BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wanted to take the left side gas tank Tupperware off in order to run some wiring up front for aux lights, tank bag power. and GPS power. I wasn't able to find much info on this but I did find a YouTube of someone removing it to install some aux lights and was able to figure it out from that.

I didn't take pictures when removing it but I did take pictures when I put it back on so follow these instructions backwards to take the Tupperware off.

"Main" colored side panel:

Gray panel on top of colored panel:

Front piece (the airflow wing needs to be swung out to access this screw)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Helpful thank you sir.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes it is....was looking for this around 7:45a this morning! Stumbled through things myself. Now I can print this out for future issues!

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is an older thread that shows how to remove the tank panels, but it links to another site and its old and inactive now. This is a great start. Maybe when someone dives even deeper (such as to replace the air filter), they can take photos and do a pictorial such as this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If someone does this please post. Cant find any video or photos of 2018 GT model. I have had it all off with the exception of the two painted panels that are on either side of the center panel with fuel cap. Can get it lose but won’t come out. Thinking it held on by rubber grommet at front. Afraid to put to much pressure as I am not sure direction to pull and dont want to break it. I will need to get these eventually off to change air filter.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you have the electronic service manual, there are diagrams for taking everything off. I picked one up off eBay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the inf. I have a hard copy, the readers digest version of the shop manual, has good information but doesn’t explain this process in detail. I will have to get the electronic version also. Do you remember who the seller was? Want to make sure getting a proper version.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought it from this guy: fornicoz on eBay

He doesn't seem to have any 2017+s in stock at the moment, but give him a few days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If someone does this please post. Cant find any video or photos of 2018 GT model. I have had it all off with the exception of the two painted panels that are on either side of the center panel with fuel cap. Can get it lose but won’t come out. Thinking it held on by rubber grommet at front. Afraid to put to much pressure as I am not sure direction to pull and dont want to break it. I will need to get these eventually off to change air filter.
As you have seen, the front of the painted piece has a two-prong nose on it. This prong slides over a round rubber grommet located at the front attachment point (when I first took my panels apart...used bike...the prongs were not inserted on the grommet at all). Slide the prongs over the grommet first, then insert the remaining screws.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the input. Still looking for an electronic version of the service manual. Hope to find one and get that ordered soon. In the mean time I know now I was really close, all I needed to remove was the two prong nose which attaches over a grommet. Does the panel slide towards the rear of the bike or more in an an upward direction? Thinking to the rear but I just want to confirm before I start putting some pressure on it.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Still looking for an electronic version of the service manual.
As am I. My Google-foo has not worked well for finding one for a 2018 GTL.

:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts