BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW K1600 GTL (K61) 2017, R1100 RT 1997, R1200 GS (2014)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about reliability issues with my baby and never see them!!!! is it just me being lucky or is the talk just that.... GREEN ENVY?

I think that if you look after her she will look after you!! am I right?

Would love to hear your thoughts please?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
Coils and over heating continue to be a problem for some. Early on, handlebar switches and water pumps were an issue but for the most part both have been resolved.

Duane

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coils and over heating continue to be a problem for some. Early on, handlebar switches and water pumps were an issue but for the most part both have been resolved.

Duane
Thats what I thought too..... but everyone keeps say oooooohhhhh wait and see

·
Registered
452 Posts
could and bearing WILL fail. Just a matter of when. If you think 50k miles is fair - then no worries. Some suffer much earlier failures. The coils are a pita

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could and bearing WILL fail. Just a matter of when. If you think 50k miles is fair - then no worries. Some suffer much earlier failures. The coils are a pita
Potentially yep... but I bought the bike knowing this and accept that to own this beautiful she will need some up keeping!!! regardless of what hap[pens I have never worried about owning her...... she is what I needed and she delivers .... so I say to the guys who are doom mongers.... nothing lasts for ever... sometimes you need to dole out some TLC to get back to the good times!!

Remember what they say.... The only good day was yesterday...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude.... nothing lasts for ever and dependent upon riding conditions and how heavy you are with the right hand.... things wear out or stress a little... Duane is telling the truth... Coils will eventually burn out and need to be replaced.... but hey!! thats what a home garage is for!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is a 'motor vehicle' after all. It will require maintenance and attention. Probably no more or less on average than any competitive vehicle. As stated, be prepared to self-maintain in your home garage or be prepared to pay the dealer or other service provider. If you go into the purchase decision know and accepting this, it will be a fine experience.

Reactions: Navy_Slug

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is another thread with my issues -17+ . Up until 20k (Kms), flawless. After that, all **** broke loose (gearbox recall, satnav failures, quick shift failure, ECU replacement, front shock failure). Bike has only 26k (kms) on the odometer and has been ridden almost daily, but babied (top dealers servicing, proper cleanup, mature rider etc.).

It puts me in a dire dilemma: it's the best bike on the market, for me. Japs don't work for my ergonomics, except the Goldwing, I don't do cruisers or cafe racers or sport bikes, I'm not crazy about enduro-tourers ( I've had a couple of GSAs), I'm in the market for a comfortable, well-protected tourer / sport-tourer. The k16 sits in a class of it's own, and the s1000xr or the r1250s I've ridden, don't really connect with me (even after being a boxer guy for 15 years). But I'm really scared of keeping the bike past the warranty expiration date ...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell us what reliability issues you've been hearing about.
No one actually ever says!!! this is the issue.... I think its ignorance that they say that the K1600 is heavy on the wallet..... I have had mine from 2017 and she is stunning every day... yes maintain a lot.. but I did with my R1100RT, my S1000 rr and my R1200 GS..... I love to tinker with them and enjoy the maintenance parts

SO I think I will ignore the youtubers who say it gonna fail all the time and cost both arms and legs to pay for the repair bill.... I think she is great value for money and wouldn't ever have another brand again!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is another thread with my issues -17+ . Up until 20k (Kms), flawless. After that, all **** broke loose (gearbox recall, satnav failures, quick shift failure, ECU replacement, front shock failure). Bike has only 26k (kms) on the odometer and has been ridden almost daily, but babied (top dealers servicing, proper cleanup, mature rider etc.).
Wow... sounds like you have been unlucky dude... is she sorted now? What did your dealer say?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow... sounds like you have been unlucky dude... is she sorted now? What did your dealer say?
The bike is currently sorted. But I am really not ready for it to start acting up, again. I didn't have time to put more than a few hundred kms on it since the last dealer intervention - the font shock replacement.
My bike has seen dealers in the UK and in Romania. BMW national HQs have said "this is not normal", some BMW dealers have said "well, this is an expensive, somewhat exotic, low volume production bike, what did you expect ? " . It's hard for me, given these mixed messages, and the wave of BMW recalls, to make sense of it all.
I have no idea what to expect next, and I'm afraid I won't afford to keep my gorgeous 6 cylinder bike, with this kind of reliability issues. I have time until November, when the extended warranty runs out, to make a decision - and also see what the riding season brings, in terms of bike gremlins.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike is currently sorted. But I am really not ready for it to start acting up, again. I didn't have time to put more than a few hundred kms on it since the last dealer intervention - the font shock replacement.
My bike has seen dealers in the UK and in Romania. BMW national HQs have said "this is not normal", some BMW dealers have said "well, this is an expensive, somewhat exotic, low volume production bike, what did you expect ? " . It's hard for me, given these mixed messages, and the wave of BMW recalls, to make sense of it all.
I have no idea what to expect next, and I'm afraid I won't afford to keep my gorgeous 6 cylinder bike, with this kind of reliability issues. I have time until November, when the extended warranty runs out, to make a decision - and also see what the riding season brings, in terms of bike gremlins.
some of the comments from your dealers is not helpful... I know many K1600 riders who ridden them over 100k kms without much issue. I ride a lot with the Bavarian Police and have great ride out with my friends from there and they have no worries about the bike..... I intend to keep mine for ever!!!!! I cannot think of ever not keeping her.. I wanted her and am not afraid of what might happen.... its a vehicle and requires maintenance..... I think you have just been unlucky!

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
Whoever brought up the bearings is a good point. There isn't a maintenance interval for changing the front bearings. I'd STRONGLY recommend changing them every 40,000 miles.

Duane

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoever brought up the bearings is a good point. There isn't a maintenance interval for changing the front bearings. I'd STRONGLY recommend changing them every 40,000 miles.

Duane
I would strongly agree with that.. pre- maintenance work instead of repair work!!

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
I had 2 bikes with overheating issues both were caused by dealers not checking there work. Whenever you get the bike serviced check the coolant level when you get home and add if necessary.

Reactions: Navy_Slug

·
Registered
2018 k1600 gtl
28 Posts
I'm hoping mine treats me right. Don't get me wrong i enjoy tinkering, I used to be a mechanic at a rental equipment shop, but a bike this new I hope doesn't need much beyond normal maintenance. I just got a 2018 gtl with 23k miles on it in dec. It was owned by a retired couple and had all service done on schedule by a dealer. I was able to put 8 miles on it when it was delivered. Since then it puked the front shock oil onto my garage floor. Its nice there is still a warranty but I hope its not a sign of things to come.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts