is a nefarious element in this country stoking fear and prejudice. I do not believe an open forum here on these sensitive subjects can be maintained unless the participants pledge to keep a civil tongue first.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
One way for a political sub-forum to work would be to have two main political sub-forums (D's and R's) with people registering on which one they will participate in. Personally, I've never seen where a person of one persuasion has been convinced to agree with the other's persuasion and both back up their mindset with myriad of statistics. It's a jungle out there. If the sub forum was made to where it's threads didn't show up in the "Active Topics" listings so you would have to deliberately pick that category, I'd say go for it. If they did show in the Active Topics, who can or would restrain themselves from watching a train wreck?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Established in 2011 and doing well proves the concept is working. Let's leave R&P 'discussions' to dedicated venues like most Harley forums...................

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I can appreciate why you may feel that way Steve. My concern is that the problem is, to begin with, an "us versus them" thing. The seed of distrust is sown when phrases like "that **** [insert party]..." come up; these are divisive in nature.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yeah...I vote No.

As some of the migrated users here will remember, we tried just that at BMWLT.com by creating a special "The Crapper" forum for politics, religion, guns, etc. I even won an "award" for my contributions to that forum. :D

The idea was to quarantine those posts while still allowing members to voice their opinions. Site-wide rules for civility and decency still applied, with maybe a little lighter moderation. After all, we're all adults, right?

What happened, to no one's big surprise, its that it quickly became a lot of posturing and arguing and blathering, with no useful result.

Nobody changed their minds, nobody learned anything, and everyone just walked away mad and even more entrenched.

And I fear that it would be even worse now, as politics has devolved much further into the partisan Us-against-Them quagmire, no matter which side of the divide you happen to fall on any given subject.

As such, I will never start a purely political discussion thread here, as this simply isn't the place for it.

I will also not back away from calling out posts that have an inherently biased slant, either. If you put it out there, then you gotta expect to get differing opinions once in a while. We are all adults, right?

Not all of us here feel the same way about religion, politics, etc., and that's OK—as long as we can all agree to disagree and not take every opposing word personally. After all, we are (mostly) all Americans...

So the best thing for site-wide civility and general mental heath is to just leave it alone.

As long as we primarily stick to motorcycles then we can focus on what we share instead of what we disagree on.

And everyone is happier...

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I guess the off topic forum is a compromise already.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I come on here to chat with equally minded folks when it comes to K16 bikes.
The recent train wreck of a political thread only proved the point that in today's climate, seemingly similar folks become complete aholes when politics is being discussed. I learned a lot about some folks reading that thread and didn't post because I didn't want to become part of that on this forum.
There are probably 2 people on here that I completely ignore currently but if we start to have political debates, I can bet that my list will skyrocket due to the fact that normal people can't help themselves to act like children when they talk politics. Let's keep that from happening. We have a great thing here

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
I voted NO for one reason.
It has been a surprise to me how moderators let discussions get too far out of hand before closing a thread of such, and rarely delete it.
Even more surprising is how some moderators seem to stir the pot as much or maybe even more than others.
I like making friends here and R&P won't help that any IMHO.
Best.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Though the entertaining of a political subforum, together with the expected response does speak volumes about us humans.

Why can't we, as a species, accept our community is actually global. Why do we see only value within our immediate tribe? As a species, if we worked in concert as ants do, with a focus on the good of the community, we would be much more evolved.

We would also be twice the population. Answering my own rhetorical question, it's Darwinian. We have no enemies except ourselves and wee-little bugs. Left unchecked we become the blight.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
@djfalkenstein, your example for a kumbaya world, an ant colony, assumes everyone does their part. In every nation on this earth you have now and always will have a mixture of rich, poor, middle class, sick/lame/lazy, etc. :)

Duane

·
Registered
537 Posts
If there is a politics forum, it is my opinion that it should not ever show up in the Active Topics. It is sometimes hard to ignore without rebutting, if no other reason than to not appear to tacitly agree with an extreme position on something. That goes for all sides on various issues.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
I voted no but agree with those comments above that if there is it should NOT show up in Active Topics. I for one am tired of the whining coming from the libitards spreading fake news. :)

Duane

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I voted no but agree with those comments above that if there is it should NOT show up in Active Topics. I for one am tired of the whining coming from the libitards spreading fake news. :)

Duane

I agree but I tell them that if I agreed with them, we'd both be wrong.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.