BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, turns out my prized bike is not worth as much as I had thought so I have a choice pick up an older K1600 or wait till later in the year.

Currently one can pick up a 2014 for £10k or a 2017 for £15k (10k miles / 1 owner)

Be interested to hear people's experiences with wether there is £5k worth of value in (from what I can tell) is Keyless/Reverse and Shift Pro/Adaptive lights.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
There were some fairing/wind management changes as well. The down side is the throttle response on the ‘17s and later is somewhat muted; assumed to be aid in meeting emissions standards. Shift assist pro is pretty sweet, though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keyless, reverse, shift-pro and adaptive headlights are all Nice-to-Haves, particularly reverse and shift assist, it's a heavy bike to move around, so you have to give some thought to where you park it, so a 2017+ might be easier to live with. You might also be able to get a BMW warranty on it as well depending on when it was registered, sold and its current warranty status (£397.85PA), which definitely won't be the case with the older bike. I think a warranty is generally a good idea with the K1600.

Joe

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want a heavy touring bike that performs almost like a sport bike buy a Pre-2017 K16 and you won't be sorry. My 2016 K16GTLE accelerates and pulls like a jet aircraft on take off but BMW dialed back the throttle response on the post 2017 bikes so now acceleration is more HD or Goldwing. I had planned to trade my 2016 for a 2018 so I could get reverse and shift assist but when I took the 2018 for a test ride I couldn't believe how much slower it was compared to my 2016. It was so slow I kept having to double check that the bike was in dynamic and not rain mode so needless to say I was happy to get back on my 2016. If you don't mind coughing up the dollars a BREN tune will restore the throttle response but I won't spend that kind of money on a tune when the bike should come that way from the factory. Between a 2014 and 2017 I'd test ride both and then decide or shop around a bit more and see what else is out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all after having a few days to give it some though and reflect on the feedback above and my current circumstances this is where I am leaning-

I live in the city and ride 90% in the city, 90% of that time is commuting of which I may add I have 90% pleasure from riding.

I had much higher plans for my 1290SA KTM when i bought it 4 years ago but having kids and work has mean't that most of my riding is short trips across town.

If i think about the next year I don't see much changing, take the last couple of months as an example- no work and still 6 days out of 7 the bike sits there.

Ultimately I would like 2017+ because of the additional features but given the realistic value of my PX (i am getting there eventually) it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay £8k out of pocket (even if its finance) for a newer model that regrettably spends more time sitting than riding. My son is a couple of years away from being able to ride on the back of any bike which means when we go somewhere as a family its going to be in the car.

The warranty (2 years from dealers) seems great but if i am putting 2-3k miles on the bike in a year not even sure I am really making the most of that.

Here's my thinking now, pick something up for £10k/11k (cost me £2-3k out of pocket) maybe it can have keyless (which is a feature I have always wanted for convenience) enjoy it for a couple of year than if circumstances change and touring etc becomes an option than trade her in for a 17+ (hopefully by then they will have a newer model out)

I know a 14/15 wouldn't have Shift Pro but I could always retrofit something (Healtec) but even then I don't think its a deal breaker for me.

I notice a GT and B are cheaper than GTL's. I regrettably haven't sat on either so I should really do that.

Thats where I am at, am open to thoughts/experience.

P.S I know the K1600 is COMPLETELY overkill for my riding circumstances, riding has never been a practical matter for me more like an evolution of experience

·
Registered
131 Posts
In my opinion to be perfectly honest and you seem to have already acknowledged this the K16 wouldn't be a good bike to commute on in the city. The K16 is a heavy beast and maneuvering it in tight spaces, like congested city streets, parking garages or driveways can be a bit of a challenge. If 90% of my riding was in the city I wouldn't own a K16, you might be better off with a R12RT which is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the K16 and much easier to ride within city limits. If you insist on buying a BMW you could also take a look at a R1200R or R Nine T both lighter and better suited for city riding.
Other options include bikes like the Kawasaki Z900RS which can be had brand new what it costs to buy a used K16 plus there's numerous other bikes available from Japanese manufacturers that would make good city commuter bikes. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion to be perfectly honest and you seem to have already acknowledged this the K16 wouldn't be a good bike to commute on in the city. The K16 is a heavy beast and maneuvering it in tight spaces, like congested city streets, parking garages or driveways can be a bit of a challenge. If 90% of my riding was in the city I wouldn't own a K16, you might be better off with a R12RT which is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the K16 and much easier to ride within city limits. If you insist on buying a BMW you could also take a look at a R1200R or R Nine T both lighter and better suited for city riding.
Other options include bikes like the Kawasaki Z900RS which can be had brand new what it costs to buy a used K16 plus there's numerous other bikes available from Japanese manufacturers that would make good city commuter bikes. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks, I would consider an RT for the next couple of years but I test rode it 4 years ago before buying my KTM- power difference aside I didn't like how low to the ground the bike felt aside from that it has nearly all the features I am after (radio/comfort/wind protection) so would make more 'sense'

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
My experience in London is as a tourist for a week so I’m in no way qualified to determine what motorcycle you may need in that fabulous city. But, as a keen observer and a rider, I did not see a single K1600 of any species in the City, during my time there. I did see bunches of RTs and GSs and loads of inline 4s, all seemingly to have Remus and Akropovic exhausts onboard. The sound reverberating off the buildings as the riders torched the pavement from stoplight to stoplight was heavenly.

But I digress. Having ridden the GTL for 4 years, I would say, that wouldn’t be my first choice for a BMW in the City. I’d probably get an RT or a GSA. I think the boxer engine stays cooler in that environment.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Suggest that if you don't always need the top box and side luggage, take them off and go for a ride. The bulkiness dissapears, the bike feels a great deal lighter than it really is.
For my own daily usage, I removed the top box upon arrival at home, take the side bags off from time to time.
Plus you'll get a lot more looks at the bike. Does one's ego very good.
RBGary

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks, I would consider an RT for the next couple of years but I test rode it 4 years ago before buying my KTM- power difference aside I didn't like how low to the ground the bike felt aside from that it has nearly all the features I am after (radio/comfort/wind protection) so would make more 'sense'
I thought the RT had a similar seat height as the K16, you can also check to see if the RT has a low/high seat setting like the GS. Speaking of the GS it would make an excellent city commuter bike plus the standard suspension should be high enough that you don't get the sensation it's too close to the ground.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you- was just about to post about that. I would have the panniers off. I have seen GSA's with their hard panniers filtering around London (impressively) and I'm pretty sure a K1600 without sides is thinner (not in the conventional sense 🤣)

I am reviewing the RT though cost wise it would mean little to no cash in and if I can settle for the power difference if could tie me over for a couple of years

Not having the 160hp though that's where I bought my KTM over the GSA to begin with.

First world problems EY!

All good food for thought

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure if it’s mentioned elsewhere, but what don’t you like about your current 1290 SA? My best mate has one and he commutes and tours on it, and reckons it’s the best of a long list of bikes he’s had.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Thank you- was just about to post about that. I would have the panniers off. I have seen GSA's with their hard panniers filtering around London (impressively) and I'm pretty sure a K1600 without sides is thinner (not in the conventional sense 🤣)

I am reviewing the RT though cost wise it would mean little to no cash in and if I can settle for the power difference if could tie me over for a couple of years

Not having the 160hp though that's where I bought my KTM over the GSA to begin with.

First world problems EY!

All good food for thought
You should look for a gently used S1000XR. Its a brilliant bike with the same HP numbers as a K1600 but it weighs 250 pounds less. It would make a great commuter bike and you can put top amd side cases on it. The more I ride mine the less I ride my GTL. Its got sportbike performance with upright ergonomics, shift assist pro, several ride modes, ESA etc.. It would be perfect for navigating the big cities.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The XR is another good choice if you don't mind chain maintenance and if you went with a GS you could get the Vario Panniers which collapse for a slimmer profile. I think the RT is around 125 HP which for city commuting should be more than adequate. If you test ride a RT make sure it's in dynamic and not rain or road mode, big difference in throttle response. Decisions, decisions :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS and I agree 100%

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could someone explain why 2017 GT's and B's go for the same price as 2015 GTL's? At least that is what is happening with the market here..

The problem with the B appears to be the saddles can't come off which voids it as the an option and the GT I haven't sat on one so am not sure how comfortable I will be with the position (I like upright riding)\

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can’t vouch for the B but the GT is a pretty upright riding position, not too different from my GSA. It’s definitely not hunched over, and at 6’2”, I’m not at all cramped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
27 Posts
Promising, I'm 6'2 as well and Risers in the GSA has been my at my standard for comfort riding position. I see there's a Riser-type for the Sport that pushes the bars slightly back as well

[/URL]

Ok need to sit on a GT now
Give me a shout if you’re ever in the Andover area, but there’s probably one at a dealer closer to you...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Give me a shout if you’re ever in the Andover area, but there’s probably one at a dealer closer to you...
Lovely part of the country for riding! Thanks you Max very kind, will see if I can go to Park Lane this week

1 - 20 of 35 Posts