BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2017 K1600 GT TOOK IT IN FOR THE RECALL JOB OF THE TRANSMISSION AND FACED A OIL LEAK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BIKE WHICH I WAS TOLD HAPPENED TO ALOT OF BIKES AND THEY REPLACED SOME COVER. GOT THE BIKE TODAY WENT FOR A RIDE AND GOT TO THE STORE TO PICK UP STUFF BUT THE BIKE WONT START. COULD HEAR THE STARTER MAKE NOISE BUT WOULDNT START THE BIKE. ANY BODY FACED THE SAME PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Was it a whirring noise that wouldn't engage? If so, it sounds like the Sprag clutch. Are you still under warranty?

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it a whirring noise that wouldn't engage? If so, it sounds like the Sprag clutch. Are you still under warranty?
Yes it’s like the starter turns but the won’t turn the engine. Just got the bike from the dealer. Guess is they didn’t put it back correctly

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
As @Prince said, the Sprag clutch is a separate issue. I'd certainly think that if it was working before you took the bike in for the transmission recall and this issue only presented itself when you picked it up, they'd fix it for you whether the bike's under warranty, or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As @Prince said, the Sprag clutch is a separate issue. I'd certainly think that if it was working before you took the bike in for the transmission recall and this issue only presented itself when you picked it up, they'd fix it for you whether the bike's under warranty, or not.
The Bikes under warranty but didn’t have this problem at all before. It takes them for ever to fix things and to make matters worse the master Techician is leaving and now they have no qualified techs here.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The Bikes under warranty but didn’t have this problem at all before. It takes them for ever to fix things and to make matters worse the master Techician is leaving and now they have no qualified techs here.
Sorry to tell you this but it sounds like you're going to be without your bike, again. That sucks but at least you're under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to tell you this but it sounds like you're going to be without your bike, again. That sucks but at least you're under warranty.
Made the switch from HD to BMW guess I made the wrong move. Riding season starts soon and if they don’t get their act together it’s gonna be a **** storm for them.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Made the switch from HD to BMW guess I made the wrong move. Riding season starts soon and if they don’t get their act together it’s gonna be a **** storm for them.
Most of us, here, would argue against the idea that HD is a better choice but I certainly understand your frustration. Good luck to you. Hopefully, your dealership takes care of you on this and you're not down for long. Please, keep us posted on how things work out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of us, here, would argue against the idea that HD is a better choice but I certainly understand your frustration. Good luck to you. Hopefully, your dealership takes care of you on this and you're not down for long. Please, keep us posted on how things work out.
Will let you know as the bike will be at the dealer tomorrow and I am goin to go and kick some butt

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
As @Vandaldog and @Prince stated, known separate issue. For reference, I had my sprag clutch replaced under warranty on my 2018 K just a few weeks ago in CA. The dealership (Ventura BMW) located the part in Stockton CA, had it delivered to their shop within a week. Had my bike at the dealership by 0830 on a Saturday and was back on the road later same day at 1P. Easy for any experienced BMW technician. They know this problem exists and have replaced many of these on our K bikes. If they don’t know, I would be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Prince

·
Bubonic
1,041 Posts
Took mine in for the recall work. When it returned, it leaked oil and every once in a bit, it whirrs and wont start. Didn't do any of this before the recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took mine in for the recall work. When it returned, it leaked oil and every once in a bit, it whirrs and wont start. Didn't do any of this before the recall.
Bike has 8000 KM. That’s the same issue the oil leak is related to the recall job but the bike not starting not be related I highly doubt it. They have the bike opened up and when they work on it causes this issue. The oil leak has happened to 20 bikes if not more and should be a part of the recall campaign.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bike has 8000 KM. That’s the same issue the oil leak is related to the recall job but the bike not starting not be related I highly doubt it. They have the bike opened up and when they work on it causes this issue. The oil leak has happened to 20 bikes if not more and should be a part of the recall campaign.
Don’t know where you are located, but have you considered another dealership for warranty work? I live nearly halfway between two dealerships about 1.5 hours either direction. I wouldn’t hesitate to go to another dealer. My dealership, Adventure BMW, has been absolutely amazing with the recall work and servicing every time it has been in. I have over 18,000 miles and would have over 24,000 if it wasn’t for this COVID chapter in our history.
Bottom line for me, I would never go back to a Harley. Life isn’t always fair or easy, but it is a gift and that is good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don’t know where you are located, but have you considered another dealership for warranty work? I live nearly halfway between two dealerships about 1.5 hours either direction. I wouldn’t hesitate to go to another dealer. My dealership, Adventure BMW, has been absolutely amazing with the recall work and servicing every time it has been in. I have over 18,000 miles and would have over 24,000 if it wasn’t for this COVID chapter in our history.
Bottom line for me, I would never go back to a Harley. Life isn’t always fair or easy, but it is a gift and that is good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Life is a beautiful gift. Unfortunately there is a monopoly for dealerships here. I live in Saudi Arabia and it’s one dealer all over the Kingdom. I have had a hard time since day one of getting the bike. Other dealer is in Bahrain but coz of the COVID borders are closed otherwise i would give them a shot. Problem is they keep using the COVID EXCUSE for everything.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,285 Posts
Can you bring to the Emirates, I know it is a long shot but at least they have decent techs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
After I had my Trans repair done... I also was told I had an oil leak... They ordered the cover plate and I am still waiting...sounds like they just need to add a new cover to the Trans recall.....

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Don’t know where you are located...
If you hover over a member's username in their post, it tells you where they are from if they entered it in their profile.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts