1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
He also wrote much of the music, he was a rider, he was an amazing drummer. When I heard I was genuinely saddened and that just doesn't happen for me. Rush was the backbeat of my youth and the constant companion of all of my power sports and all of my adventures, I was absolutely rocked when I heard, still am.

Heartbroken -- Rest in Peace brother.

Interview with Neil talking about limelight

And to keep it on topic, Rush, performing Driven - focused on Neil

And finally, one of my favorite drum solos

·
Registered
337 Posts
RIP Neil Peart.

.......No 1 (in my humble opinion) Keith Moon, however, to each their own phat6

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
What a bummer. RIP Neil.

I enjoyed reading about his motorcycle travels...(and his music too, of course)

It was his review of the Aerostich Gore Tex Leather Transit 2 (5 yrs ago?) that made me take a chance on it.

It turned out to be the best all around 2 piece suit I’ve ever owned...

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Another rock giant gone, RIP. :frown:
I remember seeing a documentary about why he quit Rush, saying as he couldnt perform at his best he'd rather quit.

If you haven't read any of his books you must get his novel 'Ghost Rider' Its about going on a bike journey after the loss of his wife and daughter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Rider-Travels-Healing-Road/dp/1550225480/ref=sr_1_4?crid=31B1L0RZ5MFRO&keywords=neil+peart+books&qid=1578703503&sprefix=neil+peart,aps,145&sr=8-4

Thats the UK link but you'll get it stateside.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Feb 1980. Kemper Arena in KCMO. My first concert. Permanent Waves tour.. His influence on musicians cannot be overstated. RIP.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I always respected Rush but could never really get past Geddy Lee's voice. If Rush had been an instrumental band, I'd have liked them somewhat more.

Upon reading Ghost Rider by, I became a huge Neal Peart fan. That book about Peart's tribulations helped me realize that I couldn't wait for retirement to start making my motorcycle touring aspirations come true.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feb 1980. Kemper Arena in KCMO. My first concert. Permanent Waves tour.. His influence on musicians cannot be overstated. RIP.
We must be the same age. Those were my concert going teen years. My friends and I were huge Rush fans. We saw them three times, all at the Fabulous Forum in L.A. That was our go-to venue at the time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have never been a Rush fan, yet have always appreciated the intellectualism which came from Neil Peart. I didn't know much about him until I read "Ghost Rider". As previously stated, this book is a must-read to learn about how a person dealt with extreme grief by putting thousands of miles on a BMW GS. As with anyone's passing, I wish him God's Blessings.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I pretty much wore out the Fly By Night 8-track back in high school. Then came 2112. The one and only time I saw them live was right after the release of that album. They performed it in its entirety at the Music Hall in Houston. Great memory. Truly sad to have lost such a fine musician and nice person.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I pretty much wore out the Fly By Night 8-track back in high school. Then came 2112. The one and only time I saw them live was right after the release of that album. They performed it in its entirety at the Music Hall in Houston. Great memory. Truly sad to have lost such a fine musician and nice person.
I had never heard any rock music before when one of the guys in our moving van offered me a hit of what he was smoking and asked me if I like the music that was playing on the semi' 8-track. I declined the hit, but couldn't make sense of the music at first, I told him I had never heard that kind of music before and explained I usually only could listen to what my mom and dad had on hand which was classical, jazz, opera, and country, my family being bookends of musical tastes and me being kind of meh about it all. The mover shook his head, said 'kid, you have no idea what you are missing' told me to sit there and just listen and walked away to help load the truck. I sat and listened to the whole album, that album turned out to be Fly by Night. I asked him where to get it and he walks over, looks in our car, sees an 8-track, comes back and gives me the tape right out of his deck and a second tape off the dash, says 'enjoy', the second tape was a well used copy of Zeppelin IV. Our family traveled a lot and we took turns picking music, my mom leaning towards opera and classical, my dad leaning towards country, and Jazz was what everyone tolerated. When it came to my turn, my dad turns to me and says 'jazz or country' because it was an inside joke that I would never choose opera, and I sheepishly hand him my new Rush tape. He looks at it, shrugs and plugs it in. This is somewhere between barstow and nowhere. As the first few notes of Anthem start in my Dad turns to me and smiles because he knows what is coming, he is exposed to rock while at work as his team tends to be younger. My mom looks like she is going apoplectic. I am lovin' it. Somewhere along the way to our new house we split the difference and bought an eagles album but I will never forget the experience of being introduced to the genre through Rush and further down the road Led Zeppelin.

My Dad never got to be a Rush fan but he did become a Zeppelin fan and an ardant Eagles fan and our relationship revolved around that as we both grew older, as it gave us both something besides cars we could both relate to. All because of some long haired hired hand who packed trucks for a living. Brother I owe you one..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was out getting supplies today and listening to Rush. I was thinking about when I saw them live back when 2112 came out sometime around 76-77. Then now I see this thread. ****!

I too saw his story about his life after the deaths of his wife and child. Made me love the man even more!

Crap, what a bummer...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts