BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the quandary I have is I ordered all the goodies for my bike and car. Thing is I'm not happy with the case that Quad Lock offers. I have always had Otterbox cases. I am a rough and tumble guy and need that level of protection at work (bricklayer/mason) as well as in my everyday life. Now maybe, just maybe I would be okay with the Quad lock case if it came with a holster, I will not put a phone in my pocket, I'm too rough and it WILL break.

My question is has anyone tried to put the universal adapter on the back of something like an Otterbox? Quad Lock says to install it on the back of a hard case suggesting against resin or rubber cases which the Otterbox falls under. I even thought about cutting out the locking part of the Quad Lock case and gluing that onto my Otterbox. :unsure: :cool:

So any insight would be great. Thank you

· Registered
242 Posts
I was an otter box fan until I started using the quad lock case. We were supplied the full otter box case with shield and it is indestructible but I hated the belt clip and it was to big for a pocket. I would always catch the phone on the car door or when leaning in and trying to get to a bolt I would catch it on a tire or other objects. The quad lock case is not small but it will fit in your pocket and it protects the phone very well. I also used a screen protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DQT3F3C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and make sure it is the case friendly one because you will not be able to get the case on the phone with a screen if not. I have dropped banged and flipped this phone to the concrete and the worst thing is a cracked screen protector. It goes on my bike effortlessly and I know its not going anywhere. I am very happy with the case and quad lock accessories would not go back to otter box. The only problem I have found is trying to charge on a wireless charger I have to mess with it because the center back of the case protrudes where the lock goes and you have to get it just right to charge. You could also try a the pouch type holster if you cant convert to pocket. Hope this helps :{)

· Registered
2018 K1600B, 2015 Triumph Trophy SE, 1995 Triumph Daytona Super 3 etc
123 Posts
So the quandary I have is I ordered all the goodies for my bike and car. Thing is I'm not happy with the case that Quad Lock offers. I have always had Otterbox cases. I am a rough and tumble guy and need that level of protection at work (bricklayer/mason) as well as in my everyday life. Now maybe, just maybe I would be okay with the Quad lock case if it came with a holster, I will not put a phone in my pocket, I'm too rough and it WILL break.

My question is has anyone tried to put the universal adapter on the back of something like an Otterbox? Quad Lock says to install it on the back of a hard case suggesting against resin or rubber cases which the Otterbox falls under. I even thought about cutting out the locking part of the Quad Lock case and gluing that onto my Otterbox. :unsure: :cool:

Hi mate- I had a similar problem to you buying the quad lock case but not really warming to it as being as good a protector as my usual life proof fre case. I went through a period of changing my phone cases to the quad lock for riding & the life proof (otter box) for non-riding. Having tired of this I bought the adapter & attached to the back of the life proof & I use on my B though any weather conditions with no sign of it going anywhere- the 3m adhesive on the adapter sticks like [email protected]$ to a blanket.
From my experience I would happily recommend the adapter noting the limitations that it makes my life proof case a bit thicker with the adapter attached & I can’t lay it dead flat therefor can’t wireless charge the phone.
Hope that helps.

· Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,732 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
I have a new 14 phone and want to keep it nice as long as I can. I think the new screens are more break resistant that the old 8 I had. Plus the screen protector. I too work in construction. Superintendent for a GC not a tradesman. Currently using otter box. I have a new QL case and mounting system I’m receiving as a bday gift next weekend. I went with the thinner mag case with the suggestion from a fellow forum member. I rear pocket carry the phone most often. I’ve never broken one sitting in it. It’s always been from drops. I’m going to give the QL a try as my daily carry. I may adjust if it doesn’t work out. The magnet will prevent it from sliding off metal objects which can be handy.

· Mr.Fix It
9,835 Posts
+1 @J-Luv , I have an iPhone 14 pro on order; delivery date is end of December. For Xmas my bride has bought me the QL wireless charger, vibration damper, ball mounting. and Mag case. I was tempted by Peak Design but decided on the QL's due to it's reputation as the industry standard for motorcycle mounts and recommendation from MANY forum members.

Duane

· Registered
2012 K1600GTL Premium (lost in house fire on 12/24/22)
385 Posts
I've never used any of the Otterboxes and such, but based on using the QL Mag case for some time now while riding, I can say that it's pretty **** tough case. I drop my phone quite frequently and have never had anything break, which is rare for an iPhone, I guess. LOL!

Once I finally get around to installing the QL magnetic mount and wireless charger to my truck, I will need to convert to using the QL case daily. It's a bit bulkier than I'd like, but oh well, I can live with it.

I'd imagine sticking the QL universal mount to the back of an Otterbox, or something similar, would make it quite bulky and interfere with things. :unsure:

· American John
3,126 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
+1 @J-Luv , I have an iPhone 14 pro on order; delivery date is end of December. For Xmas my bride has bought me the QL wireless charger, vibration damper, ball mounting. and Mag case. I was tempted by Peak Design but decided on the QL's due to it's reputation as the industry standard for motorcycle mounts and recommendation from MANY forum members.

Duane
You're going to like your QL setup. I look forward to reading about it after all installed. (y)

BTW, I installed my Eye-Talian mount yesterday. It went pretty smooth, except for that one nightmare microscopic connection screw. After I gathered up all the parts and carried them to the garage, I discovered the screw was missing. It fell out somewhere. I thought I was screwed. It was worse than trying to find a needle in a haystack. So I went back to my office to figure out what to do next, and there it was -- a spec on my desk. :oops: Sometimes sunshine does beam down......

· Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
1,017 Posts
For someone that does not use or like phone cases, I do like like the quadlock case because it is easy to remove and very secure on the bike and in the pickup. I cannot speak in such high regards to it's protection ability. I have never cracked a phone until I dropped my Note 10+ onto my driveway. A spot on the back cover cracked. Granted, I have had only three smartphones (iPhone 3GS [my first cellphone], Galaxy S5 and Note 10+) and never worked anywhere mobile devices are allowed so I don't carry it around as often as some.

· Registered
381 Posts
I've had the quadlock (non mag) case on my iPhone 13 Pro now for 9 months and I keep saying I'm going to take it off because it's got the bump. but... I can't tell you how many times I (or my kids) have dropped my phone, often on tile floors, often with force, and it's protected my phone. so I've learned to live with it. and it's one less thing to have to remember to switch before a ride.

I choose not to use a screen protector because they annoy the snot out of me, but this is a risk I accept. and I have apple care ;)

for those considering quad lock, I recommend the vibration damper. when I was using a RAM mount, I had the main camera in the 13pro fail, which I attribute to the vibes on my RS. I can't obviously prove this, but I've had no issues since switching to the QuadLock. and the wireless charging is phenomenal

· Premium Member
8,447 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I've only dropped my phone once since putting it in my QL original design case and it survived just fine. I like the feel of the satin finish on the case. I have a thin glass screen protector (I don't like the plastic ones) and it has a barely noticeable crack across it. I can only see it when the screen is black. I have no idea how or when it came to be. When I first got the case I would remove it when not riding but it fits so tight I decided to leave it on all the time which has been just fine, especially now that I have mounts adhered to my car dashes.

· Premium Member
197 Posts

I have been using QL for 5/6 years, I have practically every accessory they have. Except the Mag case, because as far as I’m concerned the jury is out on the Mag. IMHO the rest are still trying to play catch up QL.
I have the belt clip since it came out,It holds the phone securely with no chance of falling off.
So if QL hasn’t got the answer it won’t be too long until they have.

· Registered
628 Posts
Samsung S22+ here with the MAG case. I went with the QL Pro which is made of CNC anodized aluminum instead of the typical QL plastic mount. Only thing I added was the vibration dampener because adding the charger acc made it too bulky for me although it's very cool IMO. I have a dedicated charging wire ran on the handlebars so I can plug my phone in if needed. I may have to break down and buy the charger at some point but at $70 after tax and shipping and making it a bulkier setup I'm good without it for now. Big improvement over my old RAM mount for sure

Attachments

Reactions: josephdfrick

· Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
1,017 Posts
For someone that does not use or like phone cases, I do like like the quadlock case because it is easy to remove and very secure on the bike and in the pickup. I cannot speak in such high regards to it's protection ability. I have never cracked a phone until I dropped my Note 10+ onto my driveway. A spot on the back cover cracked. Granted, I have had only three smartphones (iPhone 3GS [my first cellphone], Galaxy S5 and Note 10+) and never worked anywhere mobile devices are allowed so I don't carry it around as often as some.
My wife, who is very careful, discovered that the back glass of her Note 10+ is completely shattered while in her "protective" Quad Lock case. I will be going back to RAM mounts. Only because the QL case IMO is crap. If I use a case, I will use one that actually does something.

· Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been rocking the QL case for a bit. it's ok but it is nowhere even close to the protection of the Otterbox Defender case. I also found that the volume/power buttons on the QL are not as friendly as the OBD. I will say that I'm an angry son of a bitch and i throw my phone a lot, hard, trying to break it. The OB has saved most of them. I do not think the QL would. I already have all the QL stuff for my bike so I will stay with it for now. If things become an issue i have an old phone that still works that i could make my bike phone,

On another note someone said they weren't worried since they have apple care. Careful they have told me sorry, but thanks for the insurance money a few times. If it is not resalable (i.e. it won't turn on, or it makes sound but no screen view) you can kiss it goodbye and all the insurance. @MotoToph get your wifes phone fixed soon, if it gets wet it's dead. been there done that.

· Premium Member
370 Posts

Is there not such a thing as a generic holster that you could use for the QL while on the job? The QL case itself surprised me -- turns out to be pretty rugged and protects well against drops, though I haven't dropped it from a second-story window...yet.

· Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there not such a thing as a generic holster that you could use for the QL while on the job? The QL case itself surprised me -- turns out to be pretty rugged and protects well against drops, though I haven't dropped it from a second-story window...yet.
not that i know of as far as the second story window. I did drop my phone years ago off a 3 story roof while working on a fireplace. Still worked.

The otterbox defender has a solid case that wraps the phone than a rubber case that goes over that. The rubber case is basically the same as the QL case but with the added hard case inside it. It also is more sealed at all openings except the speaker opening,

· American John
3,126 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
Before I retired, I used a clip holster for years. It was made for my work Blackberry, and I used it all the time, It worked great. I like the Peak Design case I use with my Peak Design motorcycle mount. But I’d like a solution (other than my pocket) for carrying the phone around.

A good generic holster has to be out there…

· Premium Member
8,447 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
1 - 20 of 22 Posts