BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW K1600 GTL, 2008 HD ULTRA CVO, 2004 HD ROAD KING
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm using an Air Hawk pad now, BMW's seat is so BAD! I have back issues anyway, so I'm really looking forward to the change or upgrade. I would have had the all leather, but I've talked to many who have the the Sunbrella and have all positive feedback. I've had leather on my HD's, so I know what they feel like and the care required to keep them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have sunbrella, with vinyl on the sides. It is not slippery, but also not difficult to slide forward for stops. If I had to do it all over I would not get the sunbrella purely for asthetics; I don’t think it looks as good as all one material, vinyl or leather. It doesn’t look bad, just not “as nice”. My opinion.

·
Registered
730 Posts
On June 8th I'm riding into Russel to have my saddle made, the long wait is over. Made the appointment last summer, now it's time. I live in Idaho, but trailering my BMW and HD Ultra to San Antonio, TX. My little brother is getting the trailer and my other brother is getting my 03 Tahoe and his Ultra. I'm then riding from Texas to Shasta Lake for my ride-in appointment. Having the works done with an embroidery. On the backrest: UDT/SEAL

View attachment 165086
The more stitching, the more water seepage into the foam. And, ****, I'd never put my ass on my heart and soul. What you thinkin man? But I live in a climate with morning dew, etc. You are going to have a bitch of a time keeping your embroidery standing clean and proud.

·
Registered
'01 K1200LT, '03 R1150RT
31 Posts
That's why you need the rain cover that RDL will sell you. I put mine on the seat when it starts raining, and when I put the bike to bed at night outside.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's going on the backset so I can remove it if i sell the bike. They can always buy a new back rest. Also going to get a plug for the backrest slot if i remove the backrest.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Talk to Jay at RDL, decide to change to the all leather vice Sunbrella. Dark grey for body and mid grey for insert. Half moon with my trident embroidered into the back rest. No plug for the backrest slot if removed. Backrest will be ready for my "Drive in" June 8th.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
That's why you need the rain cover that RDL will sell you. I put mine on the seat when it starts raining, and when I put the bike to bed at night outside.
I only pull out the seat cover if it is really raining hard. I just do not like the thing. It is way too big and loose. It needs to be more form fitting. That is one thing about the RDL seat I don't think they got right. They really need to figure out a way to make the seat waterproof without the cover. If the seat is vinyl or sunbrella, the fabric is naturally waterproof. They just need to address the seams.

Also, since the RDL's are essentially concave, it wouldn't be a bad idea to build in a "drain" to route pooled water out the sides. Even though I wear Klim Latitude pants, my but typically gets wet when it rains. The only thing I can think of is that I'm sitting in pooled water that has no where to go and it gets pushed through the pants fabric.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts