BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RDL for K1600B Grand America

Well, GA just went under the knife. Let's hope she comes out looking great!

I've opted to go with the bubble gum pink sunbrella seating, & a raspberry vinyl side panels. Different yes, but should go great with the Austin Yellow.

I let you guys know how it turns out. Of course great planning on my part, it's over 107 degrees today! Yikes! Luckily I had my Klim Quench Pack, iced.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good job! Did the RDL ride in service myself for my B. Went with full leather. Hope you love yours!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Russell Day Long - K1600B Grand America

Good job! Did the RDL ride in service myself for my B. Went with full leather. Hope you love yours!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Thank you! They did an outstanding job for me. Very excited despite catching rain on my way back!:crying: I guess it's broke in right then!:laugh: I could tell immediately how much more comfortable the seat was as soon as I sat on it, and only happier the farther I rode!

Cheers!:cheers:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A Day at Russell Day Long - Yes!!!

Here's a few pics of before and after RDL did their excellent rework of the stock bed pan. I wanted to be close up on the tank, which is how I ride this bike for whatever reason, but where I'm comfortable. Mission accomplished, with ample room for my passenger or Cortech bag.

I asked that they build up the passenger seat to act as driver's back rest, and that also worked out very well. I can now use the highway boards and be comfortable, leaning against the pillion.

It is very nice to get away from the Airhawk, though it is a great product, the custom RDL is so much more comfortable, stable, and snug for me.

I went with the matching black vinyl and charcoal leather seating inserts.

They say you need 500 to 1000 miles to get the RDL broke in, but the difference in feel, support, comfort, and stability is immediate, not to mention how it greatly it enhances the appearance of the bike. The heat element and function was retained as well!

Jay and all the guys down at RDL were very friendly and helpful. Jay gave me a ride to the pizza restaurant to cool out from that 108 degree heat and stuff myself.

Notice how the stitching matches up pretty D*** good from the head rest (material added there) to the passenger backrest. Just the outside line were off, but not too shabby at all!:laugh:

Seems like the best mod, one can make whether a serious tourer or someone like me who just likes to feel comfortable on the shorter jaunts, or a few hundred miles at a time. Cheers!:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bubble Gum Pink Sunbrella - Raspberry vinyl side panels

We need pics of this color scheme!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just my luck the Bubble Gum Pink Sunbrella and Raspberry vinyl was in such demand, it can now only be special ordered, so I opted for something a little more conservative, albeit not quite as eye catching.:mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
i like the grey and the stitching - looks great - can i ask what it cost for the extra work - im assuming S3 solo sunbrella - $585 - Plus the $165 trunk mounted backrest (based on their price list) + $80 drive in -that about right ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RDL on K1600B Grand America

i like the grey and the stitching - looks great - can i ask what it cost for the extra work - im assuming S3 solo sunbrella - $585 - Plus the $165 trunk mounted backrest (based on their price list) + $80 drive in -that about right ?
Day Long Dual - Vinyl & leather - 665
Material - 100
Recover Pass B1 - 140
" " B2 - 155
Retain stock seat heating - 50
==========================
Total (excluding ride in) $1117.25 (tax $7.25)

The entire passenger head rest and back rest was recovered, as well as entire seat in vinyl with leather on seating & passenger rest areas, in small diamond stitch.:smile: I was actually thrilled by the pricing for this level of customization and quality.

Note: S3 is $765, hence the 665 plus 100 for material.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RDL on Grand America - Yes!!

Probably the best upgrade you can get for a bike: comfort = actually riding it
Yes, I would agree, and not to mention that it will last for many years, with enjoyment and that special customization, that makes your bike stand out. Coincidentally, when I was waiting inside the RDL office, a couple came in and wanted to have their 10 year old RDL seat recovered. They had opted for the vinyl last time and it had been so durable that they wanted to go with that again. Ten years of riding, 2 up, and just now considering a refinish says a lot to me about the durability, and the value of the RDL. Money well spent!:smile:

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I asked that they build up the passenger seat to act as driver's back rest, and that also worked out very well. I can now use the highway boards and be comfortable, leaning against the pillion.

:grin:
Interesting concept. I've had backrests on my Ultra and my Goldwing and have generally liked having them...but at times, particularly if wearing my Glacier Tek cooling vest, I feel pushed forward a bit. Your solution might be a good compromise for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Love the Custom RDL!

Interesting concept. I've had backrests on my Ultra and my Goldwing and have generally liked having them...but at times, particularly if wearing my Glacier Tek cooling vest, I feel pushed forward a bit. Your solution might be a good compromise for me.
For me it works like a charm, and for the first time I can really utilize the highway boards, as I recline against the back of the seat, and it feels comfortably snug. Previously, I only used the boards maybe 5% of the time, because the angle of the boards felt awkward.

With my Klim Quench pack inside (back) my Revit Jacket, no interference because of the lower back support. I measured the rise they built up for me at 6" from the rearmost portion of the seat.

Anyhow RDL did a tremendous customization for how I like to ride this bike, which is totally contrary to my beloved CVO Ultra, which was more in the upright riding postion (punishing to my back with only 3" of total rear suspension). It's also nice to no longer need the Airhawk (great product), which sat me a little higher.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts