BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing out my 1 yr old (4k miles) Akrapovic Titanium/Carbon Fiber exhaust for the Remus Hexcones. While I know exhaust is subjective, I've had Akra's on my GTL and my RT - but after a brief love affair with a B that I put on the Remus Quad exhaust - I miss the acceleration sound and the "pops and burbles" you get upon e-downshifts and hard de-acceleration. So I'm thinking of being foolish and selling perfectly good Akra's and buying a set of Remus Hexcones.
I spent just under $2k for the Akrapovics when Revzilla was having a sale. What do you suppose a fair price is if I were to sell? Any thoughts on costs to ship?
I sent a Corbin saddle recently via the ups store and it was $215 to box and ship within the US. I imagine the size/weight are similar. so I'm thinking I'm looking at something similar.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
I'd advertise for a swap before selling the Akros and purchasing a new set of Remus. You never know...

Duane

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just sold a set on Ebay for $1,200 USD took a while to sell.
This was from my local BMW dealer they were used but flawless.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
271 Posts
Save a ton of money and go to Uhaul and buy an appropriate size box and pack your exhaust yourself and if possible ship them yourself from a UPS hub. Rates to ship from one of those UPS stores is more expensive than if you take the box to the UPS hub and ship it yourself. The hub will have a counter for walk-ins and you can use their computer to print up a label. So far as what the exhaust is worth I'd deduct 20% of what you paid for the exhaust and start there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Save a ton of money and go to Uhaul and buy an appropriate size box and pack your exhaust yourself and if possible ship them yourself from a UPS hub. Rates to ship from one of those UPS stores is more expensive than if you take the box to the UPS hub and ship it yourself. The hub will have a counter for walk-ins and you can use their computer to print up a label. So far as what the exhaust is worth I'd deduct 20% of what you paid for the exhaust and start there.
Of the $215, $17 was for box and packing material. I had checked Uhaul and Home Depot but didn't find a stout enough box in a size that would work well. Not having a corporate shipping account hurts. I'm sure it would have been far less had I gone USPS but again I didn't have an appropriate box. After working at UPS through my college years sorting packages many years ago, I know the abuse they have to withstand - particularly with it being somewhat large and heavy (Corbin saddles weigh a lot due to their seat pans)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd advertise for a swap before selling the Akros and purchasing a new set of Remus. You never know...

Duane
That's an idea worth considering with a lot of K1600's sitting idle due to winter, perhaps there may be someone looking at changing theirs out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just sold a set on Ebay for $1,200 USD took a while to sell.
This was from my local BMW dealer they were used but flawless.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Of the $215, $17 was for box and packing material. I had checked Uhaul and Home Depot but didn't find a stout enough box in a size that would work well. Not having a corporate shipping account hurts. I'm sure it would have been far less had I gone USPS but again I didn't have an appropriate box. After working at UPS through my college years sorting packages many years ago, I know the abuse they have to withstand - particularly with it being somewhat large and heavy (Corbin saddles weigh a lot due to their seat pans)
Are we talking a horse saddle or motorcycle seat? If horse saddle I can understand the need to have it professionally packed but 198 bucks still seems pretty steep to ship a package. Taking the box to a UPS hub is cheaper than shipping from a UPS store but you have to box it yourself and if a hub is not local to you it's not a good option.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are we talking a horse saddle or motorcycle seat? If horse saddle I can understand the need to have it professionally packed but 198 bucks still seems pretty steep to ship a package. Taking the box to a UPS hub is cheaper than shipping from a UPS store but you have to box it yourself and if a hub is not local to you it's not a good option.
Agree that a UPS hub would have been cheaper, none near buy, so the franchise owner needs to make something...

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
i would think $5 tops..... and i just happen to have a spare 5 dollar bill in my wallet. What do you want to do here... i guess i could pay shipping, or better yet. We could
split the shipping cost...
Always such a generous person Stephen lol you would be saving a Fortune :cool::cry::unsure::geek:

Reactions: Stephen Fortune

·
Registered
61 Posts
How about making your own box out of material collected from a body shop or furniture store?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about making your own box out of material collected from a body shop or furniture store?
I considered constructing a box, but wanted to ensure the contents (the Corbin Saddle) would be properly protected. Again, the box and packing was only $17 of the overall costs. It was the shipping fees that were high.
I've ordered the Remus, so I'll have an appropriate box to ship the Akropovic exhaust out when I come to sell.

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
This is Chris, she has a horse saddle on her Indian along with much more. She has been featured in magazines and news all over the world for arranging last year's Australian World attempt of the most Indian motorcycles gathered in one place that is Silverton just outside of Broken Hill NSW where they made some of the Mad Max movies. Sadly it was doomed by the dreaded Covid and had to be canceled. So if she can have a horse saddle on her bike anything is possible.

129740260_678479299536965_4805262371929097944_o.jpg
29-04-2019-10.jpg
Parade.png

·
Registered
2013 K1600 GTL, 2016 S1000XR
28 Posts
I have Remus hexcones on my 2013 GTL and don't get the pops and burbling on downshifts I get with my XR with Cobra "catbacks". They sound wonderful, but I wish the Remus was a shorter can as the go past the rear wheel in length. Aesthetically not pleasing. And seem to not be breathing correctly, or it is a software issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts