BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope this is the place to ask a few questions. I’m based in Seattle and am planning a ride into BC September 6th to around the 20th. The kicker is I have never ridden in your beautiful province. I’m asking for some tips. Here are a few thoughts:
1. I’d love to take the BC ferry from the tip of Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert. Then pick up Hwy 16 and start riding south. I’ll be on the K1600 so road quality is prime. Secondly, will I experience snow along the route that time of the year?
2. Where should I start heading south to get back to Seattle? I prolly won’t be camping so how is lodging along the route. Is the BC Ferry to Price Rupert a good idea? I’m a 40 year rider so I’m not alarmed by challenges but do respect local knowledge and expertise. I look forward to any input!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I live in BC but I'm afraid I have not done the trip you mention

Here is a link that may be helpful
http://vancouverisland.com/plan-your-trip/transportation-in-british-columbia/bc-ferry-port-hardy-prince-rupert-inside-passage/
https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/inside/ip-current.php

For weather you can check here, but I suspect you would be much more likely to see rain than snow

https://weatherspark.com/y/298/Average-Weather-in-Prince-Rupert-Canada-Year-Round

I'm a bike camper so cant help on accommodation I am afraid

Sounds like an awesome trip

Oh and be prepared. BC Ferries are run by the government and are eye wateringly expensive. Especially compared to your excellent Washington ferries!

Good luck

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Charlie3133!

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Many years ago I did some of that trip (Prince George to Prince Rupert, and then back to Prince George) The road was "fine" no worries about needing anything but a good eye for potholes. A map will tell the story that there isn't many towns along the way, but what it doesn't really convey is that there isn't ANYTHING (except amazing geography) along the way. You wont be stopping for coffee and light shopping.... I loved it but everyone is different. Make sure that you have excellent raingear that is at the TOP of your pack available to don at a moments notice. If you are like me, you will be soaked by the time you decide to put it on! In BC I have always found that you can have Sun, you can have rain, and 20 minutes later you can have sun WHILE being rained on. The only downside is occasionally, you can get rain from 6am to 10pm..

Sounds like a great trip! (oh, please watch for wildlife, they wander the roads, you can always find them by the idiot tourists that block the road to look at them while they put themselves and their children in danger-don't do that!)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent information Up 2 it! I see its 446 miles from Prince Rupert to Prince George. I was planning on one day. Doable?

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
When I did my trip I took two days to go to Prince Rupert but only one day return from Prince George.. If it was my only opportunity to see the area I would plan for two days just so you can stop at whatever tourist markers there are etc.. unless you are pressed for time. I am not sure what time the ferry gets into Prince Rupert etc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts