BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
Just got back from a spirited hour long run. Followed all the steps in the book, three times. Nothing. Oh well.
Very strange :confused:
I don't know how you can test 3 times. What does that mean? You just stop the bike, in neutral, no brakes and watch the display. I've never started the bike and tried, is that what you're doing differently?

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
12,300 mi as of 6 Aug
My '18 GTL is at 102,000 miles and using about 1 cc per mile. I've run it super-hard, over 115 mph a lot in Colorado, Utah and Nevada. My only regret is not manually checking the oil more often. When the check light comes on I think it's closer to a quart low. It's a pain but put it on the center stand and shut it down after a long ride. Then pull the stick to see where the oil is. If the stick is dry dump in a half quart.

Registered
2013 GTL
It works on my old 2013 GTL, and I know this because I tried it once in the two years I've owned it, so as you can tell it wouldn't bother me if it stopped working, but if I bought a brand new bike under warranty I would ensure BMW corrected it or offered some form of compensation if it wasn't working.

Registered
Very strange :confused:
I don't know how you can test 3 times. What does that mean? You just stop the bike, in neutral, no brakes and watch the display. I've never started the bike and tried, is that what you're doing differently?
I performed the prescribed steps three times in a row, after my run. After each attempt, I would put the bike into some other configuration. Side stand down, brakes applied, etc. Then follow the manual's steps, again.

Registered
It works on my old 2013 GTL, and I know this because I tried it once in the two years I've owned it, so as you can tell it wouldn't bother me if it stopped working, but if I bought a brand new bike under warranty I would ensure BMW corrected it or offered some form of compensation if it wasn't working.
I agree! My only reservation is I have to let the dealer look at the bike:) With "minor" things like this I am hesitant because I know the dealer/employees couldn't care less about my bike. I get tired of the boot scrapes on seats, scratches do to sloppy tightening of bolts, washing the bike when specifically asked NOT to wash the bike, etc. When I HAVE to leave it, I take a video of the bike in the dealers lot and pictures from all angles. The shop manager asked what I was doing once and I told him. He stated everyone should do the exact thing, to protect everyone involved.

Registered
2022 K1600B
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
SECOND UPDATE
Greetings,
I stopped by another dealer yesterday (okay, it was an excuse to ride the K1600B). They took the time to hook up the bike to computer and performed several functions (updating software, etc.), however, they could not find a problem. He checked the oil lever using the old fashion method - dipstick. The technician also took the bike for a ride and could not get the display to show anything but dashes.

The service manager did several google searches, no success.

So, the service manager said he would contact the mother ship (main office in Atlanta) and seek a solution. He was polite, professional and genuinely concerned...if I paid $30K for a bike, I'd want everything to work too.

Took my contact information and said he'd get back to me. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Semper Fi

PS - the ride yesterday was epic...why...because it's a BMW K1600B...

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
The technician also took the bike for a ride and could not get the display to show anything but dashes.
It sort of implies that the software / configuration might be different to Rest of World (RoW). It was like that on the old version as well. In RoW we couldn't get the downlight to work

Premium Member
And staying away from it!
I will mention it when I see them again. Pros and cons. I will hardly ever see the dealer unless I need something under warranty. But they are just a couple miles from the house, so very convenient. They know me as I've bought and serviced several bikes, and that can matter.

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
I performed the prescribed steps three times in a row, after my run. After each attempt, I would put the bike into some other configuration. Side stand down, brakes applied, etc. Then follow the manual's steps, again.
Did you go for a ride between each time? Were the ABS check lights on? For me, it works if you go for a ride until the engine is warm, so maybe 5 miles. Then stop and take the reading.

Registered
Of course it can only say OK or LOW, when measured with the engine running, because the oil is circulating, the oil pump generating different pressures depending on the RPMs. Generally, oil level is measured with engine NOT running, to get an exact reading from the oil pan, or oil reservoir on dry sump engines.
My 2020 has the on-dash oil level hidden in the menu. These conditions must be met:
engine at operating temp
idling for at least 10 seconds
no brake applied
side stand up
motorcycle upright

Display will show:
OK
Check!
- - - (no measurement possible, conditions not met)

Now that I think about it, I'm thinking mine always shows the 3 dashes! Not having read the entire manual as Arizona Jim or Andy (I think it's one of them) suggests, I had seen the dashes and thought it meant "full". Oh, well, read and learn. I'll have to check this out.

Registered
2022 K1600B
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
FINAL UPDATE
Not sure what I did...other than buy someone a Starbucks gift card who went out of her way to please a customer. Nonetheless, I've finally seen the elusive OK...whoooooo hooo.

As you can see in the pic...everything is normal, bike in neutral, nicely warmed up...although, the hill braking system is engaged. Guess my bike works...yea.

Thank you all for your assistance, suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Semper Fi

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
FINAL UPDATE
Not sure what I did...other than buy someone a Starbucks gift card who went out of her way to please a customer. Nonetheless, I've finally seen the elusive OK...whoooooo hooo.

As you can see in the pic...everything is normal, bike in neutral, nicely warmed up...although, the hill braking system is engaged. Guess my bike works...yea.

Thank you all for your assistance, suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Semper Fi

View attachment 168296
Keep the faith

Registered
2018 K1600B
2022 MI/KM:
See, not too overworked about it and it showed up鈥.鈥淎 watched pot never boils鈥

Reactions: USMC G2

Registered
My 2020 showed "OK" when I followed the directions as I posted from the Owner's Manual above. Guess I need to RTFM!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts