BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Plus if you can wash your bike before taking photos lol We are a clean bunch here and love to see sparkling clean bikes haha!!!! :p:censored::cry::unsure::cool:
I washed mine the last time I rode in the rain! I'm not here to look at my bike, I'm here to ride it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here is the letter my dealer sent me from Michelin.

My dealer went a head and changed out the rear tire for a Road 4 Friday morning before my trip down to Eureka Springs, AR. good safe trip - have not yet noticed any other rubbing yet. it was cool and wet and the Road 4 seamed to do good for me so far.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I just took my '20 GTL to the Scottsdale GoAz for tires & oil, and the service guy said they recommended the Road 5. I got as far as, "Well, you know..." and he said, "I know what you're going to say." He then told me that they've fitted over 100 rear Road 5's on K1600's and "Never seen any rubbing."

I told him to make sure they have a Road 4 on hand, just in case, because I'm not gonna want a rubbing tire. Just gonna slow me down.😁

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just took my '20 GTL to the Scottsdale GoAz for tires & oil, and the service guy said they recommended the Road 5. I got as far as, "Well, you know..." and he said, "I know what you're going to say." He then told me that they've fitted over 100 rear Road 5's on K1600's and "Never seen any rubbing."

I told him to make sure they have a Road 4 on hand, just in case, because I'm not gonna want a rubbing tire. Just gonna slow me down.😁
I asked for RS's from my dealer he put the gt 5's on by mistake. I asked him if he ever had any problems with them and they said no. Looked at it last week and rear rubbed. They took back and put a 4 on no questions asked. The problem is you waste a lot of time running around when you could be riding. I am happy the dealer was honorable and they have treated me well on the tranny recall.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My rear 180/55 measures 185mm at the shoulder, my 190/55s all measured 200mm. Absolutely great tyre for my style of riding, the 180 tips in that little bit quicker but has no swingarm rub; all four sets of 190/55 rubbed the swingarm on two different K16GTs.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,428 Posts
5 issues running 180 vs 190.
1. Speedometer is off
2. Decrease in weight/load capacity
3. Less ground clearance
4. Changes the rake/trail
5. Harder to get bike on center stand

Duane

Reactions: Optimus

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
1. Speedometer is off
3. Less ground clearance

Duane
You're assuming the two are precisely sized. If the 180 is oversized in a manner similar to the 190 Mich. Road 5, it may actually be just as the designers intended. Has anyone checked the diameter of the Road 5 vs others? Maybe they tire is just too big in height as well making it effectively a 190 in actual size.

·
Registered
714 Posts
1. Speedometer is off
3. Less ground clearance

Duane
1. Revolutions per km increase by ~1.6%
2. Load for the rear tyre decreases from 387kg to 365kg, ie 5.7%. I can live with that
3. A couple of millimeters
4. Fractional change
5. Not in my experience

·
Mr.Fix It
7,428 Posts
You're assuming the two are precisely sized. If the 180 is oversized in a manner similar to the 190 Mich. Road 5, it may actually be just as the designers intended. Has anyone checked the diameter of the Road 5 vs others? Maybe they tire is just too big in height as well making it effectively a 190 in actual size.
No, I'm not assuming anything, the manufacturer states the diameter of the tire; it's embossed in the sidewall. You are 'assuming' the manufacturer is wrong. :)

Duane

·
Registered
714 Posts
No, I'm not assuming anything, the manufacturer states the diameter of the tire; it's embossed in the sidewall. You are 'assuming' the manufacturer is wrong. :)

Duane
I think that it’s well established the manufacturer is ‘wrong’ inasmuch as the width is some 10mm greater than the spec for a 190/55, and the tyre has been withdrawn from use on K16 models?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,428 Posts
I think that it’s well established the manufacturer is ‘wrong’ inasmuch as the width is some 10mm greater than the spec for a 190/55, and the tyre has been withdrawn from use on K16 models?
Your reference is ONE tire manufacturer which, to you, indicates all the manufacturers specifications are incorrect... duh.

Duane

·
Registered
714 Posts
Your reference is ONE tire manufacturer which, to you, indicates all the manufacturers specifications are incorrect... duh.

Duane
We were talking about ONE tyre manufacture, and I said as much in my reply. Please quote where I have implied this refers to ALL?

You seem determined to misinterpret what is said here, but I can’t understand what point you are trying to make.

I am comfortable with my choice to try a 180/55 R5GT rear tyre, for the reasons given: I have also responded to your assertions why this choice is wrong. Since I assume that you aren’t running 180/55 R5s then my choice is mine alone.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts

Duane
As has been well documented, the number on the side is the nominal size of the tire but not the true diameter. Yes, we only know of one that has pushed the tolerances to the extreme but that doesn't mean others haven't come close. Unless you've measured all of them, you really don't know how varied they really are.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,428 Posts
We were talking about ONE tyre manufacture, and I said as much in my reply. Please quote where I have implied this refers to ALL?

You seem determined to misinterpret what is said here, but I can’t understand what point you are trying to make.

I am comfortable with my choice to try a 180/55 R5GT rear tyre, for the reasons given: I have also responded to your assertions why this choice is wrong. Since I assume that you aren’t running 180/55 R5s then my choice is mine alone.
You are correct, this thread IS about the Michelin! I was/am WRONG to bring up 'other' tires in response to your post! My point is very simple, there are adverse ramifications to running a 180 tire on a bike vice the recommended 190. If you works for you, so-be-it. I was forced into running a 180 last summer, for all the reasons I stated in post #28, it didn't work for me. Again, my apology for being out of line.

Duane

Reactions: J-Luv and Heli

·
KBiK
1,722 Posts
This problem was well discussed and documented last year. I had my rear PR5 replaced with a PR4 at Michelin's expense.

If you have this problem, please refer to this bulleting from Michelin. A PDF is attached.

Attachments

Reactions: SRNYBERG and J-Luv
21 - 35 of 35 Posts