BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I know this has been discussed before, however, I've never seen it change other than the dash marks. Yes, I've tried idling the bike...clutch in...clutch out...first gear clutch in...neutral clutch in...clutch out...engine hot...engine warm...engine cold...fan running...fan off...never changes. Appreciate your comments.

Next stop - dealer.

Semper Fi

Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Gadget Portable communications device

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to be on level ground, engine hot and idling, transmission in neutral. The final bit that caught me out was that the brakes must be OFF, so no holding the bike steady on the brake lever.

Once I worked that out, the oil level check worked for me every time on my MY2019 bikes - my guess is that the MY2022 will be the same.
Greetings,

Thanks for the tip...the pic was taken in my garage...after a long ride...bike on center stand...no brakes...no clutch...bike idling...no change in display. Tried at gas stations...after fill up...bike level...idling...no brakes...no change.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just going to say "ok". That thing is completely irrelevant and should be ignored. If the bike gets a half quart low your going to see a large yellow screen saying your oil is low.
Rick,

I would just like to see okay...or anything but dashes...I agree with irrelevant...I always use the dipstick.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
UPDATE
I visited the dealer today and was told it could quite possibly be a sensor or a software update. He tried to tell me how to do it but left out a few steps...that's okay, that's why we read the manual. Nonetheless, the dipstick works okay and I told him at my next maintenance visit his tech could take a look at it. On a side note, they're only getting 30% of their normal allocation...sad day for sales people.

Checking the oil is important...and easy, especially when flying...I checked it before EVERY flight.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
SECOND UPDATE
Greetings,
I stopped by another dealer yesterday (okay, it was an excuse to ride the K1600B). They took the time to hook up the bike to computer and performed several functions (updating software, etc.), however, they could not find a problem. He checked the oil lever using the old fashion method - dipstick. The technician also took the bike for a ride and could not get the display to show anything but dashes.

The service manager did several google searches, no success.

So, the service manager said he would contact the mother ship (main office in Atlanta) and seek a solution. He was polite, professional and genuinely concerned...if I paid $30K for a bike, I'd want everything to work too.

Took my contact information and said he'd get back to me. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Semper Fi

PS - the ride yesterday was epic...why...because it's a BMW K1600B...

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
FINAL UPDATE
Not sure what I did...other than buy someone a Starbucks gift card who went out of her way to please a customer. Nonetheless, I've finally seen the elusive OK...whoooooo hooo.

As you can see in the pic...everything is normal, bike in neutral, nicely warmed up...although, the hill braking system is engaged. Guess my bike works...yea.

Thank you all for your assistance, suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Semper Fi

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Andrei,

It was a short ride...maybe 20 minutes...shut off bike...started it...moved maybe 25 feet...shut it off...(in line at Starbucks)...started it...bingo...OK showed up...shut it off...started it and rode off with the OK showing...then it went to dashes...have not seen the OK since that day...rode it maybe 10 times...no OK.

To ensure safe operations, I use the dipstick.

Semper Fi

PS - The dealer could not find anything...they sent a message to BMW office in Georgia (I think). I have not heard from them.

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I'd like to ad something to try for those affected with the "no OK" dilemma.
I need to do specific procedures on both of my GTL's, so I'm wondering if the logic is the same as burned into the older K's?
1- start bike and let idle until radiator fan comes on
2- After fan comes on, shut bike off for 30 sec - 1 minute
3- Start bike and check oil level, "OK" appears if oil level is sufficient.

The key is the radiator fan coming on. Works every time.
Try it and et us know.
Greetings,

I think you might have something...that is essentially what I did at Starbucks...rode 30 mins to get to Starbucks...arrived and shut off bike...waited until I could move up...started it up...bingo.

I'll try your experiment AM...

Semper Fi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts