BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Rich's custom seat on their K1600? I've read several good reviews on other forums but can't recall reading one from a K1600 rider. I can get an appointment next week with Rich to get a seat built while I'm in WA on business. A long way to go for a a custom seat but a good excuse to ride rather then airline hassle and rental car. Besides, I always enjoying riding in the NW. I would appreciate any insight into Rich's. Thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Anyone have a Rich's custom seat on their K1600? I've read several good reviews on other forums but can't recall reading one from a K1600 rider. I can get an appointment next week with Rich to get a seat built while I'm in WA on business. A long way to go for a a custom seat but a good excuse to ride rather then airline hassle and rental car. Besides, I always enjoying riding in the NW. I would appreciate any insight into Rich's. Thanks.
My brother (RAL4), has a Rich's on his GTL, and loves it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I live close to them and their reputation is great. Plan on spending some time as they will work on the seat and then have you test ride it, etc. When the money comes in so fast it is a problem I will have one on my k1600

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great seat

I had Rich's rebuild my seat a year ago.It was the best money I have ever spent on a motorcycle accessory.

Plan on spending a full day there getting it done.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Doug, I have a Rich's custom seat on a K1600. 30,000 miles so far and my rear end has NEVER been sore or even an issue. Rides over 1000 miles per day included. I just returned yesterday from a 5000 mile ride 2-up all the way and my rider was happy comfortable the whole time.

Rich moved my seating position several inches rearward to accommodate my (6'4" 240 lbs) 36/38 inseam knee angle and the seat height is about 33". The whole seat is recovered with black leather. Seat heat front and rear works normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rich's seat

Hello,
I have had a Rich's seat on my 1200GS, 1200RT and it was the first thing I bought for my 1600GT.
I concur with the statements above. Absolutely phenomenal product and will make long saddle days a breeze. My rear end never hurts at the end of the day and the custom build to your body makes it a must have accessory IMHO.
Do plan on spending the day as it takes time but is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Hi,
I have a rich's seat on my K1600GT.
So far I love it. I had the seat done in nice leather with color matching thread To match the shakir orange.
Also had the passenger back pad on the top case done to match the seat.
It's a very comfortable bike now. My wife and I can ride a lot longer in comfort now.
Best to take your wife with you and have her seat fitted to her if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi,
I have a rich's seat on my K1600GT.
So far I love it. I had the seat done in nice leather with color matching thread To match the shakir orange.
Also had the passenger back pad on the top case done to match the seat.
It's a very comfortable bike now. My wife and I can ride a lot longer in comfort now.
Best to take your wife with you and have her seat fitted to her if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. 8 hour days are fine for the wife with this seat. I mentioned a different motorcycle recently and she was panicked that her seat would be different. Just a comment no need to panic.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
he's built a couple for me. The one for the RT was a week old and then I took off on a USA Four Corners Tour and did 8000 miles in 15 days.

I think my sakhir orange GT is on his web site

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
All these Rich's seat owners yet not one picture of a Rich's seat?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Seats by Rich's

Had a not so pleasant experience with Rich's. Spent a full day initially yet was told it would take approximately 3-4 hours. Then was informed that the "break in" period would be approximately 1K miles. He did not recommend a cover for the Western WA wetness which surprised me.
During the build process it appears as though carpet foam is used to glue to your existing seat foam. If requested your own heaters can be transferred, for a fee. Although I did take a test ride I explained that the positioning was too far forward and I felt as if I was sliding forward to the tank as well. Upon the cover going on, which was leather, I still felt too low and sliding forward. Again I was informed, " it will take a little bit to break in ".
Meanwhile over 2K miles later still sliding forward and hot spots on 200 miles rides I called and explained the situation. Made an adjustment appointment and rode back up to their shop and arrived first thing when the doors open. The adjustment, I was told should only be a couple of hours, happened and I sort of figured that I could/should do a test ride prior to the cover being put back on but no. So once again I am told, " give it another 300-500 miles and it should be good ". Okay. Still hot spots, and sliding forward.
I rode for quite sometime with the seat trying to make yet another trip, check with Rocky, or RDL. Giving Rich's the benefit of the doubt I made another appointment and returned. I explained how I had ridden, what I was using to condition the saddle, etc. This adjustment took awhile and just for a fit test I was asked to sit on the bike. Then was told it might take another couple hundred miles. Well I will say that if leather is not " broken in " by 4K plus miles then it is beyond me.

The pictures are not that good of the seat itself but it is all I have....

Bottom line. I went with an RDL build and have never been happier.
Caveat emptor......
:serious:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts