BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,089 Posts
Of course it can only say OK or LOW, when measured with the engine running, because the oil is circulating, the oil pump generating different pressures depending on the RPMs. Generally, oil level is measured with engine NOT running, to get an exact reading from the oil pan, or oil reservoir on dry sump engines. And since oil expands in volume depending on temperature, for those that measure to the ML, the manufacturers specify operating temp, even though cold temp would be close enough even for the user in Alaska in the depth of winter. This display is just practical for folks who just want to ride, and once a in blue moon during the ride wanna know they're ok because they just remembered they haven't checked the oil since last oil change.
That's if it works, which this thread is all about it not working.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,089 Posts
It works on my old 2013 GTL, and I know this because I tried it once in the two years I've owned it, so as you can tell it wouldn't bother me if it stopped working, but if I bought a brand new bike under warranty I would ensure BMW corrected it or offered some form of compensation if it wasn't working.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,089 Posts
Guys....when I took my 2022 B in my dealer said it's only a low oil level warning. It will not show anything but low oil status. I thought it was weird because it was the only (and most important IMO) reading that wasn't showing anything.
Did you accept their explanation?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts