BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok so am looking at a 15 GTL and a 17 GT (same price-why??) the '15 GTL does not have ESA II. Is ESA II a big improvement in peoples experience?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I'm going to be different and suggest you take a look at a BMW C Evolution Scooter for your commuting, errands, and tooling around after dinner missions. You might be surprised at how good it goes - how nimble and narrow it is. Throw a top box on it and you can haul your work stuff or several bags of groceries. The running costs are almost nil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Test riding the GT tomorrow. Found a good thread on here about riding in London and it gave me confidence just need to see the position if it's comfortable. As my friend pointed out must be more comfortable than my KTM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Test riding the GT tomorrow. Found a good thread on here about riding in London and it gave me confidence just need to see the position if it's comfortable. As my friend pointed out must be more comfortable than my KTM
Don't know if you've seen this one, commuting into London on a K1600 GT:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just came back from test ride. Loved it, loved the riding position. The weight felt fine without panniers. Definitely as wide as a GSA

·
Registered
27 Posts
I loved my GSA, and having had 4 x GS/GSA variants, but I’ve not missed it once, so good is the K16 GT Sport.

I noted your comment about 1290 SA comfort...I assume you’ve tried the powerparts aftermarket seat?! Transforms the bike‘s comfort, but possibly not enough...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I loved my GSA, and having had 4 x GS/GSA variants, but I’ve not missed it once, so good is the K16 GT Sport.

I noted your comment about 1290 SA comfort...I assume you’ve tried the powerparts aftermarket seat?! Transforms the bike‘s comfort, but possibly not enough...
No i haven't tried it and I know there are options but its just time. 4 years in and I am ready for the next experience. Unfortunately getting someone to take my KTM without PX'ing is proving difficult. Going to get a full valet on my KTM then drop the price and put it online

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, so have a couple of options but thought it would be helpful to put some notes together here..
-Year- 2017
-Budget Limit £14,500
-Mileage I am thinking 8k tops, i only do 2k miles P/A so in 4 years I would rather sell something with less..
-Owners-1 only (no one likes to be 3rd owner right??)

-Top box? Worth holding out for one with these?- Hard to tell what the used market is on these in the UK I like central locking feature

-Colour- I want black, I worry the other colours draw too much attention (if you don't live in London you may not get it) again should I hold out for this colour or get any colour with the above criteria and eventually wrap the bike (£600+)

Selling my PX is another factor-prices vary as much as £2k so if I wait for the right bike that Dealer may not be willing to pay a decent price for my PX. I will put it on Private Sale in the meantime after i have it valet'ed

In terms of immediate mods'- I wonder if i will get the crash bars front/rear fitted straight away, the weight really didn't feel bad, I will probably ride with less than half tanks at the beginning while I acclimate to the weight around town

That's all the madness for now!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why limit at 8k miles and 1 owner? With proper maintenance these bikes are good for 100k+. Top box I would strongly recommend, especially for commuting, and also the optional 2nd brake light in the box is a big safety plus. You can retrofit one, will cost you 1000+ with the brake light.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mileage I am thinking 8k tops, i only do 2k miles P/A so in 4 years I would rather sell something with less.
Remember that the 18k service is the costly one (valve clearance check which requires dismantling half the bike) so people often trade in just prior. If you can find an Approved Used at just on or after that mileage with the service completed, it may be better value?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks everyone!

Just got sent a video of the bike.

Rusty headers, bald rear tyre and front looked square. The tyres they will replace (I asked for PR4)

Rusty headers on a one year old bike? He said the valeters would work on it but that doesn't change the fact that they rusted in only a year? I asked for a photo but from the video it doesn't look good. Is there any relevant experience with this from people?

Some scuff marks on the panniers but he said they have a clear cover on them so I will look to replace those, OEM?

Aside from that, I am thinking of getting it Ceramic Coated by a local shop before collection. Want to protect that lovely 719 Paint job.

·
Registered
303 Posts
From what I've seen, the exhaust headers on the boxers do the same thing, unless one has the chrome headers, regardless of where you're located. It seems to be one of those things where BMW chose to cut corners. Sounds to me either you're being very finicky or trying to find an excuse not to buy the biker. If it's priced right or it really bugs you that much, then have the headers cleaned up and ceramic coated. From the pics, the condition of the pipes look typical.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be concerned about the headers or the studs / nuts.

If I were to be concerned about anything it would be the areas I've ringed in the photos which look like the start of the engine finish lifting:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Bit of a random question. Just ordered a private reg' it would be ideal to have it as one line vs 2. Is that possible on the K1600's?

·
Registered
445 Posts
it would be ideal to have it as one line vs 2. Is that possible on the K1600's?
With legal size letters & numbers, I'd say probably not, unless it's a very short combination - like "FU 2" ;)

The plate mounting is forward of the back of the panniers, and there's a tad more than 30cm between the inner walls of them. You might be able to space the plate away from its mounting to avoid it hitting the panniers, but then you run into difficulties with plate illumination, so I'd say it's almost certainly a non-starter.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts