BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i decided to have the protective film installed from Protech as well as some carbon protector on the fuel tank, filler cap and luggage rack and a set of engine guard. My dealer just happen to have a set that was cancelled from someone who back out of buying a GTL.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This dealership is where?
www.monettesports.com/

That was they only set they had, parts are easyer to get here since not to many BMW dealers and only 10 K1600 come in Canada every months so dive that by 13 provinces we don`t get that many:k16:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well i decided to have the protective film installed from Protech as well as some carbon protector on the fuel tank, filler cap and luggage rack and a set of engine guard. My dealer just happen to have a set that was cancelled from someone who back out of buying a GTL.
Hi Warlord,

I have the 3M covering on my GT, and I am glad I did, it is a good product. Do you have any pics of the tank protector? It would be good to see if you do.

Cheers.

GF

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Warlord,

I have the 3M covering on my GT, and I am glad I did, it is a good product. Do you have any pics of the tank protector? It would be good to see if you do.

Cheers.

GF
The bike stored for the winter at the dealership, will be out on March 15 or so if weather permits. I will post pictures for sure, i'm myself anxious to see it.:k16::k16::k16:

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
Have a professional do the tank 3M covering the rest is fairly easy if you take the time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a professional do the tank 3M covering the rest is fairly easy if you take the time.
I'm having them do the hole bike, the product they use is Protec and is suppose to be pretty good (they all say that their product is the best) so i`ll see in about a month when i get it out of storage:k16:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
The only place on my bike that I've put this stuff is on the panniers were it's dang near impossible to keep my feet off of them as I mount/dismount. Are you guys using this on the tank and if so where? I've been a bit worried because I tend to keep my knees tucked in tight against the sides of the tank and if that will eventually mar the finish?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only place on my bike that I've put this stuff is on the panniers were it's dang near impossible to keep my feet off of them as I mount/dismount. Are you guys using this on the tank and if so where? I've been a bit worried because I tend to keep my knees tucked in tight against the sides of the tank and if that will eventually mar the finish?
I had the dealer do the whole bike, which includes the headlamp. I have already given myself a pat on the back for having it installed after clattering the tops of the panniers a couple of times myself, which leaves a nice black mark for all to see. I managed to clean the marks off though, using a 'Brasso' lint with VERY gentle pressure and a lot of patience. It worked for me. The tank is well protected in the area you are concerned about too, but I was interested to see what the carbon tank protector looks like, more from an aesthetic than a practical viewpoint.

TG

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted the hole bike done because yes the front fairing is the one getting all the chip stones as well as the front of the panier and the black marks from my boots but since my bike spend the summer outside with no tarp or garaged is mostly used for protecting from UV ray from the sun so the paint doen`t fade away. The carbon is for protecting from the zipper rubbing on the tank, fromt the key and other thing on the filler cap and from installing and removing the top case. + i figure why do everything and leave the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I found that the ballistic nylon on the knees of my suit started making very light marks on my very first trip. I've now done my own patterns and completed the tank sides and painted pannier surfaces. http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-maintenance-do-yourself/1180-3m-paint-protection-film.html

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
I used Venture Shield for the kit with the Carbon looking tank top. After trying to get the tank wraped properly I went to a professional and had it done with 3M. A very minimum that you should do is get the BMW panier film with a little patience you can do that in about an hour or less. The tank sides should be done by a professional do to the compond curves. I also did not do the grey area of the lowers as I did not like the shinny look of the film.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts