BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I had seen a post about this but am not finding it.

The part free days have been cool and rainy in Kansas City so it has been the first time using heated gear on my new to me 2014 K1600GT. I have noticed a smell of something burning. Today after my commute home I finally married it down to the tire rubbing on the swingarm.

The tire is a Michelin Road 5 GT with about 1600 miles. The TPMS said it was at 41psi when I pulled into the garage to check it out this evening. It was less than 50°F out and raining on the way home so I was taking it easy and when had it in rain mode.

Any ideas? Am I safe to keep riding and hope it rubs the interference away? I was planning on riding to Ureka Springs this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Looooong Road 5 post. Road 5 is no longer listed as fitting the post ‘16 K1600s is the takeaway from that lengthy post is my memory.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and hagrid

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
A quick forum search will reveal this:

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
@SRNYBERG my memory of the summary could be wrong. Not the first time if so!!

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Go back to the dealer and tell them they sold you a tire that is not recommended for your machine. Just swap out the rear for a Pilot Road 4 GT, there are no issues (as of yet) reported about the front Pilot Road 5 GT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my rear wheel out at the moment to change the bevel box oil. This is what I found:

A slight rub on the inside of the swing arm and a 2mm-wide flat spot on the very edge of the tyre. Contact is probably not constant, may be just when the tyre is distorted such as when passing over road bumps. I dont propose to do anything about it, will leave as-is. (2011 K1600 GT, Michelin PR4 GT tyre)

Attachments

·
Mr.Fix It
7,431 Posts
That “rub” is on all the final drives I’ve looked at. Either all tires rub or the rub is a machine mark from the factory. I’m confident it’s the latter.

Duane

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
That's no machine mark, it's made with rotational force. A tire caused that mark, and I don't have it on my bike. I think a set of tires made outside spec were released to the market by Michelin, and they have admitted as much.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,431 Posts
That's no machine mark, it's made with rotational force. A tire caused that mark, and I don't have it on my bike. I think a set of tires made outside spec were released to the market by Michelin, and they have admitted as much.
You’re the first one I’ve heard of that doesn’t have the “rub”.

Duane

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You’re the first one I’ve heard of that doesn’t have the “rub”.

Duane
Well I never installed PR5's, and having been a machinist I assure you those are not machine tool marks. That mark is caused by radial friction from a tire which is ever so slightly too large

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
That “rub” is on all the final drives I’ve looked at. Either all tires rub or the rub is a machine mark from the factory. I’m confident it’s the latter.

Duane
If it were a machine mark from the factory it would be dirty like the rest of the swing arm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had the 5 for several thousand miles without rubbing. But many have had the rubbing. Michelin acknowledges the issue and if you file a claim with the place that sold you the tire, Michelin will replace it with the 4. In fact even if you don’t have the rubbing, they will still replace it. I didn’t because there’s no evidence of rubbing and it’s a great tire.

·
Upside Down
1,841 Posts
Go back to the dealer and tell them they sold you a tire that is not recommended for you machine. Just swap out the rear for a Pilot Road 4 GT, there are no issues (as of yet) reported about the front Pilot Road 5 GT.
Plus if you can wash your bike before taking photos lol We are a clean bunch here and love to see sparkling clean bikes haha!!!! :p:censored::cry::unsure::cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Plus if you can wash your bike before taking photos lol We are a clean bunch here and love to see sparkling clean bikes haha!!!! :p:censored::cry::unsure::cool:
I would rather ride it than wash it. New tire on. Made it the home of the throwed rolls.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
If it was me.(it's not) and I liked those tires (I don't) I would put a 180 on it instead of a 190. I don't understand why nobody as done this already.

Reactions: Heli
1 - 20 of 35 Posts