BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Frankly nobody on the street is going to outride any of those. So it comes down to cost and personal preference. Although the pirelli is the best sticky accd to the stop test.

I go for cost per mile bc I ride hard and by hard, my front tire is smooth (like zero tread on sides) in 3k miles and rears 2.5k miles. That includes the “long lasting” Michelins. Which aren’t worth it if you ride hard like me.

·
Administrator
17,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you saying that the tire compounds and tread pattern are different for these tires when sized for the K1600?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,346 Posts
@RL Lemke , neither. What I'm saying is an additional 100 lbs and 20% more torque make a significant difference in how well a tire performs under all conditions. Yes, I'd assume there is a difference in tire construction between a 180 vs 190 and a 73w vs 75w weight rating; e.g. the only way to compare apples is with apples...

Duane

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have second set of Roadtec 01 (HWM model). Not too happy with front but decided to ignore known nuisance(s) that provides. But I have to agree with Gunnert with regards to performance on different bikes. Used to love Michelins on my R1200RT but hated them on big K.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Is that front Roadtec 01 still made in China?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting article and may help which tire to decide to purchase in the future but I would have liked them to include some info on longevity. I'm not a super aggressive rider and my budget is a bit limited so longevity makes a difference in what tires I purchase.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,484 Posts
Is that front Roadtec 01 still made in China?
I was not able to find a German made front Roadtec 01 last year, looks like they moved production to China entirely. Most of the rear tires come from China as well. Same is to say for the heavy touring bike tires from Pirelli which is the parent company of Metzler. Pirelli is wholly owned by ChemChina company since 2015 and as longs as I can find an Angel GT 1 made in Germany I take them. Chinese made tires will not go on any of my vehicles maybe with the exception of the garden tractor. It remains to be seen how Chinese approach to product qulaity permeates through the European and other manufacturing sites.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,472 Posts
@RL Lemke , neither. What I'm saying is an additional 100 lbs and 20% more torque make a significant difference in how well a tire performs under all conditions. Yes, I'd assume there is a difference in tire construction between a 180 vs 190 and a 73w vs 75w weight rating; e.g. the only way to compare apples is with apples...

Duane
Yep. And it's more like 150-200 lbs., when you figure in they were testing the R1250RS without luggage, let alone most of us running a top case half the time, and half full at minimum. Plus, many of us are running versions of some of these tires with stiffer sidewalls, which even if the tread compound itself is still the same, can also affect performance.

I'm not at all surprised that under such conditions, a tire with which most of the K1600 crowd has not been impressed, whether they like to cruise along or tear it up, finished first.

Among top manufacturers, there are few if any really "bad tires" anymore, meaning not very good on anything, but there are certain tires that work better with certain bikes/cars. Based on the wide swath of folks here giving the Metz a "meh" on these bikes, I'm still not buying them.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,472 Posts
I was not able to find a German made front Roadtec 01 last year, looks like they moved production to China entirely. Most of the rear tires come from China as well. Same is to say for the heavy touring bike tires from Pirelli which is the parent company of Metzler. Pirelli is wholly owned by ChemChina company since 2015 and as longs as I can find an Angel GT 1 made in Germany I take them. Chinese made tires will not go on any of my vehicles maybe with the exception of the garden tractor. It remains to be seen how Chinese approach to product qulaity permeates through the European and other manufacturing sites.
I was told by a Metz rep at last year's rally that indeed, all the 01s were going to be made in China, unless you found a "new old stock" one from when they first came out. He also said they planned to move nearly everything to China, as that's where they had all the new capital investment in physical plant and modern equipment. He implied, without coming out and saying it, that they planned to keep a German plant open only to be able to say truthfully that "some" of their tires were still made there. He claimed the German plant was cramped and crowded, and the machinery was outdated. Of course, I have no way of knowing how much of that was accurate, versus trying to sell the customer on China-made "German" tires. Sprechen sie Mandarin? 😁

The Chinese are plenty smart, are not incompetent, and if they can be convinced it's required and profitable, they can make most anything, including a tire, every bit as well as other first-world countries, given the proper equipment. And BMW's experiment with Chinese-made small bike engines has gone well overall. Most folks like their Weaver tire-changers. But Metz or other manufacturers of premium goods HAVE to stay on top of QC, even if it takes one of their own in charge of the QC deparment on-site.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
What a wish-washy test. The two riders totally contradicted each other a few times, and even when they said negative things about the tires they came back and said they were fine. They sounded like they were afraid of losing any of them for their advertising dollars.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with Gunnert. Weight and torque are huge factors as to how well a tire performs. Yamaha’s flat plane crank played a roll in tire performance during a race. Nice article about it here: What are the Benefits of a Flat-Plane Crankshaft?

So, in addition to weight and torque, factor in power delivery of the motor. Might seem like splitting hairs but it makes a difference.

A bit of a stretch comparing tires between a R1250RS and a K1600GT/L; e.g. this tire test means little to nothing for the K bike rider.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
FWIW, if I were riding an RS, I’d use the same tire I use on my R, which is the Power RS. I’ve found the tire performs superbly in both wet and dry.

·
Registered
426 Posts
One has to wonder about their attention to detail when MCN shows a Continental tire in their assessment of the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Personally, I think any of those tires will perform adequately for the demands I would place on them. Country of manufacture carries more weight with me than a reviewer's subjective conclusion. In any case, we are fortunate to have so many fine choices.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
One has to wonder about their attention to detail when MCN shows a Continental tire in their assessment of the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Personally, I think any of those tires will perform adequately for the demands I would place on them. Country of manufacture carries more weight with me than a reviewer's subjective conclusion. In any case, we are fortunate to have so many fine choices.
Normally I try to avoid xenophobic issues, but why is the country of origin an issue?

Reactions: Gunnert
1 - 20 of 22 Posts