BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Do you think it would be technically possible to install a new 2022 TFT screen on older models (2019-2021 models for example). Wondering about respecting original mileage information as well.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,947 Posts
In simple terms no. You would need the cooperation of BMW to develop a software, offer a retrofit kit which includes mechanical and electronic parts,and likely in some countries a re-certification.
Not going to happen and apart from that, prohibitively expensive. The transfer of the mileage reading would be your smallest problem.

BTW Welcome to the forum

·
3,947 Posts
... and unlike the common mislabeling and perception: both dashes are TFT! :rolleyes:

Tom
yes true, but only a tiny little bit of the old model panel.............

·
Registered
744 Posts
yes true, but only a tiny little bit of the old model panel.............
As an old pilot, I realize my instrument scan isn't what it used to be. I have to know where instrument information is, not look for it. I spent months looking for a leftover 2020 RT primarily for the older panel (as well as dedicated GPS) because I already KNEW where everything I needed was.

That said I certainly understand why some young pilots might want an iPad mini-mini for their dash. :)

Tom

·
3,947 Posts
I am an analog panel guy myself, but I have to say the all TFT panel on my Triumph is well designed and the GUI is intuitive. I simply don't like the lack of integration into the 'dashboard' on the new K1600 models. Something blended in like on a Goldwing would have been great, but the bean counters with their parts bin concept got into the game.

Reactions: TPadden

·
Registered
744 Posts
The newest display is transflective. It's much improved over the older transmissive ones. 🙄
I compared new and old TFT screens in direct sunlight at the dealer, maybe you can see some " improvement" in the new TFT panel's visibility or readability: I sure couldn't. :cool:

Maybe it's all about presentation, I've seen plenty of complaints about the improved tablet panel on the RT forums, not so on the GS forums...:)

Tom

·
Registered
939 Posts
I compared TFT screens in direct sunlight at the dealer, maybe you can see some " improvement" in the new TFT panel visibility or readability: I sure couldn't. :cool:

Tom
I have been using it for about 9 months and have had no issues with sunlight. I never had an issue with analogue gauges either, but I did have issues with my Sat Nav on my K16's and RT's particularly when the sun was behind me.

No such problems with the TFT

·
Registered
939 Posts
I guess now you have to differentiate between new and old TFT. I'm pretty sure the Garmin screens are LCD. Other than GPS, ever have sun problems with old TFT? My 2RT's and K1600B never have.
As I have said, no problems so far with clarity on the 10.25 TFT. I do have other issues with it, e.g. the gear indicator that can be in four different places as well as the lack of a fuel gauge, temp gauge etc. What they call the "Pure Ride" screen is dominated by the tachometer, which is pretty but who rides a touring bike like a race bike?

All being well they will develop new screen options and allow us to change more things on it. For example, the S1000RR has a track day screen on its 6.5 inch TFT.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the TFT dash on my 2020 GSA and it's far superior than any analog gauge I've had on any bike I've owned. The BMW TFT dash is user friendly and there's a wealth of information right at your finger tips with a twist of the wonder wheel. I think for some retro style bikes a regular analog dash works well but I absolutely prefer TFT over analog any day.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have been using it for about 9 months and have had no issues with sunlight.

No such problems with the TFT
With you living in Ireland, sunlight isn't an issue for you in general. :)

Test these things out in the USA Southwest. That will give you the final answer of what works as far as sunlight visibility, and what doesn't.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Test these things out in the USA Southwest. That will give you the final answer of what works as far as sunlight visibility, and what doesn't.
I've ridden my 2020 GSA all over the US including Arizona, Montana, Oregon, Idaho and S Dakota and 99% of the time I've never had an issue seeing the TFT dash.in any lighting conditions.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've ridden my 2020 GSA all over the US including Arizona, Montana, Oregon, Idaho and S Dakota and 99% of the time I've never had an issue seeing the TFT dash.in any lighting conditions.
Great! My point was that it’s harder to give that perspective living in Ireland. If your experience in continuous Western US sun proves the lighting point, so be it.

·
Registered
939 Posts

Ha Ha, FYI John, the sun does shine in Ireland :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you pop over to the RT forums the guys there who live in the "Land of the free" will give you their opinion on sunlight and the new TFT.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I live in FL aka the Sunshine state and have no issues seeing the digital dash.
The digital dash would be a worthwhile improvement to the K1600 my 2 cents.

Reactions: DavidMcK
1 - 20 of 22 Posts