BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW K1600 GTL, 2008 HD ULTRA CVO, 2004 HD ROAD KING
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On June 8th I'm riding into Russel to have my saddle made, the long wait is over. Made the appointment last summer, now it's time. I live in Idaho, but trailering my BMW and HD Ultra to San Antonio, TX. My little brother is getting the trailer and my other brother is getting my 03 Tahoe and his Ultra. I'm then riding from Texas to Shasta Lake for my ride-in appointment. Having the works done with an embroidery. On the backrest: UDT/SEAL

Gesture Rectangle Font Art Flag

·
Bubonic
1,373 Posts
Jealousy at 100% here in Michigan icing my saddle sores...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I do not use the trailer anymore, Rex has a HD and needs it. Garry is getting the Tahoe to sell and I'm returning his 08 CVO Ultra. I'm not looking forward to the trip to CA, made it twice before and it BORING!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
No, I do not use the trailer anymore, Rex has a HD and needs it. Garry is getting the Tahoe to sell and I'm returning his 08 CVO Ultra. I'm not looking forward to the trip to CA, made it twice before and it BORING!
If that's the case, then you're taking the wrong route(s). There are some great roads through New Mexico and Arizona. Riding north through California, you have the opportunity to ride some of the best roads in the country. They'll take a little longer since they're not the I-5 or US-101, but well worth the effort if you have the time.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already logged XXK miles through CA, yes great riding. I'm mostly talking about the ride from SA to El Paso to Phoenix to LA. It a straight got to get there ride, boring. I'm obligated to visit Mother-in-law in LA (bummer). Stopping of to visit Lee Park Design, outstanding motorcycle gloves.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is my order for my new seat;
Duel w/ backrest
Black vinyl w/ Smoke Sunbrella insert
Rectangle quilting
Heavy duty suspension both driver/passenger
Recover stock heating system
Rain cover
Embroidery backrest

Reactions: Alaska GT

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have already logged XXK miles through CA, yes great riding. I'm mostly talking about the ride from SA to El Paso to Phoenix to LA. It a straight got to get there ride, boring. I'm obligated to visit Mother-in-law in LA (bummer). Stopping of to visit Lee Park Design, outstanding motorcycle gloves.
I can't argue with the SA to El Paso. There aren't a lot of choices.

But from El Paso, if you continue up I-25 to 60 West at Socorro, you can ride great 2-lane roads to Show Low and then Prescott, and then head north to I-40. It's really is some excellent riding. I-40 West from there is much more interesting than a straight line on I-10. Coming south down I-15 (after transitioning from I-40) at Barstow, head west over to CA-2 (Angeles Crest Hwy) and cross the San Gabriel Mountains into LA. It's one of the most fabulous motorcycle roads you'll ever ride. This will all take a little more time, but well worth it if you can fit it into your schedule.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I didn’t get the really cool embroidery, but I got a similar RDL in leather. IMO, you’ll love it as well. Too bad you won’t have it for the ride from Texas. It appears that you served, THANK YOU for helping to preserve the freedom we have to go for a ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My two cents on the quilting, slippery as all ****. I have it on my smaller sports model and when I just touch the brakes she slides right into me with me heading for the gas tank. I would reconsider that one option.

RayG

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RayG-do you have the Sunbrella insert with the rectangle quilting? I was told that Sunbrella does not slide like leather.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
RayG-do you have the Sunbrella insert with the rectangle quilting? I was told that Sunbrella does not slide like leather.
Sunbrella does reduce the sliding, but doesn't completely eliminate it. I doubt the quilting pattern has much to do with how much sliding there is. Mine is the moon pattern and it works.

My only issue is that my Sunbrella fabric is torn through where my right leg/boot comes over the right edge of the seat. Not sure Sunbrella is durable enough for that spot. After noticing it starting to tear after a couple of years, I've been extra careful to not drag my boot across that spot as I mount/dismount. The seam between the top and sides could probably be a little higher there to not put it and the edge of the Sunbrella in the most stressful spot.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RefCat-I've read about that issue, I have the same issue with my Corbin on my Road King. I have it noted on my RDL document to talk to them about it. I thought its said you can not get the moon pattern with Sunbrella?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Frogman, I have the leather. It does look nice, hopefully the Sunbrella will not be as slippery. The small squares does indeed make it more likely to slip. Much less resistance on the raised squares. Have tried both so I'm confident on the slipping.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I weigh in at 175 pounds geared up and all I can tell you is my butt slides like no other seat I have ever owned. I do have a small bony butt and I'm not saying that others have more surface area but I can see where that would help. I know what happens on my own bike and given the chance I would make a different choice, but that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
675 Posts
Wouldn't you want to easily slide around the seat for different situations? I have vinyl and never thought of it as slippery! However, it is easy to slide to the front of the seat at stops. I couldn't imagine not being able to slide forward when needed or left to right in turns! Will be a PITA to have to lift my butt off the seat and move forward at stops. Sliding forward seems much simpler in my mind.

·
Registered
'01 K1200LT, '03 R1150RT
31 Posts
As Christoph noted it is necessary to slide forward at stops on an RDL saddle to get your legs past the nice wide butt cradlers. I guess I apply pressure to the pegs to lift and slide (almost like a playtex cross your heart bra) We'll see who remembers those ads! We all have different experiences I guess. I just don't find my 1" square quilted leather RDL seats particularly slippery. I am normally wearing tourmaster touring pants.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts