BMW K1600 Forum banner

821 - 836 of 836 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
Had to change my left speaker due to a dammage in the membrane :( . I went with the marine grade from Polk audio db5252 5"1/4 - 100W, well built and the sound is very clean and enough powerful, and the price is very low.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
Do you have an amp? I installed an amp and it killed my alpines.
Yes I have an amp, from Rockford fosgate TM400x2ad. My speakers are 5 1/4 so they can handle 100w, all the 4inch handle 50w so you have to adjust very carefully the output of the amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with Polk db and definitely sounds better without an amp but now looking to maybe add amp for little more push. I slapped some dynamat inside the enclosure as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No modification needed to the dash. But that’s the biggest speaker that can be put there without modif.
that sounds like a great upgrade to the speakers. No pun intended, but in all do respect, from what little I can see in your thumbnail, it looks like you did some kind of "mod". Is that epoxy I see between the speakers? Please elaborate. :confused:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
An H-D rider pulled up to the pump across from me.

As he dismounted, I said "Wow. Not only do have to listen to your crappy bike, I have to listen to your crappy music as well?"

He said "Huh?"

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
Where did you put the crossovers and how much cutting did you have to do.
I did not use the crossover that came with the speakers because it take too much space and eat the same power has the speakers. I did check the frequency and calculate what capacitor was needed it to cut the low frequencies, so I use only one capacitor and it’s doing the job.

Well I remove some of the plastic from the front cover with a dremel, after I did use some silicone to seal the case of the speakers to the plastic box. When I’m saying no modification, it’s because I don’t need to change anything to the exterior panel of the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had to change my left speaker due to a dammage in the membrane :( . I went with the marine grade from Polk audio db5252 5"1/4 - 100W, well built and the sound is very clean and enough powerful, and the price is very low.
I can't get "Insane in the membrane" out of my head now.... :yeah:

Scott

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
For a bike of this expense and quality in all other respects, the speakers and bluetooth connections should be FLAWLESS. Work-around should not be required for a bike of this stature. Motorcycling is motorcycling, and the GTL is still virtually flawless in this regard, but creature comforts in terms of connectivity need to updated in a major way!

·
Registered
298 Posts
For a bike of this expense and quality in all other respects, the speakers and bluetooth connections should be FLAWLESS. Work-around should not be required for a bike of this stature. Motorcycling is motorcycling, and the GTL is still virtually flawless in this regard, but creature comforts in terms of connectivity need to updated in a major way!
100% agree!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did not use the crossover that came with the speakers because it take too much space and eat the same power has the speakers. I did check the frequency and calculate what capacitor was needed it to cut the low frequencies, so I use only one capacitor and it’s doing the job.

Well I remove some of the plastic from the front cover with a dremel, after I did use some silicone to seal the case of the speakers to the plastic box. When I’m saying no modification, it’s because I don’t need to change anything to the exterior panel of the bike.
What capacitor did you end up going with?

821 - 836 of 836 Posts