BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a fairly high number of queries on new/taller/wider/?? Windscreens available for the 16. Doing a search numerous posts and threads exist regarding windscreens but not so many on the Puig.
i have used/use C Bailey's, OEM GTL/GT/SPORT, Wunderlich, Aero, custom cut Wunderlich (hole and no hole).
What brought me to take another look was with winter coming on and my desire to ride more in the cold. (I average 25-28 k miles a year with relatively few from end Nov to middle March). I usually have a modified Wunderlich or a darkened Sport shield on the bike.
i am 6'7" on a good day, being longer in the torso than in relation to my legs. (Was 6'8" but trailing Gunnert regularly caused me to age and shrink before the normal ageing process).

The Puig was on Ebay and reasonable enough to gve it a shot. (O/A 180).
Three choices are available tint wise, clear, light and dark. I was on the fence on light and dark but ended up with the dark tint. Word of caution, though i can easily see over it in all but highest setting, it is dark and does have an impact at night. During the day fairly easy to view through but if i did this again i would go with the other tint and may actually get one of those as well.
The Puig mounting holes are oversized and a few exist that go unused in our application. Its obvious a multifit windscreen but does snug down tightly so i have no worries in that regard.
So after getting it mounted and taking a ride i can say this is without a doubt the best (only?) Option for tall+ riders. I have never known what this calm pocket of air others fondly mention was about. With this screen the cold is not nearly as cold, any helmet whine from air is greatly diminished and the overall ride is 100% quieter. Riding in the rain is a new experience as well since the faceshield is not pummeled with rain.
Obviously I am taken with this windscreen. I would have never imagined getting such a "car hood" sized unit, but darn if it doesnt work extremely well for ME. When weather warms up again imagine I may use a shorty again but for long trips may stick with one of these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I bought one of these with the light tint. I am 5’11” and can see over the top comfortably with the shield in it’s lowest position. I do have a Russell seat which definatly sets me up an inch or two over the stock seat. Like MountainGT I have tried a bunch of different shields and. This one blocks more wind by far than any I have tried. It’s definitely worth a shot if it fits you.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With your seat and lowest setting i could see you being able to look over and ride. Just know it being able to use the up and down feature is impacted for many.

BTW- You were not even supossed to read this thread!! LOL
:)

** as far as exhaust, like better than stock' like sound better than stock(not overly obnoxious) but no beauty queens. (I may actually rework over the winter)

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Reactions: Top_Speed1

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have noticed a fairly high number of queries on new/taller/wider/?? Windscreens available for the 16. Doing a search numerous posts and threads exist regarding windscreens but not so many on the Puig.
i have used/use C Bailey's, OEM GTL/GT/SPORT, Wunderlich, Aero, custom cut Wunderlich (hole and no hole).
What brought me to take another look was with winter coming on and my desire to ride more in the cold. (I average 25-28 k miles a year with relatively few from end Nov to middle March). I usually have a modified Wunderlich or a darkened Sport shield on the bike.
i am 6'7" on a good day, being longer in the torso than in relation to my legs. (Was 6'8" but trailing Gunnert regularly caused me to age and shrink before the normal ageing process).

Three choices are available tint wise, clear, light and dark. I was on the fence on light and dark but ended up with the dark tint. Word of caution, though i can easily see over it in all but highest setting, it is dark and does have an impact at night. During the day fairly easy to view through but if i did this again i would go with the other tint and may actually get one of those as well.
The Puig mounting holes are oversized and a few exist that go unused in our application. Its obvious a multifit windscreen but does snug down tightly so i have no worries in that regard.
So after getting it mounted and taking a ride i can say this is without a doubt the best (only?) Option for tall+ riders. I have never known what this calm pocket of air others fondly mention was about. With this screen the cold is not nearly as cold, any helmet whine from air is greatly diminished and the overall ride is 100% quieter. Riding in the rain is a new experience as well since the faceshield is not pummeled with rain.
Obviously I am taken with this windscreen. I would have never imagined getting such a "car hood" sized unit, but darn if it doesnt work extremely well for ME. When weather warms up again imagine I may use a shorty again but for long trips may stick with one of these.
As others do, I want to know more about other things I see on your bike. Blocking the air to my hands and arms would be nice, and I can only find those expensive plastic things made by Wunderlich but see you have some type of creation over those cromed things you can open for more air, and of top of that some bulky piece in black that not looks like anything on my bike. Can you please fill me in here?

I am 6,3” and also have a longer torso then in proposition of my legs. I do have use of mine but feel Im missing a small part, as I cant put it high enough for coming over my line of sites. i will have a look at the one you write about. I can notice it not having the hole for air pressure. After reading a lot of reviews I though that it has to be one with a hole. Can you give your input about this, please?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JACOB, sorry for delay but riding quite a bit with the unseasonably mild weather here.

As far as the wings and design of the dash surround that is most definitely a one off! Admittedly, from Harleys, a ducati, a host of japanese units and now this bike, I can seldom leave things alone. I still have the wings and will likely reinstall come milder weather as these aluminum pieces are really to keep the cold from blasting my mid section. Intentionally not adjustable as only for blocking cold air. The dash was widened a little to also redirect air.

With regard to the windscreen, you are correct no lower center cutout is present. I have used a cee Bailey and Wunderluck with center hole but really noticed no benifit, possibly due to my height, unsure. This wind screen gives a nice calm space in the lowered postion and even quieter if raised an inch or two. As I have cautioned others, it is obviously a big windscreen and if you want to look over it, i make no promises as it depends on your height, how you sit when riding, which model 16 and possibly some other factors.
I will note that if someone stateside wants to try a medium tint and they do not like it for whatever reason, i would buy it and member just needs to fork over for shipping. (And no, i am not looking to buy 10 Puig windscreens but just first med tint one that just diesnt work out for the buyer!)
:)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Ordered a light tinted Puig screen.
I am 6'2" so might cut it down a bit, time will tell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same here, also 6'4" and the Puig is great on my GT. @Ali, the 2" won't matter so much, but if believe it is a bit higher than the Wunderlich.
I usually lift my Wunderlich Marathon screen like half up and have slight buffeting and noise on my helmet. Maybe with the Puig i don't have to lift it a lot. I like the curvature of it at the top.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Looking at the photo of your bike again and noticed a cover on the rear panniers tabs, Interesting. Can you share more details pls. Also looks like you chopped something from the belly pan underneath the oil pan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts