BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love everything about this combo, except for 1 issue. When I start up the helmet and the bike (I've reversed that order as well), Sena is telling me everything is connected. But, I'm getting no Bluetooth audio from the bike. I have my helmet paired to: BMW, Nav VI, cell phone. When this happens, the bike is saying it's connected and the speakers are "Off" automatically. I can't get audio at all unless I turn the speakers back on and then it's obviously audio from the bike speakers. Am I missing something here?

If I unpair the helmet to the bike, then re-pair the BT connection, the audio works just fine in the helmet. So, I've been starting up my bike, unpairing the helmet, the re-pairing just so I can hear the bike's stereo in my helmet.

I've read somewhere that perhaps there is an issue and you have to turn on the helmet first, then the bike and if it doesn't work, try again until it does. I've not been successful and have to unpair and re-pair every time I start up.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I love everything about this combo, except for 1 issue. When I start up the helmet and the bike (I've reversed that order as well), Sena is telling me everything is connected. But, I'm getting no Bluetooth audio from the bike. I have my helmet paired to: BMW, Nav VI, cell phone. When this happens, the bike is saying it's connected and the speakers are "Off" automatically. I can't get audio at all unless I turn the speakers back on and then it's obviously audio from the bike speakers. Am I missing something here?

If I unpair the helmet to the bike, then re-pair the BT connection, the audio works just fine in the helmet. So, I've been starting up my bike, unpairing the helmet, the re-pairing just so I can hear the bike's stereo in my helmet.

I've read somewhere that perhaps there is an issue and you have to turn on the helmet first, then the bike and if it doesn't work, try again until it does. I've not been successful and have to unpair and re-pair every time I start up.
With my previous (older) Sena, the helmet unit needed to be on b4 firing up the bike audio in order to pair up. Don't know if that remains the case, but you could do a little experimenting.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't have the Sena but I have nothing connected to the bike BT (never use it at all), I have phone to NavVI and Helmet to NavVI.

I think there is a 2nd channel on Sena's when you want to pair to multiple devices simulaneously

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I am using an SM10 and speaker bridge to get bike audio to the SRL. But before that, I had a similar install to you.

Try this as per the SRL manual:

Clear all pairings, factory reset the SRL
Pair bike to SRL as Phone 1 (bike speakers off)
Pair NAV to SRL as Phone 2
Pair phone to NAV

Always turn on the SRL first. Once on, I leave it on all day. This worked seamlessly for me for quite a while. I switched tot he SM10 so I could add radar.

I am using a NAV V, but the VI should work the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
To setup your Neotec 2 here was the order of my setup. Delete all current pairings prior to start. (Headset, Phone, Nav VI, GTL)

1. SLR (phone 1) to GTL
2. SLR (phone 2) to NAV VI
3. NAV VI to Cell Phone

·
Registered
180 Posts
My understanding is that the SRL (and 20S) are two channel systems. When they reconnect with devices, they do it on the basis of last connected, so if I am reading this correctly, you are trying to connect to 3 devices via Bluetooth simultaneously with only two channels - BMW, Nav VI and cell phone. so in short, pick two to pair with or:-

1. Pair phone to NAV6.
2. Pair SRL to NAV6 using GPS paring.
3. Pair SRL to BMW using Media Selective pairing

This will give you:-
- Nav directions mixed in and overlaid over the BMW audio and or intercom. Volume drops slightly on intercom / BMW audio when NAV6 speaks.
- Receive phone calls - but make sure you disconnect the intercom by pressing the centre button before answering, otherwise you get one way audio on the call.
- Audio sharing with your passenger if they are using 20S or SRL from BMW audio.
- Unfortunately no audio sharing available from NAV6 or phone via intercom.

If you use Phone Pairing rather than GPS pairing, then the GPS audio will will cut the audio from bike speakers and intercom completely, which can be annoying.

Needless to say, start with a clean set up with all pairings deleted and the latest firmware on the SRL

Joe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine does it every now and then. Says it is connected but when trying to play music it says no Bluetooth audio device connected. Either waiting for a minute or so to sort itself out or go into the settings on the Nav and turn Bluetooth off and back on normally sorts it. Usually my helmet Bluetooth is on before I switch the bike on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the SRL connected in the way that is described and I am having issues with the music cutting out intermittently only after I intercom with another helmet and it keeps doing it until I turn the bike off and back on again. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue?

