BMW K1600 Forum banner

Would you like to see a Political Discussion sub-forum?

• Yes

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 56 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
I voted no but agree with those comments above that if there is it should NOT show up in Active Topics. I for one am tired of the whining coming from the libitards spreading fake news. :)

Duane
Does the smiley face mean you aren't trolling?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
If there is a politics forum, it is my opinion that it should not ever show up in the Active Topics. It is sometimes hard to ignore without rebutting, if no other reason than to not appear to tacitly agree with an extreme position on something. That goes for all sides on various issues.
This is actually a good idea. I wasn't sure I was going to comment until I saw this novel suggestion, precisely because I'm such a strange bird on argument I'm not sure my vote should count. On the one hand, I don't want this relatively copacetic community about K16s to get P.O.'ed at each other.

On the other, I'll admit that while I disagree with attacking the person, I don't get offended very easily at all by words, and I love arguing. For the debate team, in college; for work; and as John Cleese said in The Argument Clinic, "I could be arguing in my spare time":

I frequently wish folks would be less sensitive about such issues, but it's just not the way things usually are. Generally, though, the smarter the group, the less likely someone is to get bent out of shape over a simple disagreement, so that should speak well for this intelligent bunch. And a truly legitimate argument, instead of a dumb, verbal "fight," is one of the best ways to learn, grow, and have an open mind expanded and be introduced to different viewpoints.

I remember reading somewhere, though, that the only folks whose views could frequently be changed on politics or religion were people of average intelligence. Idiots get mad and start throwing punches, and the smart folks already know what they think, and are usually "listening" for a way to "defeat" the other person's point.

So...I'll leave you with an argument joke: How do you know you're winning an argument with a redneck? He says, "Oh, yeah? Well I reckon' I can whip that azz." :grin:

·
Registered
545 Posts

So...I'll leave you with an argument joke: How do you know you're winning an argument with a redneck? He says, "Oh, yeah? Well I reckon' I can whip that azz." :grin:
Another argument joke:

You shouldn't try to teach pigs to sing. It'll frustrate you and it annoys the pigs.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
We used to have a political type of forum called the Crapper and my guess is that it got out of hand and for that reason, was removed. I'd prefer to keep this strictly motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I have the least amount of posts on this forum and certainly one of the junior members but my humble opinion is fine with the sub forum. I reserve the right to skip it if I'm not in the mood but I'm from the mindset that I can read and listen to any one of your opinions on things. I haven't met anyone personally so I'm not sure if that makes it easier but I simply don't judge that way. Believe it or not, I read everyone's input and I related to some, believed some and some made me think a little. Personally I like that. Not offended, didn't sour my love for 2 wheels and all I needed to do was open the other 10 active posts to divert myself away if I needed to. They are just words, one man's thoughts, not threatening and doesn't make me want to shout back and make it personal.

I can't argue with anyone that says this is a K1600 forum so lets keep it that way, I do get that.... and the vote will decide. But I like listening to smart people who have views on what they are passionate in and have experience in. This will always be primarily an MC forum, no doubt, but a little of life's passion sprinkled in from time to time, to me, is alright.

You have to admit it created some good dialog. Little do you all know I was going to hijack the thread after a few of the tense posts and ask what weight oil everyone uses in their K. I didn't want to get banned though. Like I said, I'm still a Junior :wink:

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Nah, it's just a juvenile way to sneak in a weak insult, then claim "It's just a joke, man, chill out!" ;)

I frequently wish folks would be less sensitive about such issues
As do I. And a large part of that is being able to separate your ideas and opinions from your worth as a person. You should be able to defend your position and take criticism without feeling personally attacked. Otherwise, you're simply entrenched and can never really learn or consider anything new.

But I have faint hope of that when some folks can get all bent out of shape just discussing motorcycles alone...

have an open mind expanded and be introduced to different viewpoints.
Alas, if only that was everybody's goal here and in the world at large...

How do you know you're winning an argument with a redneck? He says, "Oh, yeah? Well I reckon' I can whip that azz."
I won't claim that I'm always winning my arguments, but I sure can say that if I'm being attacked personally or physically threatened, even in a seemingly "joking" manner, then the other guy has well and truly lost... ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think if you get physically threatened and it’s followed thru, you may win morally but from 6’ under- you’ve lost. No thanks. I fight when I have to which luckily is infrequently - no need to hurt or kill over words.

I voted no. I just started using the power of the ignore button. I don’t want to hear anyone’s politics. Now if it’s Joke - ok but we can do w/o “libtard” or other derogatory terms.

My $.02 and worth what y’all paid me for it.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
I voted No for one single reason.

When we keep the discussion to motorcycles we all get along with very few exceptions.

When we mix in politics it does nothing raise tensions and bring hard feelings between members who are normally cordial to each other.

I'll talk guns all day though! Heading out for trap club right now!

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I'll restate a favorite quote, "It's a joke, not a dikk, don't take it so hard." Those that know me on here will tell you to rest assured I'm saying nothing on here that I wouldn't say in person. There is no 'official' definition for libtard. I reserve use to describe someone suffering from derangement syndrome. :) And, as always, I'll lend a helping hand to anyone in need. :)

Duane

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
I've spoken with (@Gunnert) Duane and I can testify he is a solid individual; just speak slowly. Career Army.

Ladies and Gentlemen I have made a mistake; Duane alerted me he is not career Army, but rather career Navy. My deepest apologies to the Army.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Hey Mr. Jeff Celletti thanks for this **** storm of a Gem you posted: Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip with some buddies that still ride Harleys "exclusively". It finally came to me that "exclusive" die hard Harley riders are like Trump supporters. They bought into something based on the name and refuse to believe there is a much better option even when its proven to them through facts, because if they did then they would be admitting they made the wrong choice and that's not going to happen with either of them.\\\\\\ Get your political opinions, and shove them where the sun don't shine. If you suffer from Trump derangement Syndrome keep that **** outta here. I don't give a **** about your politics, what God you worship, or who you sleep with, if you wanna cause a **** storm find someplace else to do it.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
"It's a joke, not a dikk, don't take it so hard."
With quite a few LGBTQ friends and having lived through the AIDS fear and stigmatism of the 80's, I actually find that offensive as well, "joke" or not...

Those that know me on here will tell you to rest assured I'm saying nothing on here that I wouldn't say in person.
And I'd just as quickly call you or anyone else out in person...

There is no 'official' definition for libtard.
That's because it's a made-up word, specifically designed to abuse and trivialize those who just happen to think differently than you do.

Y'all may note that I specifically stay away from the derogatory term "redneck", even if it does apply quite well in certain cases. ;)

Because that's not how reasonable adults communicate their differences...

I reserve use to describe someone suffering from derangement syndrome.
Funny, that's how most of my social circle sees y'all when you go on spouting this crap. :)

So either I've got it wrong, or you've got it all wrong, or just maybe, there are outside forces specifically pushing and prodding and proselytizing just to stir up trouble and unrest and general chaos... ;)

And, as always, I'll lend a helping hand to anyone in need.
As will I, even if it seems like it's always the blue states producing and the red states taking the handouts...

But I would never turn away a friend or stranger in need if there was something I could do to honestly help. I just may choose to wash my hands afterwards... :D

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I think if you get physically threatened and it’s followed thru
None of these threats, real or "joking" are ever followed through, even when meeting such folks in person.

It's just egos bashing against each other, and some choose to take it more personally than others. Which is really too bad.

I'd still ride with any of y'all, but I'm sure not slowing down just so some of y'all can catch up... :k16:

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
ProTip Duane: You can believe that Trump is an utter imbecile with zero redeeming qualities, and that fact alone would have nothing to do with Obama or either Clinton or Bernie or Pelosi or anyone else...

Y'all are just lucky that AOC isn't yet 35, as that possibility would really mess with your brains.

Is it 2028 yet? :lol:

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
So, after reading all of the above, does anyone still think that having a dedicated political forum is a good idea here?

No?

·
Registered
436 Posts
No, id rather keep politics out of it.
I get enough politics from the media at large, as one sided and biased as it may be.

Ill say this....
I think certain political leaders should show the nation that they can run and clean up their own run down cities that are rife with violent crime, homelessness, poverty, and rampant taxation BEFORE they try spewing crap that they can run the country.
You can spin anything the way you want but the proof is in the puttin.
Truth.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.