BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Truly Gritty
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, the dashboard warning light came on for my rear lights today following a simple bike wash. My brake lights work but my left/right directionals are not working properly. It seems like they are trying to return just ever so slightly until they stop working all together. My questions are the following:

1. Is this something that will go away after it dries?
2. Is this a simple light strip replacement or does the entire rear light assembly ($550.00!) have to be replaced?

Thanks!

·
Truly Gritty
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy Ending! Two days later, a lot of praying, cussing, leaving the bike out in the sun and using a hair blowdryer; my signal lights have returned! The right side blinkers started to function yesterday and this morning the left side slowly returned after using the blowdryer on the rear brake light unit for about a half hour. Thanks for the advice Coyotek!

·
Truly Gritty
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to also report that I found the area where the water got into the rear taillight unit. The housing for the rear taillight; this is where the black plastic (backside) meets the clear plastic (front) on the unit. It is slightly lifted in one small area where the factory mastic seems to have given way or simply dried out. If anyone else is having the water infiltration issue I would check there. I wonder if BMW would consider replacing it as a defective unit? In the meantime I may try to put some silicone there if I can reach it without having to take the unit off. Regardless, if it happens again I will replace with new.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wanted to also report that I found the area where the water got into the rear taillight unit. The housing for the rear taillight; this is where the black plastic (backside) meets the clear plastic (front) on the unit. It is slightly lifted in one small area where the factory mastic seems to have given way or simply dried out. If anyone else is having the water infiltration issue I would check there. I wonder if BMW would consider replacing it as a defective unit? In the meantime I may try to put some silicone there if I can reach it without having to take the unit off. Regardless, if it happens again I will replace with new.
If it is under warranty, do not mess with it and take it to the dealer for a replacement.

·
Truly Gritty
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mr. Duane, much appreciated. On another note, I'm really interested in what you will decide regarding a new 1600GT or finding a 2016 model like mine.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,308 Posts
Thanks Mr. Duane, much appreciated. On another note, I'm really interested in what you will decide regarding a new 1600GT or finding a 2016 model like mine.
I'm in the market for a 2023 assuming, of course, they sell one. :)

Duane

Reactions: Bust-A-Cap
1 - 10 of 10 Posts