BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a GS911 for reseting my service light and like to help others with theirs as well. The cost of the unlimited GS911 was too much so I looked for other options. What I now use is a BMW ICOM D Module Cable 10pin OBD adapter for BMW Motorcycles, a OBDLink MX Bluetooth scan tool, and the MotoScan Professional app. Using these tools is not a "hack" or downloads from torrent sites. All legit and works flawlessly.

Adapter cable from Amazon is $20

OBDLink scan tool from Amazon is $79.95

MotoScan Professional from the Google Play store is $27.99

I think it is easier to use then the GS911. I change my oil at 5000 miles and needed to convert to kilometers for the reset. With the MotoScan it uses miles. Just enter 5000 and hit reset. It also does not require a computer. I installed it on my phone and Android tablet.

Try the free version of MotoScan to get a feel for it. Several words are in German but it is easy to understand. You will need an upgrade to the professional version to reset the service light.

This works for many of the BMW bikes, not just the K1600!

There are many cables and OBD scan tools that will work. They recommend an ELM327 diagnostic adapter, one that is not an overseas knock-off. My purchases are biased to using Amazon Prime. The OBD scan tool can be used for your car as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the Torque application on my Samsung S7 device. Use it with a bluetooth ODBII adapter.

I wonder if I ordered just the cable, if this would work for me.

I ordered a GS911 a few months ago, I would be very upset if this did work.

Anyone else out there get this to work with the Torque application?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wow; this looks awesome.

I see an Ultimate version on their website which adds "Service Functions" and "Device Control" to the Pro version. Looks like testing done in 2015, product released in 2016.

MotoScan | Professionelle BMW Motorrad Diagnose App

Windows and Android... yeah, don't see Apple mentioned anywhere.

I think this is very different from the Torque app; much more specific to BMW.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Wow; this looks awesome.

I see an Ultimate version on their website which adds "Service Functions" and "Device Control" to the Pro version. Looks like testing done in 2015, product released in 2016.

MotoScan | Professionelle BMW Motorrad Diagnose App

Windows and Android... yeah, don't see Apple mentioned anywhere.

I think this is very different from the Torque app; much more specific to BMW.
Looks promissing!
The adapter (WiFi or BT), the cable and the "ultimate" version of the app total about 180 euro's which is a lot cheaper than the GS911.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I tried this also, but I could not get MotoScan to get a read out on my Samsung S7

What OBD scan tool are you using? If it is the OBDLink like I used it needs to have the firmware updated. Under settings within the OBDLink app there is an option for updating. It is automated. Do not update when connected to the bike, connect the scan tool to a car.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I own a GS911 for reseting my service light and like to help others with theirs as well. The cost of the unlimited GS911 was too much so I looked for other options. What I now use is a BMW ICOM D Module Cable 10pin OBD adapter for BMW Motorcycles, a OBDLink MX Bluetooth scan tool, and the MotoScan Professional app. Using these tools is not a "hack" or downloads from torrent sites. All legit and works flawlessly.

Adapter cable from Amazon is $20

OBDLink scan tool from Amazon is $79.95

MotoScan Professional from the Google Play store is $27.99

I think it is easier to use then the GS911. I change . . . . ..

KURT404
This is a very interesting find, I wanted to ask if with this you can run diagnostics or if it is only for reseting the service light.
Thanks,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KURT404
This is a very interesting find, I wanted to ask if with this you can run diagnostics or if it is only for reseting the service light.
Thanks,

Yes, it does all similar to the GS911. Go to their site for specifics on each bike. This is for the K1600: Unterstützte BMW Motorräder | MotoScan

If the web page is not in english, click your right mouse button and select "translate to english"

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Yes, it does all similar to the GS911. Go to their site for specifics on each bike. This is for the K1600: Unterstützte BMW Motorräder | MotoScan

If the web page is not in english, click your right mouse button and select "translate to english"
Looked through that - thanks for posting it.

I wasn't able to see though whether it would do things like the windshield calibration to reset the limits and restore full travel when the bike "forgets." Will it perform a windshield calibration?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looked through that - thanks for posting it.

I wasn't able to see though whether it would do things like the windshield calibration to reset the limits and restore full travel when the bike "forgets." Will it perform a windshield calibration?
I think I saw that and the TPMS learn capability as well for the Ultimate version of the app.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, thanks. Just wondering, have you used it on your cars? (I'd geek out there too...)
Yes, I have used the OBD scan tool on a car. That is what I recommend for the first time using it to update the firmware using the OBDLink app. The Motoscan app is only good for BMW motorcycles but the OBDLink scan tool has it's own app that is included for cars. I am not sure if it can do air bag, anti-lock brakes, and a couple other areas that the bulk of the cheaper scan tool apps don't offer but hope to play with it more this weekend. I own many other car specific readers and scanners for that purpose. Your not too far from me and are welcome to try it out our use it anytime.

·
Sparky
305 Posts
Kurt,
Here is a current chart of the functionality of the GS-911. I thought maybe you could use this for comparison to what the GS-911 vs the OBD scan tool can do if possible. I already have the GS-911 and am satisfied but like others wish it wasn't quit so expensive. I understand it takes a lot of time to develop products like this and a return on that investment could take a long time. As always just trying to advance knowledge and options for the owners here. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kurt,
Here is a current chart of the functionality of the GS-911. I thought maybe you could use this for comparison to what the GS-911 vs the OBD scan tool can do if possible. I already have the GS-911 and am satisfied but like others wish it wasn't quit so expensive. I understand it takes a lot of time to develop products like this and a return on that investment could take a long time. As always just trying to advance knowledge and options for the owners here. Thanks.
I will try to get to that in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts

Kurt,
Jack - If you check the link in Kurt's quote above and scroll down a couple charts to the K1600, it looks like it addresses each of the areas in similar terms as broken down in the GS-911 chart. There's also some info here in the comparison of the different app versions; link here: MotoScan | Professionelle BMW Motorrad Diagnose App

Depending on what the weekend here holds (may decide to depart town), I may be able to verify if this works or not. Amazon Prime will have the required pieces to my door on Friday (incl a cheap Android tablet), then I'll just need the time to check it all out. I'm planning to use the Ultimate version of the App.
:cheers:

Edit to add: if your browser doesn't ask you to translate the MotoScan website, you can try Chrome - it detected the German and asked me if I wanted it to translate it to English.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
What OBD scan tool are you using? If it is the OBDLink like I used it needs to have the firmware updated. Under settings within the OBDLink app there is an option for updating. It is automated. Do not update when connected to the bike, connect the scan tool to a car.[/QUOTE Hey thanks check and it had 3.4.1 updated to 4.2.3. I will give it a try on Saturday and update you.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.