BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of our roads here in MA and RI are in such poor condition it makes me cringe if I have to ride into/through a city. Most town/country roads are okay. Today I hit a pot hole so badly that for what felt like 20 seconds i had zero pressure and control of the rear brake. The foot pedal simply went to the bottom of its range with no braking action. I pulled over as quickly as I could to inspect. By that time the brakes were back and fully functioning. Inspection and parking lot riding led my to think something kerflooey happened and was back to normal. About 20 miles later the tire symbol and triangle indicator were red on the dash and my rear tire pressure indicator, were you can see front and rear tire pressure, had a red dot. I pulled over, checked the pressure and it was fine. I shut the bike down, gathered my thoughts for my next course of action. I should have taken a couple photos of the dash but didn't. I swear when i restarted the bike both indicators were "grey" then disappeared (i could be wrong). Anyway, there is no indicator lit on the dash anymore but the pressure indicator works intermittently now.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
You're fortunate you didn't damage your rim but it's possible you damaged the TPMS unit if it was working properly before you hit the pothole and working improperly after you hit the pothole. I do my best to avoid riding in any large metropolitan area because of poor road conditions, congestion and crime. Hope you get your issue sorted quickly

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
Did ya know that, depending on where you picked up damage from a road problem, the governing agency can be talked in to covering your damage. This happened to me near Johnson City TN:

I put in a FOIA requesting to the Tennessee DOT and a request to pay for the damage and they offered some compensation. I had a road hazard warranty on the wheels and tires but I didn't feel safe riding it home and had a very expensive tow. Bob's BMW took the wheel and tire off a new bike on the showroom floor and got me back on the bike right away. Bob did offer that it's possible to pound out dents like this to keep from being stranded but I had no way to do that.

·
Registered
2012 K1600GT
2,211 Posts
Did ya know that, depending on where you picked up damage from a road problem, the governing agency can be talked in to covering your damage. This happened to me near Johnson City TN:
I put in a FOIA requesting to the Tennessee DOT and a request to pay for the damage and they offered some compensation.
In Minnesota, if your vehicle is damaged due to a pothole, the DOT will pay for repairs; Only if the pothole had already been previously reported to them and they failed to fix it within 10 days. Some roads may be excluded.

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
The roads in Tijuana are in better condition than our roads in San Diego. Plenty of money for fraudulent pension funds and government funded health care, but can't maintain roads in a part of the country with absurdly highest taxes and no weather.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In Minnesota, if your vehicle is damaged due to a pothole, the DOT will pay for repairs; Only if the pothole had already been previously reported to them and they failed to fix it within 10 days. Some roads may be excluded.

Joe
same here in MA I believe. It must have been reported already. Too bad for the other 1000 schmuks that were damaged before the report

1 - 12 of 12 Posts