·
Registered
180 Posts
After discussions with a fellow member of the forum and some experimentation, this comment was wrong:-

If you use Phone Pairing rather than GPS pairing, then the GPS audio will will cut the audio from bike speakers and intercom completely, which can be annoying.
It should say, if you use Phone Pairing rather than GPS pairing, then the Intercom will cut out when the NAV6 is speaking.

Mixing of audio only takes place in the SRL when one audio is intercom, and the other is of a lower priority than intercom. From section 20 listing priority highest to lowest:

1. Mobile phone
2. Voice command mode
3. Intercom
4. [GPS paired with GPS pairing] #not listed in the manual.
5. Music sharing by Bluetooth stereo music FM Radio
6. Bluetooth stereo music

Higher priority connections silence lower priority connections except when the higher priority is Intercom, then it's overlaid.

...issues with the music cutting out intermittently...
Can you describe this in more detail. Is it like a really bad Skype call, or simply silence?

Are you running the latest firmware?

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do have the latest firmware. Yes, it’s like a really bad Skype call. I will try to delete all pairings and reconnect everything again.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
With this pairing sequence: I'm assuming you do not use the Sena phone app to manage the device. Is that correct?

"To setup your Neotec 2 here was the order of my setup. Delete all current pairings prior to start. (Headset, Phone, Nav VI, GTL)

1. SLR (phone 1) to GTL
2. SLR (phone 2) to NAV VI
3. NAV VI to Cell Phone"[/I][/COLOR]

H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been keeping an eye on this thread. Recently bought an R1250RT and was having some problems pairing my Sena SRL to the bike. I did the "delete all pairings" on the headset, then did bike on mobile 1, Nav. VI to GPS, then repaired my wifes SRL with mine. Bike audio came in great (used audio sharing for wife).....in the garage or at a stop. Once moving and/or GPS chimed in, the audio would break up.

Spoke to Sena yesterday. Suggested I do a factory reset (didnt do that before) and starting over. And try pairing GPS to mobile phone 2. So last night I did this....and here's what I wasn't expecting:

I paired the bike to Sena with ign. on (of course) but radio off. NAV. VI was in the factory cradle powered up, all pairing cleared. Turned on the radio, and music played. So next step I figure....pair the SRL to the Nav. VI. I pressed a button on the Nav. to get to the bluetooth screen befor I shut the radio down....And I heard the NAV. I pressed a few more buttons, and heard the beeps and it would lower the radio slightly each time. This is with the SRL NOT paired to the NAV VI.....only to the bike.

Shut radio off and no sound from the NAV. So considering we dont always listen to music, I then paired the SRL to mobile phone 2. Will activate Bluetooth on the NAV when NOT listening to music......Deactivate when the radio is on. So have any of you noticed this on your bikes? NAV audio comes in with bike audio when SRL ONLY PAIRED TO THE BIKE? Im not complaing about it......Just wasnt expecting it and didnt read anywhere that its supposed to operate this way. Im thinking the bad audio/music signal I was getting before from bike was because the Nav was feeding in through bike (with the music) AND paired again with the SRL on another bluetooth (GPS pairing) channel at the same time???

Just curious on what some of you think...Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
324 Posts
So have any of you noticed this on your bikes? NAV audio comes in with bike audio when SRL ONLY PAIRED TO THE BIKE? Im not complaing about it......Just wasnt expecting it and didnt read anywhere that its supposed to operate this way. Im thinking the bad audio/music signal I was getting before from bike was because the Nav was feeding in through bike (with the music) AND paired again with the SRL on another bluetooth (GPS pairing) channel at the same time???
If the bike's audio is active and the NAV VI does not have an active Bluetooth connection then you will hear the NAV VI beeps and directional instructions through the bike's audio, but you will not hear any music played on the NAV VI; However, if the NAV VI has an active Bluetooth connection then all beeps, directional instructions and music are played over that Bluetooth connection and are not simultaneously routed to the bike's audio system.

The issues you have found when using music sharing are legion on the Sena SRL / 20S Evo and other Sena devices that support it when connected to the BMW audio system. Sena know this but always play dumb. The most reliable solution for streaming the bike's audio to both headsets is to wire in a Sena SM10 which will stream to two helmets simultaneously, and ignore the bike's Bluetooth completely. The caveat is that the SM10 needs to be mounted in the open, close to both helmets - e.g. on the 'bars - and not buried under panels. There are a number of threads that detail how to connect an SM10 to the bike's audio system, and the other advantage is that you can then use the wonder wheel to control the audio volume. The NAV VI should be paired to the rider's headset separately if you wish to hear navigation instructions when not using the bike's audio system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the bike's audio is active and the NAV VI does not have an active Bluetooth connection then you will hear the NAV VI beeps and directional instructions through the bike's audio, but you will not hear any music played on the NAV VI; However, if the NAV VI has an active Bluetooth connection then all beeps, directional instructions and music are played over that Bluetooth connection and are not simultaneously routed to the bike's audio system.

The issues you have found when using music sharing are legion on the Sena SRL / 20S Evo and other Sena devices that support it when connected to the BMW audio system. Sena know this but always play dumb. The most reliable solution for streaming the bike's audio to both headsets is to wire in a Sena SM10 which will stream to two helmets simultaneously, and ignore the bike's Bluetooth completely. The caveat is that the SM10 needs to be mounted in the open, close to both helmets - e.g. on the 'bars - and not buried under panels. There are a number of threads that detail how to connect an SM10 to the bike's audio system, and the other advantage is that you can then use the wonder wheel to control the audio volume. The NAV VI should be paired to the rider's headset separately if you wish to hear navigation instructions when not using the bike's audio system.
Hi Phil, When Bluetooth is OFF on the NAV. I hear both music (bikes audio) and the NAV on my headset (which is paired to the bike. Not sure what you mean by " will not hear music played over the Nav". But I did notice on the NAV. under bluetooth theres a button to "play bluetooth music automatically". Not sure what that means but I left it unchecked.
Keep in mind I DO NOT have my phone paired with anything. Music I just want to use the satellite radio from Bikes audio system.
So when the bluetooth is active on the NAV, both the music from bike AND the NAV sounds & voice are coming from the NAV. and not the bike audio system? Just trying to figure out what was causing the interference. Thanks for your help sir

·
Registered
4 Posts
PS.......I was getting the interference whether I had the music sharing on or off. I dont have the bike paired to helmet 2 (wasnt able to) I use the sharing feature on the SRL. Seems to work fine. She hears everything that Im hearing....Good quality or bad

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not sure what you mean by " will not hear music played over the Nav"
Apologies for the clumsy phrasing. What I meant is that you can’t play music on the NAV VI through the bike's audio system.
So when the bluetooth is active on the NAV, both the music from bike AND the NAV sounds & voice are coming from the NAV. and not the bike audio system?
No. There are two paths to your headset if it is paired to the bike and to the NAV VI. One is the bike's audio system, which the music will be played over, and assuming that the NAV VI has an active Bluetooth connection to the helmet, the NAV sounds and instructions come directly from the NAV VI to the helmet, bypassing the bike's audio system. In other words, the headset is merging the sources.

If the NAV VI does not have an active Bluetooth connection to the helmet (Bluetooth turned off, or not paired) then the bike's audio system merges the music it's playing and the NAV sounds and instructions, and then sends the merged audio to the headset as a single source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apologies for the clumsy phrasing. What I meant is that you can’t play music on the NAV VI through the bike's audio system.
No. There are two paths to your headset if it is paired to the bike and to the NAV VI. One is the bike's audio system, which the music will be played over, and assuming that the NAV VI has an active Bluetooth connection to the helmet, the NAV sounds and instructions come directly from the NAV VI to the helmet, bypassing the bike's audio system. In other words, the headset is merging the sources.

If the NAV VI does not have an active Bluetooth connection to the helmet (Bluetooth turned off, or not paired) then the bike's audio system merges the music it's playing and the NAV sounds and instructions, and then sends the merged audio to the headset as a single source.
OK, I got it.....Im going to test it out this weekend. Appears the factory reset on the SRL made a difference and I paired the NAV VI to mobile 2 (vs GPS pairing like last time) Right now it doesn't appear to have any interference, but music and NAV VI sound seem to flow better together coming through bike audio system. So it appears Ill just deactivate bluetooth on the NAV VI when we decide we want to hear some music.....But I'll try it both ways on the road.

Thanks again Phil....Ride safe!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts