BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600GT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of Remus Black Hawk slip-ons, and am looking for guidance on which version others are using. I've watched/listened to videos, and have read many comments on the forum but have not seen any mention of std vs racing. I want to be considerate of my neighbors - especially since i'm typically warming the bike up and leaving the house between 04:00-05:00 - so preference is stealth at low RPM's, and screaming like a banshee when i open it up.

On the off chance you're as surprised as I was that there are two versions here's the SKU for each (7th digit is unique):

Black Hawk: 0564782 089917LR
Black Hawk Racing 0564783 089917LR

Would appreciate hearing what you have, and especially interested to hear of any of you have experience with both versions.

david...

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
What do you think you'll get from replacing the exhaust and what are your expectations?

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600GT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair question.

Same thing that drove me to modify the exhaust on my 67 GTO when I was in my 20's - a low rumble when cruising, and gnarly sound under hard acceleration. Also like the look of the flat black cans over stock. No illusions of gaining any performance improvement.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
I found this, hope it helps you relive your 20's.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I wasn't aware there was more than one choice for the blacked-out Remus cans. I assume mine are the non-racing version. That said, with the baffles out, I love the snarl they make versus the stock cans and like the look, as well. I get compliments on their wail on a regular basis. Best of luck on your decision, whichever way you go.

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I get compliments on their wail on a regular basis.
Yeah, I followed Russ around one Saturday and I was a little jealous. For the most part I'm satisfied with stock. But...I kind of wished I had pair to swap out when my inner younger-self wanted to play around on weekends here and there

Speaking of which...when are we gonna share a road sometime again?? Are you still a bit tied up on the weekends? I'm adding an enclosed deck to the back of the house, so I'm pretty darn busy. But I'd swing down your way for an early morning to noon ride sometime. Or stop by if you ever come to town for something other than work. We'll grab some grub in Martin City.

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600GT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the feedback. My hope is that someone has a receipt buried somewhere with a SKU. RemusUSA and Pirates Lair both have only one option listed, and it’s the racing version so thinking that’s the version all ya’ll have. I know many you purchased from Patrick so assumption is that have racing version. Confident one of my lines of investigation bear fruit.

David…

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Speaking of which...when are we gonna share a road sometime again?? Are you still a bit tied up on the weekends? I'm adding an enclosed deck to the back of the house, so I'm pretty darn busy. But I'd swing down your way for an early morning to noon ride sometime. Or stop by if you ever come to town for something other than work. We'll grab some grub in Martin City.
Hey, James. I'm buried with work right now (a good thing after the year that was 2020). That said, yes, we need to get together sometime in the next month or two.

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. My hope is that someone has a receipt buried somewhere with a SKU. RemusUSA and Pirates Lair both have only one option listed, and it’s the racing version so thinking that’s the version all ya’ll have. I know many you purchased from Patrick so assumption is that have racing version. Confident one of my lines of investigation bear fruit.

David…
Okay, you made me dig to see which black-out version of the Remus cans I have. Based on the SKUs you've listed, it looks like mine are the non-racing version. I wonder, what's the difference between the two?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I think the difference is the Black Hawk cans I bought had the insert spot welded in three places so they were non-removable. I took a hole saw and removed them .................. I like the sound now :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600GT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what I pulled from the EU site. Removable Inserts in the racing version could mean the baffles aren't tack welded in. just a hunch.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Here's what I pulled from the EU site. Removable Inserts in the racing version could mean the baffles aren't tack welded in. just a hunch.

View attachment 153430
As @svfiat points out, the spot welds are no big deal and easily broken for removal of the baffles. That said, if you can get the cans without welds for the same price, I suggest going that route.

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600GT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just had a revelation. I've listened to videos with the baffle removed, and while louder than with the baffle in not obnoxiously so. Even if the racing version is a bit louder than standard I have a hard time believing with baffle in it's louder than standard w. baffle out. Decision made. appreciate all the inputs.

david...

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Just had a revelation. I've listened to videos with the baffle removed, and while louder than with the baffle in not obnoxiously so. Even if the racing version is a bit louder than standard I have a hard time believing with baffle in it's louder than standard w. baffle out. Decision made. appreciate all the inputs.

david...
With the baffle in it's just a tad louder than a stock muffler. With the baffle out it's just a tad louder than that. When I show up at places where I meet people they don't even hear me coming into the parking lot. Only time there's any aggressive noise is WOT and it's a nice low toned growl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts