BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me please how to disconnect the power socket?

I had guessed that it just unclips but, besides being awkward to get at, I just can’t seem to separate it from the socket itself.

Many thanks.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It latches onto the socket. You need to squeeze the sides of the plug to release the latch and it will pull off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

That is just what I have been trying to do.

it is so deep down in the recess, that it is very difficult to get my fingers down to it. I have tried with some long nose pliers, still with no joy.

I get the strange feeling it should be really simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I need three hands, all very small or much longer fingers.

I now get the feeling that I must be squeezing on the latch wrongly. Nothing in the world should be this fiddly. The connector seems absolutely stuck fast, which it can’t be.

All I wanted to do was pick up a live switched feed, to trigger a relay. A ten minute job or at least it should have been.

As I have never found a use for the under seat socket (a thing so useless that BMW didn’t even mention it when I picked up my first 1600 in 2011, nor did they bother to mention it in the owner’s handbook) I thought I might as well get some use out of the live feed, if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
It is a major PITA to remove. I broke both tabs off as I was more afraid of damaging the seat heater side of the connection when it suddenly came loose. Now it it is just push it in til it stops. Simply pull it out to unplugg.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I couldn't get mine off either. Finally broke the connectors off with pliers and was finally able to separate it. It's still pretty tight without them.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,844 Posts
Is there enough slack on the wire to back that nut right off and push the assembly out where you'll have better access to the connector?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Is there enough slack on the wire to back that nut right off and push the assembly out where you'll have better access to the connector?
I had thought of that but, unfortunately there is not enough slack in the cable.

It’s a large nut, too. I guess 32 or 34 mm. Whilst I have a ring spanner up to those sizes, I don’t have an open ended spanner that large, whilst my adjustable wrench was the wrong shape to grip the nut properly. I can get my water pump pliers onto the nut but (due to the limited length of the leads into the socket) removing it serves no purpose.

PS I am not too keen on snapping away any parts. The plug should be relatively easy to separate away, without breaking bits off. I am sure I am doing something wrong but, as it’s only a simple assembly, I cannot for the life of me see what.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts