BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 836 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anybody outhere who found a good speakers replacement for the cheap original one. I remove the grill to see why everyone is complaining about the sound that is not good and loud enough at high speed. As you can see in the pictures, there are pretty cheap ones, the magnet is so little. For the money they ask for the audio system it should be much much better than this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I wish they would offer a speaker delete kit and turn it into storage compartments. I choose not to bother others with my exquisite taste in HairNation music and chose to invest in an autocom system.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I replaced mine with Alpine 4" Type-S Coaxial Car Speakers (SPS410).

They have plastic tabs that can be broken off for the three point anchor points on our bikes.
Much better sound quality than stock but don't expect too much from 4" speakers.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced mine with Alpine 4" Type-S Coaxial Car Speakers (SPS410).

They have plastic tabs that can be broken off for the three point anchor points on our bikes.
Much better sound quality than stock but don't expect too much from 4" speakers.
But they are not really water proof speakers, it look like there are no water going on the speaker !

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
But they are not really water proof speakers, it look like there are no water going on the speaker !
You're right, they are not sold as "marine" speakers but the cone and suspension is poly of some sort which looks to be fully water proof.

I'll see how long they last.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Have you had them in the rain?? If so how did they hold up?? I really want to do something to improve the sound quality from the OEM setup.... Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Not been in the rain yet but I think they will stand up ok.
Have a look at the link, there's a lot of marine speakers that are waterproof.
Rock The Boat 4 Inch Round Marine Speakers

I will keep track of how the alpine speakers do and maybe invest in marine ones if they can't stand the moisture.

Maybe, if I feel ambitious next weekend, I will remove the speaker grill and spray some water on the face to see how much water if any goes through, I remember seeing a second layer behind the metal grill.

I am not too concerned about trashing the new speakers as they are built to be installed in vehicles and are often subjected to less than ideal conditions.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Thanks for the reply!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm going to see which Focal speakers that will fit in there. For once, something seems to be cheaper in norway than in the USA. I spoke to a local car stereo builder, and he agreed on those Alpine speakers, but assured me that there are Focal ones which are way better, an not too expensive. He just visited Sena, and reports that there was very much focus on mc stereo siund..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
What model of focal's are you looking at???

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Great let me know how you make out with this, I am really looking to make an upgrade too... Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
After dismantle the speaker, I decide to start my project by changing the way it sound. Since the speaker box is in plastic and no isolation, we loose a lot of sound behind the speaker. I will install some membrane to insulate and make the box more rigid so I can have all the sound in front...

After I will have to choose new speakers, the more db sensitivity is better. It's easier for the amp to drive the speaker.

And if it's still not enough, I found an amplifier from alpine of 45watts rms wich is much higher than the original one.

And I don't think there are any water that can go on the speakers, there's a water proof membrane underneat the grill...

1 - 20 of 836 Posts