BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
At the time I looked at the OP’s profile, it wasn’t entered.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
They ordered the cover plate and I am still waiting...sounds like they just need to add a new cover to the Trans recall.....
The cover plate has been unavailable for some time and as of 4-5 weeks ago there was no date for when they will become available again which is why you’re still waiting. Due to this a number of us have had entire transmissions replaced to resolve the leak, so I suggest you escalate the issue with your dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmission recall service for my 2017 K16 was carried out in May, due to the COVID lockdown here in Melbourne we have been unable to go for a decent ride for a number of months (generally no-one can travel outside of a 5km or 3 mile radius from their home unless an essential worker). Recently I've started riding the K16 the short 4k's into work every few days and have just started to have the same problem as a few others with the starter motor not engaging. It will engage on the second try though. It is winter here and the short ride may not help but I'm now a little concerned, my bike has only travelled 19,000km (11,800 miles) in 3 years.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Got a 2017 K1600 GT TOOK IT IN FOR THE RECALL JOB OF THE TRANSMISSION AND FACED A OIL LEAK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BIKE WHICH I WAS TOLD HAPPENED TO ALOT OF BIKES AND THEY REPLACED SOME COVER. GOT THE BIKE TODAY WENT FOR A RIDE AND GOT TO THE STORE TO PICK UP STUFF BUT THE BIKE WONT START. COULD HEAR THE STARTER MAKE NOISE BUT WOULDNT START THE BIKE. ANY BODY FACED THE SAME PROBLEMS.
2018 GTL. After Transmission recall work oil leak from left side. Back to dealer for repair. It took them 3 weeks to get parts. Rode about 800 miles leak again from same place. Back with dealer last two weeks. Parts back ordered. God knows when I will get it back.
Wrote letter to BMW stating since 2019 bike is down for recall and defects after recall work. I asked for extension of warranty and copied NTSB.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The transmission recall service for my 2017 K16 was carried out in May, due to the COVID lockdown here in Melbourne we have been unable to go for a decent ride for a number of months (generally no-one can travel outside of a 5km or 3 mile radius from their home unless an essential worker). Recently I've started riding the K16 the short 4k's into work every few days and have just started to have the same problem as a few others with the starter motor not engaging. It will engage on the second try though. It is winter here and the short ride may not help but I'm now a little concerned, my bike has only travelled 19,000km (11,800 miles) in 3 years.
You have a bad starter clutch. I recently had the same problem and it was replaced under warranty. Hopefully, your warranty is still active. It's not a cheap fix.

2018 GTL. After Transmission recall work oil leak from left side. Back to dealer for repair. It took them 3 weeks to get parts. Rode about 800 miles leak again from same place. Back with dealer last two weeks. Parts back ordered. God knows when I will get it back.
Wrote letter to BMW stating since 2019 bike is down for recall and defects after recall work. I asked for extension of warranty and copied NTSB.
Good luck on an extension. When I asked for the same, BMW said "we don't do that". Maybe you'll be more persuasive.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts