BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 22B does the same thing and my service guy said it only indicated anything when the oil level is low. When I do my next oil change myself I'll try to very this but for now I'll just keep checking it every now and then.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
367 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Some folks may be frustrated, but all the parameters in the OM must be met simultaneously.
For example, “for miles and miles” down the road does not work….unless the transmission is in N for at least 10 sec.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 22 GTL and I have noticed the same thing as you. However, when I am riding it, if I check the screen from time to time, I do get a green light indicator, and then after that I don't get anything but the white dash. I have wondered about that, & need to look into it more. I tend to check the oil from time to time just to make sure that it is not physically low on oil, per the instructions on how to check the oil level.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
367 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Mine still doesn’t read even if I follow the manual word for word.
…and your dipstick measured oil level, properly checked, is OK? If so, then yours may have a problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
…and your dipstick measured oil level, properly checked, is OK? If so, then yours may have a problem.
Yes, I always use dipstick as the final say but yes oil level is good. Looks like numerous 2022’s are being reported as doing this even when done exactly by the book. Not a huge deal, just more of an annoyance than anything. I like for the stuff I paid for to work right but as long as the dipstick reads correct it’s not a real problem.

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
UPDATE
I visited the dealer today and was told it could quite possibly be a sensor or a software update. He tried to tell me how to do it but left out a few steps...that's okay, that's why we read the manual. Nonetheless, the dipstick works okay and I told him at my next maintenance visit his tech could take a look at it. On a side note, they're only getting 30% of their normal allocation...sad day for sales people.

Checking the oil is important...and easy, especially when flying...I checked it before EVERY flight.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2022 Grand America
85 Posts
Thanks for the update @USMC G2

Are they still having supplier chain issues or is it something else in relation to the 30% allotment?
They're going to be selling the 2023 soon I believe. Checking the website it seems the MSRP has gone up a bit too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
UPDATE
I visited the dealer today and was told it could quite possible be a sensor or a software update. He tried to tell me how to do it but left out a few steps...that's okay, that's why we read the manual. Nonetheless, the dipstick works okay and I told him at my next maintenance visit his tech could take a look at it. On a side note, they're only getting 30% of their normal allocation...sad day for sales people.

Checking the oil is important...and easy, especially when flying...I checked it before EVERY flight.

Semper Fi
Thanks for the update!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
Ok i did some checks after riding back from an evening out with friends. First video side stand down, after 1 minute still no result. Only thing that changes is temperature

Second video side stand up, nothing else, result in about 30 seconds

In both situations I'm standing with 2 feet on the ground, no brake, no clutch, no gear, bike is vertical. I've done nothing more than drive home, stop, put bike in neutral and take the two videos. You wouldn't have got the first video except that I automatically put the side stand down and didn't remember. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Page 40 in the manual :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course it can only say OK or LOW, when measured with the engine running, because the oil is circulating, the oil pump generating different pressures depending on the RPMs. Generally, oil level is measured with engine NOT running, to get an exact reading from the oil pan, or oil reservoir on dry sump engines. And since oil expands in volume depending on temperature, for those that measure to the ML, the manufacturers specify operating temp, even though cold temp would be close enough even for the user in Alaska in the depth of winter. This display is just practical for folks who just want to ride, and once a in blue moon during the ride wanna know they're ok because they just remembered they haven't checked the oil since last oil change.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,878 Posts
Of course it can only say OK or LOW, when measured with the engine running, because the oil is circulating, the oil pump generating different pressures depending on the RPMs. Generally, oil level is measured with engine NOT running, to get an exact reading from the oil pan, or oil reservoir on dry sump engines. And since oil expands in volume depending on temperature, for those that measure to the ML, the manufacturers specify operating temp, even though cold temp would be close enough even for the user in Alaska in the depth of winter. This display is just practical for folks who just want to ride, and once a in blue moon during the ride wanna know they're ok because they just remembered they haven't checked the oil since last oil change.
That's if it works, which this thread is all about it not working.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I had glanced at the vehicle screen and noticed the "Check OK" symbol on my '22 B. I didn't give much thought to whether it was a Tuesday or which foot was on the ground. Because apparently there are a lot of rules to follow.

But I was checking the oil level after the break in service. There was zero oil on the dipstick (I do know how to measure it). I added .5 qt. just to see a little oil at the bottom of the stick, and another .25 qt. after that, going thru several warm ups and rest periods each time. I bet the dealer just dumped in some prescribed amount of oil in the block and didn't bother with any devilish detail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had glanced at the vehicle screen and noticed the "Check OK" symbol on my '22 B. I didn't give much thought to whether it was a Tuesday or which foot was on the ground. Because apparently there are a lot of rules to follow.

But I was checking the oil level after the break in service. There was zero oil on the dipstick (I do know how to measure it). I added .5 qt. just to see a little oil at the bottom of the stick, and another .25 qt. after that, going thru several warm ups and rest periods each time. I bet the dealer just dumped in some prescribed amount of oil in the block and didn't bother with any devilish detail.
Ouch! That’s 3/4 of a quart low after the break in service, that’s not a small amount, I would definitely be inquiring with the service department after that!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
This display is just practical for folks who just want to ride, and once a in blue moon during the ride wanna know they're ok because they just remembered they haven't checked the oil since last oil change.
This is so true, I'm going on a long ride next weekend so I will check properly, but in the main it's just a feel good factor.

Also after a while you know your bike, you know how much oil it consumes, so you kind of get into a rhythm of knowing when it should be checked.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts