BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 k1600 gtl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for a long ride I made a short panned route using myrouteapp.com in order to learn my way around the nav5. I got the route created and imported to my nav 5 just fine. I was able to follow the route. My problem came when halfway through the route it took me down a gravel road I chose to go around. The gps the rerouted me to the main highway as the fastest way to the destination. I could not find a way to the resume the route halfway through, the GPS would only route me to the beginning or end. How do I go about resuming the route while already part way through it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Under settings go to Navigation then go to Off-Route Recalculation. Make sure it is set to off. If on automatic it will not work how you want it to. When set to off it will show the route without recalculating when you go off route.

·
Registered
2018 k1600 gtl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under settings go to Navigation then go to Off-Route Recalculation. Make sure it is set to off. If on automatic it will not work how you want it to. When set to off it will show the route without recalculating when you go off route.
That sounds like my issue. When I get home ill see if that's on.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
If you put in a lot more waypoints, the off-route recalculation will reroute to that next waypoint instead of the end. If you restart the nav, you can also pick any of the waypoints along the way as the next point you want to go to.

·
KBiK
1,849 Posts
If you press the Halt Route button on your Nav V, and then go to select the route again from the Saved Trips, you can then restart the route and select your next waypoint. This assumes you have put in multiple waypoints along your route.

·
Registered
2018 k1600 gtl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In myrouteapp.com I used shaping points instead of waypoints, should i have used waypoints to shape the route instead?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
In myrouteapp.com I used shaping points instead of waypoints, should i have used waypoints to shape the route instead?
I use mostly shaping points, but a few waypoints along the way. But, I've never had trouble with shaping points and losing the whole route.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use waypoints, and also when you create the root in the computer, the preferences have to be the same on the Navigator.
I always rename root with the preferences of the computer, for exple: shorter distance SD, no motorways NM, etc...
This way when you execute on Navigator, you know the setting when created on the computer.
Anyway Garmin sometimes does what he wants.
Enjoy & keep safe!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I use waypoints, and also when you create the root in the computer, the preferences have to be the same on the Navigator.
I always rename root with the preferences of the computer, for exple: shorter distance SD, no motorways NM, etc...
This way when you execute on Navigator, you know the setting when created on the computer.
Anyway Garmin sometimes does what he wants.
Enjoy & keep safe!
One way to partially insulate yourself from the vagaries of the different routing algorithms, is to change the mode in BaseCamp to see if it reroutes differently. If it does, put in more shaping points until the two routing modes don't differ. Once you get to that point, you're almost certain that whatever settings you have will not have an impact should you get off course.

·
Registered
2018 k1600 gtl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One way to partially insulate yourself from the vagaries of the different routing algorithms, is to change the mode in BaseCamp to see if it reroutes differently. If it does, put in more shaping points until the two routing modes don't differ. Once you get to that point, you're almost certain that whatever settings you have will not have an impact should you get off course.
I don't have basecamp. I don't have a pc. I do what i need to online with a tablet and a chromebook. Also why I used myrouteapp.com instead of basecamp.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I don't have basecamp. I don't have a pc. I do what i need to online with a tablet and a chromebook. Also why I used myrouteapp.com instead of basecamp.
Basecamp or otherwise, the point remains...change the routing preferences in whatever app you're using to see if it shifts the route. If it does, add more shaping points to force it to the route you prefer regardless of the chosen algorithm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts