BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been addressed before but I’m having a hard time finding it. When you go out for an “aggressive “ ride do you “pressure down “ and if so by how much?
Sean
2013 GTL + PRT GTs

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nope l don't want the tyres rolling on the side walls or the sensors going off because the pressure is to low. I'm pretty aggressive in corners my favourite thing I'd never lower the pressure they are a heavy bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad to see this being discussed. I am heading out for some nice mountain riding for about 1500 miles over about 5 days. My question is, how accurate is the psi shown on the bike, compared to what you might register on a dial or digital air gauge? I put what should have been 42 in my tires (according to the dial gauge), but it registed 46 on the bike. I brought it down to 42 on the bike. It was on 39 when I bought the bike and it seems to handle great as is. Mainly trying to prevent uneven tire wear.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,114 Posts
I air down for track riding only; 34F/36R. On the street, 42/42.

Duane

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I air down for track riding only; 34F/36R. On the street, 42/42.

Duane
Hey Duane, when did you move to Mexico? (There's a Mexican flag on your profile.)

·
Mr.Fix It
8,114 Posts
Hey Duane, when did you move to Mexico? (There's a Mexican flag on your profile.)
Evidently this site tracks where you are when you post. We’re south of Cancun, Riviera Maya. Heading home tomorrow after spending 10 days of getting our moneys worth of food/alcohol at an ‘all inclusive’ resort.

Duane

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Evidently this site tracks where you are when you post. We’re south of Cancun, Riviera Maya. Heading home tomorrow after spending 10 days of getting our moneys worth of food/alcohol at an ‘all inclusive’ resort.

Duane
Ha! Well, enjoy yourself!

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Glad to see this being discussed. I am heading out for some nice mountain riding for about 1500 miles over about 5 days. My question is, how accurate is the psi shown on the bike, compared to what you might register on a dial or digital air gauge? I put what should have been 42 in my tires (according to the dial gauge), but it register 46 on the bike. I brought it down to 42 on the bike. It was on 39 when I bought the bike and it seems to handle great as is. Mainly trying to prevent uneven tire wear.
Read your owners manual on the explanation of how the dash reading is calculated (page 108-109 in my 2016 manual). It's based on what the air pressure in your tire "would be" if it was cold (BMW calls cold 20C (68F)).

Bottom line if you check the tire pressure when the tire has stabilized at 20C (68F) with an accurate gauge then the dash reading should be the same + - as the hand held gauge. That is considering the gauge is correct and how do you calibrate those?

As the tire heats up, either by friction or outside temperature the pressure in the tire will rise but the dash will still read what it would measure at 20C (68F) because the bike will do the math for you. So if it's hot outside when you check the pressure with a gauge the gauge will read higher than the dash.

The manual recommends 42 PSI when cold so getting the dash to read that is what they like to see. This can be trying for folks that live in areas that don't get down to 68F in the morning.

To look at it another way let's say you air up your tires when it's 68F out side to 42 PSI. Then the next time you check it with a gauge It's 80F and the pressure is higher so you let air out to make it 42 again. Then the next time you check it with a gauge it's cold and the pressure is below 42 so you add air to bring it back to 42. You could be chasing air pressure forever. With the system on your dash it will always read what the pressure would be at 68F.

On a side note If you do want to add or remove air, to get the dash reading where you like, it you can stop the bike and kill the engine with the kill switch leaving the ignition on. You can now adjust the air pressure in your tire and the dash reading will move accordingly. Or you can use your hand held gauge and ignore what it reads and just add or subtract air the PSI amount needed to get the dash to read the correct 42 PSI.

With all this said the dash readings on the 2 bikes I've owned varied as much as 2 PSI during the day. Sometimes from the time I turned the bike off, to get gas, to when I started it up again a few minutes later. Usually it will stabilize after a few miles. So I don't panic when I see these variations.

This whole thing can be confusing to many riders so most only use the information on the dash when the air pressure drops dramatically as in "getting a flat tire".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Read your owners manual on the explanation of how the dash reading is calculated (page 108-109 in my 2016 manual). It's based on what the air pressure in your tire "would be" if it was cold (BMW calls cold 20C (68F)).

Bottom line if you check the tire pressure when the tire has stabilized at 20C (68F) with an accurate gauge then the dash reading should be the same + - as the hand held gauge. That is considering the gauge is correct and how do you calibrate those?
Thank you for that information. This place is a wealth of knowledge and my first stop for any questions. I'm a newbie to doing maintenance on my bike, but for all the guys here, Jim, Duane, RL, Kim, and there are a lot of guys I'm forgetting .... Guys are awesome. I never read the manual about the tire pressure and have chased this

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
290 Posts
On the tire pressure subject ... does anyone else have a tire that loses pressure over time? My rear seems to lose 1 PSI per week ridden or not. I can't find any nail/screw, and I've tried to tightened the hose inlet, but it was tight. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
On the tire pressure subject ... does anyone else have a tire that loses pressure over time? My rear seems to lose 1 PSI per week ridden or not. I can't find any nail/screw, and I've tried to tightened the hose inlet, but it was tight. Thoughts?
My tires have always lost a little air over time. I’ve been riding these K1600 for 9 years now. That’s why I check it every few weeks and do a quick check of the dash reading every time I ride.
When I change tires I clean the bead area of the rim. I have no idea why they loose air.

Reactions: Rambles

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Reactions: Gunnert
1 - 20 of 26 Posts