BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I just took my 2021 K1600 GTL from Ohio to Louisiana and back. Zero rain on the way there, 100% rain on the way back. I did about 2500 miles on it in 12 days...

No matter what the road conditions... I noticed the bike wants to constantly gravitate to the left and I find myself continually adjusting my trajectory which becomes tiring after a while. As odd as it sounds when I take my right knee off the tank and kind of wing it out I get a slight less left pull.

I really dig this bike but the left pull takes some of the enjoyment away from the experience...

Any work around? Thanks for reading....

Attachments

·
Mr.Fix It
8,114 Posts
Left pull in some K bikes has bee an issue since release in 2011. Do a forum search, “left+pull” and you’ll find hundreds of posts and no resolutions.

Duane

Reactions: Daannyoh

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Common issue. Different solutions for different bikes, and some without solutions. Most seem to only pull left when hands removed from the bars. Yes, as @Gunnert suggests, lots of posts on the subject.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine did that when I got it. I changed tires to the Dunlop Road Smart III when the OEM set wore out and it was less noticable (not cured) but a significant improvement. Since I've been riding it over the last three years I no longer notice it. IMO it's inherent to the bike, the stock tires make it worse, and some bikes exhibit the issue worse than others.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine did that when I got it. I changed tires to the Dunlop Road Smart III when the OEM set wore out and it was less noticable (not cured) but a significant improvement. Since I've been riding it over the last three years I no longer notice it. IMO it's inherent to the bike, the stock tires make it worse, and some bikes exhibit the issue worse than others.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thanks that’s great news! A glimpse of hope!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Read post #20 in this thread, and let us know the result...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read post #20 in this thread, and let us know the result...
Thanks for that! Who’d a thunk?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Only an issue with hands off as stated. If it bothers u add your gear to the right side case that will help.

ian

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
147 Posts
What I have noticed is that I feel like I sit "to the left" on the bike, i.e., more weight on my left butt cheek. I am not doing this intentionally but if I adjust my weight a hair to the right in the seat I'm straight as an arrow. Maybe there is a slight design difference or maybe I'm just crooked...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a 2018 Grand American it was pulling left since then I have made the rear top case removable and I put on road smart IIIs I can ride with the cruise control on at about 60 miles an hour sitting on the backseat and she goes straight now for how long I don’t know. I did this for about 10 miles

Reactions: Daannyoh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone recently reported a novel solution....loosen the bindings on the cables attached to the bars. They may be under just enough tension to pull the bike left. Should be easy enough to try.
May be a weekend project worth trying! Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I have noticed is that I feel like I sit "to the left" on the bike, i.e., more weight on my left butt cheek. I am not doing this intentionally but if I adjust my weight a hair to the right in the seat I'm straight as an arrow. Maybe there is a slight design difference or maybe I'm just crooked...
Yea, perhaps a 20lb weight in the right storage box will cure it lol. Actually, as I stated if I open up my right knee and wing it out it helps a bit. I also noticed I’m not exactly centered with the windshield as I sit on the bike.. it’s like I’m a bit left of center… or I’m imagining things haha

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
147 Posts
I also noticed I’m not exactly centered with the windshield as I sit on the bike.. it’s like I’m a bit left of center… or I’m imagining things haha
Exactly. Same here. If I move a bit in the seat I go staight. Opening your knee is basically the same thing as moving over

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 2020 GTL goes arrow-straight. Factory Bridgestones and now Dunlop RSIII's, no issues with either. I quit doing, "Look, Ma! No hands!" on bicycles many years ago.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My 2020 GTL goes arrow-straight. Factory Bridgestones and now Dunlop RSIII's, no issues with either. I quit doing, "Look, Ma! No hands!" on bicycles many years ago.
When I first read about this left pull, I had to put my GTL on cruise control with no hands to feel a bit of it. The stupidity of what I was doing hit me and that was it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
It’s the cables/wire zip ties being installed slightly differently by human hands during manufacturer, pure and simple. That is why the issue is slightly different per bike, from ‘none’ to ‘a lot’, both of which are subjective.
Unfortunately the cure requires time, effort, and experimentation because the “re-zip tying” will again introduce some of these variables.
For those that do not believe, consider how very little counter steer pressure is required on the bars to induce a similar drift; then realize that a zip-tied cable could do the same.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It’s the cables/wire zip ties being installed slightly differently by human hands during manufacturer, pure and simple. That is why the issue is slightly different per bike, from ‘none’ to ‘a lot’, both of which are subjective.
Unfortunately the cure requires time, effort, and experimentation because the “re-zip tying” will again introduce some of these variables.
For those that do not believe, consider how very little counter steer pressure is required on the bars to induce a similar drift; then realize that a zip-tied cable could do the same.
How could the cables be that tight with the bike traveling in a straight line? Maybe there is something obvious I'm missing, but it doesn't seem logical.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts