BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here have had David (Forum member GARS) make/install a set of his rear shock links to lower or raise your bike?
How do you like how the bike handles?
Did it change anything other then the height (lower/ taller) of the bike?
Why did you make this change?
What did you have done to your side/center stands to make them work properly?

Any response would be welcome.
I just put on a RDL seat & I am having trouble with the seat being too tall now so this link kit will help lower the bike some for me & get my feet more flat on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on Shock Links.

I know I'm not the only one to do this so I'm a little surprised no one responded to this thread. :confused:

I ordered a set from David & I'm glad I did. Cost was very reasonable at under $50. The quality of the workmanship is outstanding. I ordered a set that would lower the bike about 1/2 of an inch. With the links installed & my new boots that came in around the same time as the links did I can now almost flat foot the bike at stops while setting back into the seat. If I slide forward a little I can flat foot the bike. I've only been able to put 50 or so miles on the bike due to work but I feel no difference in the handling of the bike at all. The best thing of all this is I did NOT even have to shorten either the side stand nor the center stand. David has had to shorten both on a few bikes as they were lowered more then mine was. The instal is very easy as you only have 3 bolts to remove. It took me less the 15 minutes to complete.

If you have a custom seat that has raised you up to where your feet do not feel planted firmly on the ground I would highly recommend you get David to make you a set of lowering links.

David also make a side stand foot enlarger, a front axle removal tool plus a few other things for the k1600. All are of the same high quality materials & workmanship.

Click Here for a link to his items.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can only echo the comment on Dave's fine quality lowering links.

Just installed them this afternoon and only did a very short ride so can't provide a detailed report on noticeable differences in handling etc. I was really pleased I could finally get my foot flat on the ground at a stop. Hope to take my significant other for a ride this week where she won't have the fear of being dumped in the driveway again...I am a conservative rider so i don't anticipate dragging my knees, pegs or what not while carving up the twisties (I hope I have the vernacular correct).

Installation was relatively straight forward armed with the knowledge after reading posts related to lowering links - this forum and its helpful members are amazing. Of course I read about installation taking anywhere from 45 to as low as 15 minutes, from previous experience I take the highest amount of time and multiply by 4 and that usually fits my motorcycle mechanically challenged self. Of course that time included a trip to Canadian Tire to get the obligatory BMW sized torx sockets. Must say, it is rewarding making a modification and would rather struggle through it than get the work done professionally - to a point.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris did you have to shorten your side stand or center stand?
How much lower did you have David make the links?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Steve,

So far I didn't have to lower the side stand, it seems okay but will be cognizant when parking on an up slope. Haven't tried the centre stand yet but will let you know (I just got to the point where I could ALMOST get it on the stand with out help)..

I didn't ask Dave to modify what he sent out, I did specify my inseam length in my original message - 29". Tomorrow the weather looks good for a ride so hoping to get a better sense of the modification. I didn't notice that much of a rise in the front end.
Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I lowered the rear of my GT one half inch which let me go from flat foot with thick soles to slightly bent knees . Before the change I had a fear of dropping the unit in the garage moving around and stoping in traffic .The change in geometry is so slight that I do not think the ride will change .I do not drag the pegs in corners but I do crack a ton every day
I ride to work .I have built a lot of choppers, cafe racers,show bikes,one drag bike and raked several custom bikes . None were ill handling .If this mod keeps me from falling and damage then all is good for me and others who do not drag the bikes lower parts while cornering. I have made a set of links to raise the rear .7 inch for a tall customer.I have made links to drop the rear 1/2 inch and a set for 1 inch drop . I shortened a center stand for a customer who had his GTL-E Lowered one and one eighth inch with after market shocks costing hundreds of dollars . Some people have their seats cut lower to help them touch down ,some buy boots with thick soles ,so I know there is a need for a solution to this problem for people who are not touching down as well as they would like . The links are CNC cut from 1/4 inch thick steel ,selling for $40 plus shipping of $6 in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responding David. I believe you make a great product that fixes a major problem a lot of us Height challenged people have. Lowering the bike enough to make riding more enjoyable at a Very Very reasonable cost.:gm

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
like them but...

5-8" boots all the time...can flat foot '14 gtle..

I ride in comfort mode most of the time .

Rolling over speed bumps have to be very careful will hit the bottom more easily.

Ride Two up and Sport with the wife on the back.

Harder to get up on center stand, not as much lean on side stand but not that bad.

I bought the links because of 28" inseam and dropped the bike standing still several times.

Easy to swap out...maybe 1/2 hr first time. Keep the orig bolts and parts.

Also makes removing the rear tire harder but I jack up the bike with a car jack and a piece of plywood.

cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed a set of 1/2" lower links made by GARS; couldn't be happier :)
Allows me to be much more sure footed when stopped. I have noticed no difference in the GTL's handling, but I am not an overly aggressive rider.
Highly recommended option for those of us vertically challenged. :k16:

·
Registered
665 Posts
My experience with GARS has been great. Very helpful and prompt. His accessories have met or exceeded my expectations.
I think Terry is vertically challenged. I remember him saying that it allowed him to flat foot the bike and so built confidence.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm 5'3" & greatly benefit from GARS 1/2" lowering link. With Daytona M-star boots with Dr Shoals inserts & a BMS seat I can flat foot. Probably should try getting a 1' or 11/2" from him. Anybody know the threshold where it would cause a decrease in handling?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have made several sets to lower the rear one inch and no one has wanted to swap the links for a one half inch drop as of today.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I completed the installation of the GARS lowering links today. The bike is now 1.5 inches lower. It's raining here so I was not able to go out and ride. Standing still, the bike is so much more comfortable.

There were some things that I ran into that may be helpful to others on this forum.

After removing the left side exhaust assembly, I ran into my first problem. I loosened the bolts attaching the link to the rear shock, transmission, and swing arm. But that is all that I could do with hand tools. The thread locking material was doing its job. A heat gun was needed to warm up the bolts to loosen the thread locking material. After the bolts were heated they came off easily with the help of an impact wrench.

Installing the GARS links was a piece of cake from there. I used a hydraulic jack with a pad underneath the swing arm to adjust the rear wheel to line up the holes. It doesn't take much to get the hole aligned. I then used a torque wrench with an extension to torque the bolts to about 50 NM. I also used Loctite Blue to secure the bolts.

Reattaching the exhaust was straight forward. The only hitch in reattaching the muffler was the guard at the front. There is an attachment on the exhaust right after the catalytic converter that slides into this guard. After this was in place everything was tightened down.

I did experience some unexpected benefits after installing the links. To get the K1600B on it's center stand, initially, I placed a 1/2" board under the rear wheel to get the bike up on the CS. I had tried without the board and was not able to get the bike up on the CS. After the lowering the bike I was able to get it up on the center stand without help from the 1/2" board. After reading everyone's problems in getting the bike up on the CS, I thought that I would be "sweating up a storm". Maybe my technique just got better. I'm 5'4" and 150#. The side stand doesn't have to be adjusted. The bike is still at a stable angle even with the lowering. Yea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts