BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the owner of a GTL manufacture date 07/2017.
I purchased it with 7000km on the clock with the gear recall completed.
recently the reverse gear stopped working.
it flashes orange 3 times before returning to Neutral.
Position / angle of the bike makes no difference.
ive searched some threads here but found no answers.
So far my mechanic tells me the computer module that handles this will cost around $800 to replace, and that all the mechanicals are operational.
anyone have any thoughts please?

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
So far my mechanic tells me the computer module that handles this will cost around $800 to replace, and that all the mechanicals are operational.
I had the same on my mexican 2017 K. Interestingly it happened just a few weeks after the gear box recall but came down to the component you're talking about. I posted the part number here at the time.

Anyway the end result was my dealer said they would try and get as a warranty repair because of the recall work and I said I would pay if they couldn't. The dealer won the day and it cost me nothing.

You could try and find out the mileage when the recall was fixed and see if you can get similar success.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Many with reverser problems found the gearbox recall work created the issue, as Tim says - it may be worth ascertaining the recall time-line with yours.

Here is a diagram of the system........... BMW K 1600 GT, reverse gear (10/2016)

Not the most elegant solution most will agree, so from the control module, right the way through the starter, the drive cable, worm drive & interlock servo mechanism, there are a whole host of things that may be conspiring to produce denial of engagement. You need to be certain of the diagnosis before even considering throwing dollars at the problem.

Is reverse an essential 'must have' feature that you use regularly, or just nice to have as a means of getting out of a tight spot? Your decision obvs.

There are many threads recounting the flashing R stories, both on here & other forums - either use search here or try Google for the full range.

·
Registered
962 Posts
FWIW, there's a thread on here somewhere regarding failure of the control module where the poster found that the part is identical to that used on a MINI and that the purchase price of the MINI part was roughly 50% of that charged by a BMW Motorrad dealer. If it is that control module that's failed, It would be worth a search to find it.

Edit: Found the post:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts