BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got word that NHTSA has issued a recall on all 2011-2014 BMW K1600 GT/GTL, K1300S, R1200RT/R/GS/GSA , 2013-2014 HP 4, 2011-2014 S1000 RR, 2014 S1000R and 2014 RNineT due to a possibility of the fuel flange developing a leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,552 Posts
This was posted months ago. If your bike was effected you should have received a notice directly from BMW.

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
502 Posts
BMW have really spent some time dealing with this, and it started before the K1600. For anyone interested, here is a picture of the beginnings of a problem. If you look closely at the base of the fuel fitting, you will see radial cracks emanating from where it threads into the fuel pump housing. Initially, the fix was to press a metal ring over this area to keep in in compression. Later there was a recall with replacement. This is a Siemens pump. Continental was also a supplier, but I don't know if there was any significant design change.

I put an Oetiker clamp on it, but eventually it leaked anyway. I talked to the dealer and was informed of the recall. Free replacement! This was about seven years ago.
I'm surprised to hear that there are still problems reported. I remember reading that Ducati owners were dealing with something similar. It would be interesting to know if they used the same part.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I have 2 bikes involved and still have not received notice from BMW.
I’m sure dealers here in the North East would prefer to do this now instead of the spring. Heck I would prefer to do this now as well. Can’t wait for this winter to end!!! Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I’m sure dealers here in the North East would prefer to do this now instead of the spring. Heck I would prefer to do this now as well. Can’t wait for this winter to end!!! Dan
Hard to say if they'd rather do it sooner than later. Depends on the dealership I guess. I needed service on my '09 GSA and talked to the service manager about the same type of recall for that bike. He told me that BMW NA hadn't sent the repair parts so it couldn't be done at that time. Now I have to wait for better weather and will combine the recall with some new tires.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,552 Posts
@DUSAK , your bike may not be a part of the recall. Recall covers certain VIN # only. I called my dealer with my VIN #, mine isn’t one.

Duane

·
Registered
609 Posts
This was posted months ago. If your bike was effected you should have received a notice directly from BMW. Duane
There are two recalls going on, for the same problem.

The months ago one issued in on August 10, 2020 only affected 345 k1600s manufactured from Jan 20, 2011 - April 15, 2011, and only those with the original fuel pump.

On February 8, 2021, NHTSA announce another that covers just under 6000 2011-2014 K1600s manufactured between APR 18, 2011 - FEB 28, 2014. I'm guessing they took April 16th and 17th, 2011 off?

Same problem though, and we get a new fuel pump. Neither of my 2012s are on the list and don't remember getting a new fuel pump. :unsure:

And if you paid for new pump before the recall, you can get reimbursed.(y)

·
Registered
609 Posts
On a less helpful note, though not a recall, if your left arm rest goes up at speeds of 100 mph or more, blocking the view of the mirror, you can complain and they will fix it free under
NHTSA ID Number: 10147752, Manufacturer Communication Number: MC60577201

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I never got any notice, and this isn't BMW's first go around with the exact same problem. My k1200GT same exact problem. But stubborn as **** as German engineers are they can't admit their mistake and change course

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
@DUSAK , your bike may not be a part of the recall. Recall covers certain VIN # only. I called my dealer with my VIN #, mine isn’t one.

Duane
Same here Duane. I called GoAZ and checked with them and they said the same thing, mine's fine. Different supplier, I assume.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
Same here Duane. I called GoAZ and checked with them and they said the same thing, mine's fine. Different supplier, I assume.
Clay,
Have you looked at this area on your pump to see if there are any cracks showing? I haven't but it would be easy enough to do especially when cleaning the air filter.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts

Duane
Thanks Duane. My K1200S was recalled about 6 years ago and had the metal band installed around the fuel outlet. I believe those were the problem bikes but don't know for sure..... Will have to give my dealer a call on both bikes.
So far I haven't seen anyone post about having this recall done. Anyone ??? Dan

·
Registered
416 Posts
Regarding the recall for the fuel fitting, I was notified by BMW that my bike was affected, but replacement parts weren’t available at the time. Was told I would be notified when they were available. That was several months ago but I’ve heard nothing yet.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Clay,
Have you looked at this area on your pump to see if there are any cracks showing? I haven't but it would be easy enough to do especially when cleaning the air filter.
Jim,
I checked it sometime back on an air filter change and all looked fine. Hoping I'll smell gas shortly before the explosion!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I received a notification letter from BMW yesterday that parts were now available to complete the recall. First order is to find a couple days that I can take forever and make the 220- mile ride over to Sandia BMW in Santa Fe to get the recall done. I’m so getting an intermittent code that number four coil is misfiring intermittently (it’s only happening at idle and on very, very rare occasion so not a great concern yet) so plan to get that handled at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts